The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239 ... 286  Next
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 12:30 am 
Rank This Poster

I generally find the most annoying people to be like oasisfan and WM constantly "blathering on" about techniques and the business-side of things.

Honestly, I have NO interest in brewing my own beer. (Although I do enjoy knowing which hops I generally like.)

I'm sorry, but I just like drinking beer, I don't really need to know the all ins-and-outs of it.

If that makes me an "amateur critic" on beer, than so be it.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 1:22 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Either I misunderstood oasis or you did (probably I did.) I 110% agree that the beer nerds who can’t stop analyzing their beers and praising their local scene without a thought for the quality of said scene are the ones taking the fun out of beer.

It’s great to have an educated and opinionated bartender if they can get you excited about what you’re drinking, but it sounds like (in the case of Ruddo at least) that’s not the case in bars these days. Too often a beer conversation turns into a pissing match based on Untapped check-ins or a boring lecture about water profiles.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 1:28 am 
Rank This Poster

Yeah, that's not what he said at all.

You suck.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 1:36 am 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:
You suck.

lol ok r2d.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 2:19 am 
10Club Complaint Department

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 2:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Most beer nerds are insufferable, pretentious, douchebag assholes. When I was in Austin the bartender at one of the places was one, and it made my whole evening of just wanting to try local beers very disappointing.

Or most amateur critics of any mildly subjective topic. The more irritating thing to me, not that those traits aren't awful and I fully agree with you there, is their incessant blather due to the fact that most don't actually know shit about beer, brewing or the business but jump aboard hype trains and perpetuate a seriously flawed collective of beer fans that the internet really fostered.

Edit: And that collective includes brewers, financial backers and that side of it as well. not just calling out the 'fans' here.

Funny you say that. This experience was because when asked what I like, I simply said "nothing too hoppy, I'm kind of over IPAs for a while". The answer I got was, "so you don't want to try anything really good then, got it". I don't think my request was anything too specific, I just am interested in trying other things. Sours, etc. And it was cold out, he could have offered a good Porter or stout. I was open to anything other than something super hoppy.

So to your point, I was openly admitting I didn't know shit about local beer, and in turn was looked down upon

But "So you don't really want to try anything good" is either a tongue in cheek or absurd response altogether. The great thing about beer is the ability to explore the types you do like or not. Hell there's nothing at all wrong with liking Pilsner and Lager and that's it either, even those styles have tremendous variety.

To me, if you're expressing an interest, and you didn't have local knowledge you are who I want to engage, Most new Breweries make their flagship on whatever's hot at the moment and super hoppy has been in for sometime now, but that's thankfully changing somewhat and the porters, stouts, lagers, goses, berliner weisses etc of the world are coming (back) in style.

As a general fan of beer and whatever local scene I happen to be in at the moment, I'd be more interested in finding you something you might like to grow your interest in trying new beer rather than just pushing my opinion. It's freaking beer after all, it's not that serious. The whole damn point is to enjoy yourself.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 2:46 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Electromatic wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Most beer nerds are insufferable, pretentious, douchebag assholes. When I was in Austin the bartender at one of the places was one, and it made my whole evening of just wanting to try local beers very disappointing.

Or most amateur critics of any mildly subjective topic. The more irritating thing to me, not that those traits aren't awful and I fully agree with you there, is their incessant blather due to the fact that most don't actually know shit about beer, brewing or the business but jump aboard hype trains and perpetuate a seriously flawed collective of beer fans that the internet really fostered.

Edit: And that collective includes brewers, financial backers and that side of it as well. not just calling out the 'fans' here.

Funny you say that. This experience was because when asked what I like, I simply said "nothing too hoppy, I'm kind of over IPAs for a while". The answer I got was, "so you don't want to try anything really good then, got it". I don't think my request was anything too specific, I just am interested in trying other things. Sours, etc. And it was cold out, he could have offered a good Porter or stout. I was open to anything other than something super hoppy.

So to your point, I was openly admitting I didn't know shit about local beer, and in turn was looked down upon

But "So you don't really want to try anything good" is either a tongue in cheek or absurd response altogether. The great thing about beer is the ability to explore the types you do like or not. Hell there's nothing at all wrong with liking Pilsner and Lager and that's it either, even those styles have tremendous variety.

To me, if you're expressing an interest, and you didn't have local knowledge you are who I want to engage, Most new Breweries make their flagship on whatever's hot at the moment and super hoppy has been in for sometime now, but that's thankfully changing somewhat and the porters, stouts, lagers, goses, berliner weisses etc of the world are coming (back) in style.

As a general fan of beer and whatever local scene I happen to be in at the moment, I'd be more interested in finding you something you might like to grow your interest in trying new beer rather than just pushing my opinion. It's freaking beer after all, it's not that serious. The whole damn point is to enjoy yourself.

Well, his comment wasn't followed with any kind of reccomendation of any other beer. I went with something that was on their board that I had heard of, and it was good. I'm not sure if he was just busy, or just not a helpful person altogether. Most places like that will even offer a sample of one or two. In fact the place I went to the next night did just that. So I'm not sure what this guy's deal was. I should have known better when I sat down at the bar and saw his long hipster beard that I didn't know enough for him to interact positively with me.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 2:54 pm 
Polluted

This is why I drink alone at home.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 4:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Well, his comment wasn't followed with any kind of reccomendation of any other beer. I went with something that was on their board that I had heard of, and it was good. I'm not sure if he was just busy, or just not a helpful person altogether. Most places like that will even offer a sample of one or two. In fact the place I went to the next night did just that. So I'm not sure what this guy's deal was. I should have known better when I sat down at the bar and saw his long hipster beard that I didn't know enough for him to interact positively with me.

Probably just ran into a guy in a bad mood who decided to pigeonhole you without discussion. It happens.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 4:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

http://www.grubstreet.com/2019/03/coron ... rages.html

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 4:58 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Gross

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2019 7:49 am 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Gross

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2019 2:30 pm 
Future Drummer

PHATJ wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Gross

triple gross

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2019 7:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

My favorite bartender at my favorite brewery was fired. She claims it was because of "politics", the restaurant manager says she was nasty to all the other waitstaff.

I don't really care. All I know is she was great and all the "regulars" loved her.

I don't need to pulled into this shit. I just want to drink beer.

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2019 12:17 am 
Rank This Poster

run2death wrote:
My favorite bartender at my favorite brewery was fired. She claims it was because of "politics", the restaurant manager says she was nasty to all the other waitstaff.

I don't really care. All I know is she was great and all the "regulars" loved her.

I don't need to pulled into this shit. I just want to drink beer.

Sorry man, it happens.

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2019 3:38 am 

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 10:15 pm 
Rank This Poster

Had my first CBD-infused beer last night. Tasty, but $8 a pint during happy hour.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 7:29 pm 
Future Drummer

Ruddo, sorry you had a lame experience in Austin. Most folks here aren't like that, or at least I hope they're not.

I know I've gotten to the point where my eyes glaze over when most people talk about beer. It's all the same bullshit that I already know. Just pour the pint.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 7:41 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Orpheus wrote:
Ruddo, sorry you had a lame experience in Austin. Most folks here aren't like that, or at least I hope they're not.

I know I've gotten to the point where my eyes glaze over when most people talk about beer. It's all the same bullshit that I already know. Just pour the pint.

He should have gone to Grackle or White Horse.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 7:42 pm 

washing machine wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

He should have gone to Grackle or White Horse.

To be fair, Reid, this happened at a place that you recommended to me. So I'm not sure what to believe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239 ... 286  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining