The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 3:12 pm 
AnalLog

Tim Hecker is following up 2018's Konoyo with a companion album, Anoyo on May 10. He did something similar in 2011 with Ravedeath, 1972 and Dropped Pianos, and like that pairing, Anoyo comes from the same recording sessions as its companion and serves as a more stripped back, less processed look at Hecker's music, with the gagaku instruments more front and center and the electronics/production as background.

The opening track, "That World," can currently be listened to on Bandcamp:

PostPosted: Thu February 14, 2019 11:59 pm 
Rank This Poster

Brett wrote:
Tim Hecker is following up 2018's Konoyo with a companion album, Anoyo on May 10. He did something similar in 2011 with Ravedeath, 1972 and Dropped Pianos, and like that pairing, Anoyo comes from the same recording sessions as its companion and serves as a more stripped back, less processed look at Hecker's music, with the gagaku instruments more front and center and the electronics/production as background.

The opening track, "That World," can currently be listened to on Bandcamp:

this track is great

PostPosted: Fri February 15, 2019 12:07 am 
Rank This Poster

great song
great video

watch it

PostPosted: Fri February 15, 2019 7:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Tedeschi Trucks Band new one Signs came out today. A lot more contemplative that any of their predecessors. Songs are a little shorter and more concise than in the past. It is truly beautiful and Susan Tedeschi's voice manages to steal the spotlight on every song. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2019 3:51 pm 
AnalLog

New album by The Pirate Ship Quintet, their first since 2012's Rope For No-Hopers is coming out March 29 on Denovali, titled Emitter. Playing a style of heavy, neo-classical flavored post-rock, a preview track, "Symmetry is Dead" can be listened to now on Denovali's site (can't figure out a way to embed at the moment): https://www.denovali.com/thepirateshipquintet/

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2019 5:42 pm 
AnalLog

Brett wrote:
New album by The Pirate Ship Quintet, their first since 2012's Rope For No-Hopers is coming out March 29 on Denovali, titled Emitter. Playing a style of heavy, neo-classical flavored post-rock, a preview track, "Symmetry is Dead" can be listened to now on Denovali's site (can't figure out a way to embed at the moment): https://www.denovali.com/thepirateshipquintet/

cool. nice to see they are still putting out music!

PostPosted: Thu February 28, 2019 6:50 pm 
AnalLog

This post is a thematic one, because it's all about old music being celebrated anew.

I'll start with the newest Constellation announcement of Trinity Thirty a collaborative album by a pair of Berlin-based, Canadian expat electronic musicians/producers, Deadbeat and Camara (April 26). The album is a reinterpretation/cover of The Trinity Session by The Cowboy Junkies on the occasion of it's 30th anniversary, which was itself partly a covers album, including some traditional and county & western standards alongside the original songs. The new version of the album was intended to be a slowed down adaptation of the Junkies' already tripped-out style through an electronically processed lens, but the duo was captivated by their original takes and ended up leaving it much as it was recorded, very much akin to slowcore/shoegaze. Constellation has put out two album cuts for preview, "Mining for Gold," and "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry":

Speaking of slowcore, I had seen the name of Duster thrown about here and there on the internet, often in tangent to other stuff that I like such as early post-rock, but had never checked them out until a track came up recently on a Spotify-generated playlist. I was intrigued and did a bit of investigating, discovering that they were a short-lived, almost lost to time artifact of the late '90s/early '00s, and as luck would have it, they were about to get the reissue treatment by The Numero Group. Capsule Losing Contact (March 15) is a slightly remastered boxset that collects both of Duster's full-lengths, their more fully developed EPs and stand alone 7" singles, and a handful of b-sides and tracks recorded for compilations, though it unfortunately does not include the even rarer two albums done by their alter-ego, Valium Aggelein.

Here's one of those b-sides, "What You're Doing to Me": https://open.spotify.com/album/6J3exFWzizZxq2MEe7jK7w

Another reissue boxset that came put recently is Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990, basically what it says in the title, a collection of compositions by various Japanese composers inspired by the Western developments in ambient music, and the '80s bubble economy that allowed companies to commission exclusive pieces for background music in stores, consumer electronics, and advertisements.

Each edition of the collection has a different number of tracks due to licensing issues and space constraints; the 3 LP set has all 25 pieces, the 2 CD version has 23, and the digital edition has only 10. Here's the Bandcamp link of those 10:

PostPosted: Thu March 07, 2019 3:21 pm 
AnalLog

New Earth album, Full Upon Her Burning Lips is out May 24 on Sargent House. First single is "Cats on the Briar," and since it's Earth, you'll pretty much know what to expect by now if you've heard any of their music released in the last 15 years.

PostPosted: Thu March 07, 2019 5:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

:bammer:

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 1:32 am 
Rank This Poster

gooodd

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2019 6:10 pm 
Future Drummer

Stroopies - Woosh

If you're into that Aussie jangle.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 8:52 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Anyone enjoy The Claypool Lennon Delerium’s née album? It’s like psychedelic Beatles and Les Claypool smoked illegal substances with Pink Floyd and hit record. Yet, on second listen quite enjoyable.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 9:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

A good day.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2019 4:25 pm 
AnalLog

Here's a couple new things that came out recently:

Marla Hlady and Eric Chenaux have worked together for years on various sound art installations, and Marla has also recently contributed to some of Eric's recorded releases. The duo have released their first collaborative full-length, called Fluff through the Avatar art and performance gallery in Quebec. The whole thing can be listened to on Soundcloud:

Marc Codsi is a Lebanese musician who first came to some prominence with the band Scrambled Eggs who recorded a few albums and film scores before changing his focus towards more electronic music with the duo Lumi and his own solo works. He has a new solo album out on Annihaya Records, called A New World.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 5:45 pm 
AnalLog

And here's another thing, the next announced release from Constellation. After releasing his second solo album last year, Efrim Menuck took the material on tour, recruiting electronic/ambient/drone musician Kevin Doria (member of Growing and Hiss Tracts and aka Total Life and KGD) to help recreate the album's sound. The duo found their collaboration fertile for new music and quickly developed a number of new songs together, several of which have been collected for a new release on May 10, under both men's names, but being titled after their new project moniker. Thus that's Efrim Manuel Menuck & Kevin Doria - are SING SINCK, SING, with Sing, Sinck Sing being the name they will release future work under. Here's the closing track from the album, "We Will":

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2019 2:10 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Anders wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Sigrid's album is due out this month. Looking forward to that and Pearl Jam.

Same. Sigrid and I come from the same city.

Her album is pretty good

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2019 5:21 pm 
AnalLog

There's a new Eluvium album out May 31 on Temporary Residence as usual. It's called Pianoworks and is his second album to consist entirely of solo piano pieces. It also comes in a deluxe edition that includes Pianoworks Vol. 2 which is a collection of new recordings of old Eluvium piano songs from across his discography. Right now on Bandcamp, the album track "Recital" can be streamed along with "Radio Ballet" (originally from Copia) taken from the bonus album.

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2019 5:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Brett wrote:
There's a new Eluvium album out May 31 on Temporary Residence as usual. It's called Pianoworks and is his second album to consist entirely of solo piano pieces. It also comes in a deluxe edition that includes Pianoworks Vol. 2 which is a collection of new recordings of old Eluvium piano songs from across his discography. Right now on Bandcamp, the album track "Recital" can be streamed along with "Radio Ballet" (originally from Copia) taken from the bonus album.

i got an email about this from TR this morning and I'm intrigued. I generally dig most of Eluvium/Cooper's work. Looking forward to checking this out.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2019 5:38 pm 
AnalLog

bodysnatcher wrote:
Brett wrote:

i got an email about this from TR this morning and I'm intrigued. I generally dig most of Eluvium/Cooper's work. Looking forward to checking this out.

Yeah, that's how I learned of it, too. I knew he was working on new stuff because he occasionally posted snippets and updates on Facebook, but for some reason I assumed it would have been a regular ambient/pop classical thing and not something so rigidly thematic.

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2019 5:52 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I haven't listened to Eluvium since Nightmare Ending, which I loved

Oh and that weird looping / shuffle album he put out on Spotify

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands