The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: The handling of the Pearl Jam back catalogue.
PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2019 11:54 am 
AnalLog

The handling of the Pearl Jam back catalogue.

There's a lot to talk about. So many bands are doing this wrong. Like 'the Who', they have released so many compilations that almost none are definitive.
They still have a couple of b-sides that are not compiled on any disc. And they keep releasing deluxe editions, Townshend keeps finding gems in his extensive vaults.
Soundgarden is a band who has done it really well with the release of the 'Echo of Miles' boxset. It just has everything and more! Kim Thayil was involved and he has the same kind of back catalogue OCD that I have.

In a music industry where physical sales are still going down each year it's re-releases and compilation that make most of the vinyl and CD sales. So there is still a market for releasing your back catalogue. However, Pearl Jam is not very good at this. Let's look at their handling of back catalogue. Basically everything that is not considered a normal studio album release can be considered a release from your back catalogue. Any compilation or live-album counts.

GOOD:

Lost Dogs: Sure it's not complete. That makes it less than 'Echo of Miles', but it still is satisfying. They could have included songs like Ángel, Sonic Reducer or Leatherman. But for some reason they choose not to. They could have used different mixes. And the re-recordings are unnecessary. It's really time for Lost Dogs 2!!
Rearviewmirror: Greatest Hits: It does not say 'best of', this greatest hits package does exactly what it is supposed to do. The remixes are nice and it has some non-album tracks.
LO2L: PJ's first live album. A tracklist that gave a really good overview, each studio album had three tracks on it.

COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER

Ten/VS/Vitalogy legacy remasters: Finally we have a release of 'Brother' and the live discs are amazing!. But most of these boxes are heavy on memorabilia but not so much on songmaterial. I don't really care about memorabilia. The remasters (or remix) are well done, but these releases could have been much much better. Just take a look at the deluxe editions of 'Nevermind' or 'In Utero'. That's how its done.
PJ20 soundtrack Disc 1 is fine. It's just a soundtrack to the movie. Disc 2 is very very hit or miss. There are some interesting demo's but also unnecessary tracks. 'Chinese' was in the movie but not on this set. They should have released more unreleased stuff on disc 2. Every fan has plenty of bootlegs and could have made a more interesting disc.

TOTALLY UNNECESSARY

LO10L: An official follow-up to the 1998 LO2L release. The artwork is great, and there are some really cool cuts on this. But every track was already released on the live bootlegs series. This release was not anticipated (unlike Lost Dogs 2). What bothers me most is that it's really relying on hits or cuts from the TEN/VS/VITALOGY era. Whereas LO2L was so carefully constructed. They should have followed the same principle and put three tracks from every album since Yield. 15 tracks from Binaural, Riot Act, LD, S/T and BS. Oh..and 'off the earth' should have been on this.
Lets play two soundtrack: The only reason this was released is because people don't buy DVD's anymore. Unlike in 2007 when Immagine in Cornice was released. Fine movie but did not needed a soundtrack.

PJ has yet to release an excellent release from their back catalogue. The Mother Love Bone boxset was excellent, so was the TOTD deluxe edition, the Mad Season deluxe edition or the upcoming Green River remaster. So the PJ organization knows how it should be done ;)

Post subject: Re: The handling of the Pearl Jam back catalogue.
PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2019 12:43 pm 
Future Drummer

joostone wrote:
LO10L: An official follow-up to the 1998 LO2L release. The artwork is great, and there are some really cool cuts on this. But every track was already released on the live bootlegs series.

Yeah...but if I recall, some tracks are improvements because they were badly mixed on the bootlegs.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2019 1:43 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I just want Ed's techno album released

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2019 1:44 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Happy we got Unplugged with that release.

Can Single Video Theory count as well?

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2019 2:26 pm 
AnalLog

yeah, the unplugged was nice. But PJ20 showed that there is pro-shot footage from the Moore theatre 1990 show in the vaults......

Im bored and its raining so I made a TEN Super Deluxe edition (4CD) set. Imagine it was released like this (more similar to the Nevermind/In Utero editions)

Disc 1) TEN remaster (or remix) + B sides

Once
Even Flow
Alive
Why Go
Black
Jeremy
Oceans
Porch
Garden
Deep
Release
I've got A Feeling (bonustrack)
Wash (bonustrack)
Footsteps (bonustrack)
Dirty Frank (bonustrack)
State of Love and Trust (bonustrack)
Breath (bonustrack)
Yellow Ledbetter (bonustrack)

Disc 2 - The Stone Gossard & MAMASAN demos

Dollar Short
Richard’s ‘E’
Weird ‘A’
‘E’ Ballad
Doobie ‘E’
The King
Folk ‘D’
Times Of Trouble
Evil ‘E’
Agytian Crave
7Up
Untitled
Once (mamasan demo)
Alive (mamasan demo)
Footsteps (mamasan demo)

Disc 3 Galleria Potatohead demos (first week demos)

Alive
Alone
Black
Breath
Even Flow
Girl
Oceans
Once
Release
Evil Little Goat
Improv. (a.k.a. Yellow Ledbetter)

Disc 4 - London Bridge Studios (Rough mixes & outtakes)

Alone
Black
Breath
Even Flow
Garden
Just A Girl
Jeremy
Oceans
Once
Porch
Release
Brother
Why Go
Yellow Ledbetter (a.k.a. Yellow Letter)
Master / Slave
2000 Mile Blues
Hold On
Chinese

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2019 3:17 pm 
mXn

That last one at the end, I have it on good authority, was inspired by Tai Tung restaurant.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2019 3:39 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bammer wrote:
That last one at the end, I have it on good authority, was inspired by Tai Tung restaurant.

Not Hung Farlow's?

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2019 5:19 pm 
tl;dr

In general, the studio back catalog has been handled pretty poorly -- weird remixes, re-recordings, tracks scattered across otherwise superfluous releases, junky demos that don't illuminate the released versions in any meaningful way, and a handful of unique songs ("Angel," "Happy When I'm Crying," "Cold Confession") that still haven't received widespread release. Additionally, their mass-market live releases (with the exception of "Live on Two Legs") have been fairly weak distillations of what has been more or less a pretty sterling performing career, though I would submit that these releases feel random and slapdash precisely because they've released so many excellent shows in full, which makes consensus as to definitive performances, concerts, etc. near impossible, and therefore makes any curated selection feel incomplete and ill-considered (which they are in some cases; others, perhaps less so).

With many artists, I think these kinds of projects tend to be assembled on a case-by-case basis (oftentimes by different groups of individuals) based on what for better or for worse feels right at the time, with the long-term composition of the catalog being a tertiary concern at best -- which is disappointing, but not surprising. In the end there's still more officially-sanctioned quality Pearl Jam music than any sane person would want to hear in a lifetime; the 6-7 pieces of retail market detritus seem pretty insignificant by comparison.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2019 5:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

A solid Lost Dogs 2 would fix the first part of that.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2019 6:00 pm 
Broken Tamborine

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I just want Ed's techno album released

The one he made while tripping on ecstasy? Probably just a few songs. He did not like how it turned out according to an interview where he was discussing drugs, but he enjoyed the trip. In Hiding is Ed's shroom song right?

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2019 4:01 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

joostone wrote:
yeah, the unplugged was nice. But PJ20 showed that there is pro-shot footage from the Moore theatre 1990 show in the vaults......

Im bored and its raining so I made a TEN Super Deluxe edition (4CD) set. Imagine it was released like this (more similar to the Nevermind/In Utero editions)

Disc 1) TEN remaster (or remix) + B sides

Once
Even Flow
Alive
Why Go
Black
Jeremy
Oceans
Porch
Garden
Deep
Release
I've got A Feeling (bonustrack)
Wash (bonustrack)
Footsteps (bonustrack)
Dirty Frank (bonustrack)
State of Love and Trust (bonustrack)
Breath (bonustrack)
Yellow Ledbetter (bonustrack)

Disc 2 - The Stone Gossard & MAMASAN demos

Dollar Short
Richard’s ‘E’
Weird ‘A’
‘E’ Ballad
Doobie ‘E’
The King
Folk ‘D’
Times Of Trouble
Evil ‘E’
Agytian Crave
7Up
Untitled
Once (mamasan demo)
Alive (mamasan demo)
Footsteps (mamasan demo)

Disc 3 Galleria Potatohead demos (first week demos)

Alive
Alone
Black
Breath
Even Flow
Girl
Oceans
Once
Release
Evil Little Goat
Improv. (a.k.a. Yellow Ledbetter)

Disc 4 - London Bridge Studios (Rough mixes & outtakes)

Alone
Black
Breath
Even Flow
Garden
Just A Girl
Jeremy
Oceans
Once
Porch
Release
Brother
Why Go
Yellow Ledbetter (a.k.a. Yellow Letter)
Master / Slave
2000 Mile Blues
Hold On
Chinese

Maybe they're waiting for the 50th anniversary release........ can't give up all your income streams too soon.

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2019 4:03 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i bet there are some really good Lightning Bolt b-sides they haven't released that make the Ten era look like donkey sh1t

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2019 4:08 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

96583UP wrote:
i bet there are some really good Lightning Bolt b-sides they haven't released that make the Ten era look like donkey sh1t

Can't wait to hear the Beth reference edits on those.

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2019 5:53 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

LO10L basically killed my interest in them.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2019 12:38 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
PJ has yet to release an excellent release from their back catalogue. The Mother Love Bone boxset was excellent, so was the TOTD deluxe edition, the Mad Season deluxe edition or the upcoming Green River remaster. So the PJ organization knows how it should be done ;)

I'd say the problem is 15% them being a working band and trying to hold unreleased stuff for future ideas, and 85% Eddie being a douche about his image as an artist.

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2019 3:07 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I also think I liked the boxes more than you did. I enjoy going through the crap in those while listening to the album. Of course, Vs./Vitalogy was on sale for a long time and marked down several times, so I may be in the minority.

I would have bought the box that joostone created, but I would have listened to those mixes and demos one time then put the box on a nice spot on my shelf.

Actually, that's how I treat Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, so ... maybe I'm not a Pearl Jam fan.

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2019 4:16 pm 
tl;dr

Not at all, I think collecting objects that you never use just because they have the name "Pearl Jam" on them and then proceeding to display them all on a shelf is a pretty astute description of what Pearl Jam fandom looks like in 2019.

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2019 4:46 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I love the box sets. Yeah they could have more stuff , a dvd maybe...and the cassette is a cool item I never listened to, but I like them enough.
I do want another lost dogs.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2019 8:48 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:
In general, the studio back catalog has been handled pretty poorly -- weird remixes, re-recordings, tracks scattered across otherwise superfluous releases, junky demos that don't illuminate the released versions in any meaningful way, and a handful of unique songs ("Angel," "Happy When I'm Crying," "Cold Confession") that still haven't received widespread release. Additionally, their mass-market live releases (with the exception of "Live on Two Legs") have been fairly weak distillations of what has been more or less a pretty sterling performing career, though I would submit that these releases feel random and slapdash precisely because they've released so many excellent shows in full, which makes consensus as to definitive performances, concerts, etc. near impossible, and therefore makes any curated selection feel incomplete and ill-considered (which they are in some cases; others, perhaps less so).

With many artists, I think these kinds of projects tend to be assembled on a case-by-case basis (oftentimes by different groups of individuals) based on what for better or for worse feels right at the time, with the long-term composition of the catalog being a tertiary concern at best -- which is disappointing, but not surprising. In the end there's still more officially-sanctioned quality Pearl Jam music than any sane person would want to hear in a lifetime; the 6-7 pieces of retail market detritus seem pretty insignificant by comparison.

Absolutely! However, all of which will be forgotten with Lost Dogs 2 ;)

BTW. Is so weird that some early instrumentals like 'Folk D' and 'Untitled' on the Gossard tapes totally went unused. They just had too many great songs.
This is the same band who released 'Can't deny me' a year ago....

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2019 9:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

We’re probably due for another Ten remix, tbh.

It’s sort of like how the Titanic had a sister ship of roughly equal size and quality, which suffered a mutiny, served in World War 1, was painted to camouflage, rescued sailers, collided with another ship, and just in general had a richer story to tell. But the Titanic was an international moment and a loss and a shock all at once, so its memory gets preserved and recanted over and over again while the Olympic is basically forgotten.

All of Pearl Jam’s other efforts are the Olympic to Ten’s Titanic, and always shall be. The treatment those moments continues on every single level to reflect that status.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam