The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 3:10 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Quote:
In other words, SCOTUS judges are literally above the law?
All 83 ethics complaints against Brett Kavanaugh dismissed

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 5:45 pm 
The Master

i swear to fucking christ if this assclown gets to nominate yet another justice....

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 6:45 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

We had a great time at your dinner party, the wife wanted me to extend our thanks

Last edited by The Argonaut on Sat June 29, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 9:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

96583UP wrote:
96583UP wrote:
can't wait for ginsburg to announce she has 8 days to live and then Karl Rove gets sworn in

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 9:49 pm 
The Master

The Argonaut wrote:
If RBG dies while Trump is President, I hope god sends her to hell

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 10:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Strat wrote:
i swear to fucking christ if this assclown gets to nominate yet another justice....

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 10:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Huh. MacGuyver's had some work done.

PostPosted: Sat December 22, 2018 1:43 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I wonder who will come out of the woodwork to accuse Amy Coney Barrett of sexual assault. Will there be more than 3 accusers this time, and will Avenatti be involved again?

PostPosted: Sun December 23, 2018 10:26 pm 
AnalLog

simple schoolboy wrote:
I wonder who will come out of the woodwork to accuse Amy Coney Barrett of sexual assault. Will there be more than 3 accusers this time, and will Avenatti be involved again?

Curious why you think this yet Gorsuch had no such problems?

PostPosted: Mon December 24, 2018 2:01 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

meatwad wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Curious why you think this yet Gorsuch had no such problems?

Gorsuch meant the court kept its previous balance, despite the "stolen seat" objection. The spectre of Kavanaugh meant changing the balance of the court and everyone went insane about abortion, among other things.

PostPosted: Mon December 24, 2018 2:09 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i think over time in practice we will see that Kavanaugh's votes will not be the 'down the party line' far-right-stereotype-monstrosity that the arugula party is fearing

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2019 3:40 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I recently learned something that makes a lot of sense in hindsight: the 3rd amendment is the only amendment in the Bill of Rights never to be challenged at the Supreme Court. Federal courts have been asked to review a few cases on it, but it's never risen higher than that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Ame ... rpretation

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2019 3:45 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Simple Torture wrote:
I recently learned something that makes a lot of sense in hindsight: the 3rd amendment is the only amendment in the Bill of Rights never to be challenged at the Supreme Court. Federal courts have been asked to review a few cases on it, but it's never risen higher than that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Ame ... rpretation

We've not really had any situations that would call for the challenging of it, recently anyway, right?

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2019 4:01 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

We've not really had any situations that would call for the challenging of it, recently anyway, right?

The most recent case involved a guy who sued the police for using his house as a base of operations to survey his neighbor without his consent. The appeal was denied, and it set the important precedent--I guess--that city/county/state police are not "soldiers" for the purposes of the 3rd amendment.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2019 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Translation: the Kennedy-less SCOTUS wants to rule this a non-justiciable political question. I do not expect this to be good at all.

PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2019 1:00 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... feea608177
Quote:
The Supreme Court agreed Friday to review a new front in the battle over free speech and will decide whether trademark protection can be refused to brands the federal government finds vulgar or lewd.

The case involves a decision of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to deny trademark registration to a clothing line called FUCT.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit struck down the century-old ban on protecting “scandalous” and “immoral” trademarks as a First Amendment violation, and the Department of Justice wants the Supreme Court to reverse the decision.

Quote:
“The scandalous-marks provision does not prohibit any speech, proscribe any conduct, or restrict the use of any trademark. Nor does it restrict a mark owner’s common-law trademark protections,” Francisco wrote. “Rather, it simply directs the USPTO to refuse, on a viewpoint-neutral basis, to provide the benefits of federal registration to scandalous marks.”

But the Supreme Court in 2017 ruled unanimously that another part of the trademark law — one that banned registering trademarks that were considered “disparaging”— violated the First Amendment.

That ruling, Matal v. Tam, came in a case that involved an Asian American rock group called the Slants, which tried to register the band’s name in 2011. The band was turned down by the USPTO because officials said it was likely to offend Asian Americans.

heh, FUCT.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2019 12:49 am 
Site Admin

BurtReynolds wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-to-decide-if-trademark-protection-can-be-denied-to-scandalous-brands/2019/01/04/83c18948-1061-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html?utm_term=.c4feea608177
Quote:
The Supreme Court agreed Friday to review a new front in the battle over free speech and will decide whether trademark protection can be refused to brands the federal government finds vulgar or lewd.

The case involves a decision of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to deny trademark registration to a clothing line called FUCT.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit struck down the century-old ban on protecting “scandalous” and “immoral” trademarks as a First Amendment violation, and the Department of Justice wants the Supreme Court to reverse the decision.

Quote:
“The scandalous-marks provision does not prohibit any speech, proscribe any conduct, or restrict the use of any trademark. Nor does it restrict a mark owner’s common-law trademark protections,” Francisco wrote. “Rather, it simply directs the USPTO to refuse, on a viewpoint-neutral basis, to provide the benefits of federal registration to scandalous marks.”

But the Supreme Court in 2017 ruled unanimously that another part of the trademark law — one that banned registering trademarks that were considered “disparaging”— violated the First Amendment.

That ruling, Matal v. Tam, came in a case that involved an Asian American rock group called the Slants, which tried to register the band’s name in 2011. The band was turned down by the USPTO because officials said it was likely to offend Asian Americans.

heh, FUCT.
This aspiring business will be keen[e]ly watching this case.

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2019 12:51 am 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-to-decide-if-trademark-protection-can-be-denied-to-scandalous-brands/2019/01/04/83c18948-1061-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html?utm_term=.c4feea608177
Quote:

Quote:

heh, FUCT.
This aspiring business will be keen[e]ly watching this case.

Oh c'mon. Pho Pun's are an american fucking tradition.

WE have a Pho20 here....

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2019 4:02 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

but the issue is not the graphic depicting a rice-paddy ch*nk stereotype?

asking for a self-loathing white cis friend

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate