The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Thu November 01, 2018 3:11 pm 
The Master

Loved loved loved the Roger Daltrey WTF. I was shocked when it ended; the time just flew by.

PostPosted: Thu November 01, 2018 4:02 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Roger is a really lovely guy. Kept his head and didn’t lose himself in all the rock star bullshit. Remarkable really.

PostPosted: Thu November 01, 2018 10:15 pm 
AnalLog

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Loved loved loved the Roger Daltrey WTF. I was shocked when it ended; the time just flew by.

Yeah, great episode. I also really liked the Eric Idle one from last week.

PostPosted: Thu November 01, 2018 10:29 pm 
The Master

swan wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Yep, and John Cleese. He’d be on a hot streak if it weren’t for the unbearably boring Busy Phillips and Zoe Kazan episodes.

PostPosted: Thu November 01, 2018 10:42 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
swan wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Yep, and John Cleese. He’d be on a hot streak if it weren’t for the unbearably boring Busy Phillips and Zoe Kazan episodes.

Busy was awful, what an annoying person. I really like Zoe Kazan, but her interview wasn't great.

PostPosted: Thu November 01, 2018 11:27 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
swan wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Busy was awful, what an annoying person. I really like Zoe Kazan, but her interview wasn't great.

I bailed on both before the end. Kazan’s fixation on college is weird and pathetic

PostPosted: Mon November 05, 2018 10:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I have finally decided that I'm done with the Night Vale franchise. I liked it but this season has been complete crap. They need to find a way to end the show and work towards that instead of trying to make it go on forever. Especially since the latest triptych of episodes haven't even been about Night Vale, and as such have been worse than usual.

The ending of Alice Isn't Dead was at least an ending. Not a very good one but hey, it ended. They might make a TV series out of it and I hope they do a better job. There's a book but I'm not feeling it, especially after hearing a few parts of the audiobook on the podcast feed. I was excited about the book festival this weekend and was wanting to go for the Alice Isn't Dead book but now I'm not going.

The rest of their shows do not grab me at all. They actually have been actively repulsing me with every new one they release. I'm getting tired of the "thing, thing, WACKY THING" trope that is present in all of the shows, doesn't matter the writer. It's just boring and trite.

Within the Wires was an interesting first season but ultimately it just went off the rails. The Orbiting Human Circus (of the Air) was a dumb idea from the second episode. Conversations With People Who Hate Me just didn't grab me at all. I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats I couldn't give two shits about because I don't like the band anyway. It Makes A Sound I don't even remember enough to write about. The commercials for Pounded In The Butt By My Own Podcast and having to listen to that man's voice was enough to make me never want to listen to an episode. Good Morning Night Vale was about five years too late. If ever I wanted to hear someone talk about the first season of Night Vale, it was while or shortly after said season aired. Adventures in New America had a bad first episode and clunky writing and caricature that was so broad that it bordered on obscene.

PostPosted: Tue November 06, 2018 3:27 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LetMeSleep wrote:
https://slate.com/culture/2018/06/decoder-ring-explores-how-a-conspiracy-theory-about-a-gay-sherlock-holmes-brought-a-fandom-into-chaos.html

Holy shit this is a peek into a crazy world.

Quote:
Decoder Ring is a podcast about cracking cultural mysteries. Every month host Willa Paskin, Slate’s TV critic, takes on a cultural question, object, idea, or habit and speaks with experts, historians, and obsessives to try to figure out where it comes from, what it means, and why it matters.

Today: Who gets to decide if Sherlock Holmes is gay? For more than a century, fans of Sherlock Holmes have been analyzing, debating, and creating new texts using Arthur Conan Doyle’s characters. Decoder Ring explores the Johnlock conspiracy, a fan theory about the BBC TV show Sherlock, which posits the inevitability of a gay romance between Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. With interviews from historians, journalists, and fans at the heart of this controversial idea, this episode explores the theory, how it played out in the real world, and whether this kind of fandom is a meaningful way of interacting with fiction.

The Ong's Hat episode made me want to punch something.

If you ever want to know why my relationship with RM is conflicted, this episode provides all the evidence.

PostPosted: Tue November 06, 2018 5:42 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

The Daltrey episode was a fantastic listen thanks for the heads up LV

‘Ours is not music to fuck to. Ours is music to fight to.’

I’ve never heard The Who described so perfectly and succinctly :)

PostPosted: Wed November 07, 2018 6:20 am 
10Club Complaint Department

durdencommatyler wrote:

If you ever want to know why my relationship with RM is conflicted, this episode provides all the evidence.

What a bunch of arse hats. Had moments of flashbacks to S-Town.

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 2:19 am 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
https://slate.com/culture/2018/06/decoder-ring-explores-how-a-conspiracy-theory-about-a-gay-sherlock-holmes-brought-a-fandom-into-chaos.html

Quote:
Decoder Ring is a podcast about cracking cultural mysteries. Every month host Willa Paskin, Slate’s TV critic, takes on a cultural question, object, idea, or habit and speaks with experts, historians, and obsessives to try to figure out where it comes from, what it means, and why it matters.

Today: Who gets to decide if Sherlock Holmes is gay? For more than a century, fans of Sherlock Holmes have been analyzing, debating, and creating new texts using Arthur Conan Doyle’s characters. Decoder Ring explores the Johnlock conspiracy, a fan theory about the BBC TV show Sherlock, which posits the inevitability of a gay romance between Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. With interviews from historians, journalists, and fans at the heart of this controversial idea, this episode explores the theory, how it played out in the real world, and whether this kind of fandom is a meaningful way of interacting with fiction.

I know nothing of Ong's Hat. A quick look at the wikipedia entry for it and your comparison to RM really make me want to hear this one. Good?

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 5:37 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Quote:

I know nothing of Ong's Hat. A quick look at the wikipedia entry for it and your comparison to RM really make me want to hear this one. Good?

I imagine most people will find it super interesting. It made me furious and made me feel like my entire life is one big gaslit light.

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 5:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Also, the most recent Reply All about the Snapchat Thief is awesome. And also makes me hate the world. And also makes me love people sometimes. And is creepy and terrifying and warming. And I loved it.

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 6:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Quote:

I imagine most people will find it super interesting. It made me furious and made me feel like my entire life is one big gaslit light.

Kinda like that one Reply All episode?

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 8:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Quote:

Which one? The one about the NYC artist? No, that was awesome. This is shitty.

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 8:46 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 9:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Quote:

Oh, yeah. That was a great one too. Yeah, this Ong's Hat thing is way worse. I'd like to punch the guy who came up with the Ong Hat's hoax right in the throat.

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 9:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

That Zardulu one was amazing, if that’s the NYC artist episode you are talking about.

Not inconceivable that knee tunes and Zardulu are one and the same.

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 9:16 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Quote:

Oh, yeah. That was a great one too. Yeah, this Ong's Hat thing is way worse. I'd like to punch the guy who came up with the Ong Hat's hoax right in the throat.

Though, come to think of it, there are massive similarities between that Reply All and this one. Still, I think this other thing bugs me more because the guy is such a chode about it -- AND the episode wants to cut him slack --- AND they do some obnoxious ad stuff.

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 9:22 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I know what I'm listening to tomorrow during my payroll and inventory crunch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 134  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment