The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2941 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 148  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Wed October 03, 2018 5:36 am 
mXn

Love this damn show.

Lyle is the fucking man.

PostPosted: Wed October 03, 2018 3:13 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Wonderful ep.
I loved everything about Kim and Jimmy. And fuck i enjoyed Lalo so much..he meeting with Gus. fuuuck.

Doesnt look good for the german guy though.

PostPosted: Wed October 03, 2018 3:28 pm 
The Master

Still an episode behind, but I've really enjoyed the performance of the German engineer.

PostPosted: Thu October 04, 2018 2:25 am 
Major Dude

Well, maybe Kim’s not still in the picture during BB.

Goddamn what a great episode.

PostPosted: Tue October 09, 2018 2:14 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Poor Mike, he couldn't save him .

PostPosted: Tue October 09, 2018 4:02 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Wow. A beautiful and heartbreaking finale for a rich and complex season.

- The episode had me from the start with that wonderful cold open. The writers played some mind games on us with this one.
- The "lab building" subplot was never about building a lab, but about Mike slowly crossing his own personal lines in Gus's service. This was the first time he kills for him. It won't be the last.
- The parallels between Werner and Walter White are STRONG. This illuminates Mike's (and Gus's) relationship with Walt in a number of ways. I kept having flashbacks to the Walt of seasons 3 and 4 of Breaking Bad. Groveling, wheedling, bargaining.
- Lalo is so fucking cool. I can't wait to see what they do with him in season 5.
- Someone please give Odenkirk an award already. He was outstanding all through this episode.
- Also some great, understated work from Rhea Seehorn during and immediately after Odenkirk's monologue.
- And what a rollercoaster ride that monologue was. It felt tender and real, like a true act of closure for the brothers after all the shit that happened between them... and then to have the rug pulled out from under you as an audience and feel like a complete sucker for buying it.
- The transformation is complete, and it has been for a while.

I'm so happy with this

PostPosted: Tue October 09, 2018 5:07 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Interesting turn. It makes me realize that this show isn't actually about Jimmy and Saul or Jimmy and Kim. The show has always been about Jimmy and Chuck. And it continues to be about Jimmy and Chuck even a year after Chuck's death. It may be that Jimmy died with Chuck, and the only thing keeping Saul in check all that time was Jimmy's desire to get Chuck to accept him.
Kim doesn't love Saul, she loves Jimmy. There was always a little bit of Saul in Jimmy, so she can still recognize some things from the man she loves. She hasn't yet realized that that man is dead.
Will this relationship just peter out? Or will there be some big moment that shows her the irreversible truth of what has happened to Jimmy?

PostPosted: Tue October 09, 2018 2:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

Jesus, what an episode.

Was that actually the climax? Is the rest resolution?

PostPosted: Tue October 09, 2018 2:37 pm 
The Master

I'm still pretty unsettled by the German's storyline.

PostPosted: Tue October 09, 2018 3:35 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

run2death wrote:
Jesus, what an episode.

Was that actually the climax? Is the rest resolution?

It really does feel that way.

PostPosted: Tue October 09, 2018 3:41 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Yep. Though we know from Breaking Bad that Saul gets involved in some cartel stuff that puts him in Lalo's crosshairs. That will be cool to see.

PostPosted: Wed October 10, 2018 1:19 am 
Major Dude

What a fucking opening!!

PostPosted: Wed October 10, 2018 2:44 am 
Major Dude

Amazing to see two men die.

The hearing was just incredible. And for Jimmy to have conned Kim just makes it more damning.

Also, nice symmetry for Jimmy to have his “I won.” moment at the end of BCS’ fourth season, just as Walt had his at the end of BREAKING BAD’s fourth season? In both cases, the lead character’s love interest is horrified to hear it, too.

This is the best fucking show on TV. Bar none.

I want to have Rhea Seehorn's baby.

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 1:38 am 
mXn

Was the $23k for the library or just the catering? That’s a cheap library.

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 1:48 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It's just a dedication in the reading room, if I recall correctly

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 4:41 am 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
Was the $23k for the library or just the catering? That’s a cheap library.

it's all wood, man.

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 8:54 pm 
Champion of RM

I've been behind the whole season, so I've stayed out of this thread. I just finished up. My only question is, is the letter that Kim gave Jimmy the same letter that Howard gave Kim? The episode where Kim received the letter she went to the courthouse before going to Jimmy. We never saw what she did. This was before all of the PD stuff. Did she rewrite the letter? If Jimmy finds out that Chuck's real letter was, in fact, "A fuck you from beyond the grave" rather than a kind, by Chuck standards, final farewell, then that would definately "kill" what remains of Jimmy. Long live Saul.

How was Nacho referenced in BB? Was Lola mentioned too?

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 10:03 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

CopperTom wrote:
I've been behind the whole season, so I've stayed out of this thread. I just finished up. My only question is, is the letter that Kim gave Jimmy the same letter that Howard gave Kim? The episode where Kim received the letter she went to the courthouse before going to Jimmy. We never saw what she did. This was before all of the PD stuff. Did she rewrite the letter? If Jimmy finds out that Chuck's real letter was, in fact, "A fuck you from beyond the grave" rather than a kind, by Chuck standards, final farewell, then that would definately "kill" what remains of Jimmy. Long live Saul.

We have no reason to believe it's a different letter. I'm certain those were Chuck's words.
I think Kim's visit to the courthouse was to watch PD cases. We see her do it in the following episode. Why would she need to go to a courthouse to write a fake letter?

CopperTom wrote:

Back in BB season 2, when Walt and Jesse are trying to get Badger out of jail without making a deal with the DEA, they turn to Saul. Walt offers him a bribe, but Saul rejects it ("I don't take bribes from strangers"). Later, they ambush Saul as he's leaving his office, and then drive him out to the desert and threaten to kill him while wearing ski masks. Saul's first instinct is to say "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio!" (Nacho's name is Ignacio) and "Siempre soy amigo del cartel!" ("I'm always a friend of the cartel!"). Then he asks "Lalo didn't send you?" and breathes a sigh of relief.

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 11:10 pm 
Champion of RM

theplatypus wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

We have no reason to believe it's a different letter. I'm certain those were Chuck's words.
I think Kim's visit to the courthouse was to watch PD cases. We see her do it in the following episode. Why would she need to go to a courthouse to write a fake letter?

CopperTom wrote:

Back in BB season 2, when Walt and Jesse are trying to get Badger out of jail without making a deal with the DEA, they turn to Saul. Walt offers him a bribe, but Saul rejects it ("I don't take bribes from strangers"). Later, they ambush Saul as he's leaving his office, and then drive him out to the desert and threaten to kill him while wearing ski masks. Saul's first instinct is to say "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio!" (Nacho's name is Ignacio) and "Siempre soy amigo del cartel!" ("I'm always a friend of the cartel!"). Then he asks "Lalo didn't send you?" and breathes a sigh of relief.

She needed to write it somewhere - she was still working from home at the beginning of the season. I also figured that she needed to see his signature to forge it - I'm sure it's on some paperwork at the courthouse. The letter was either general enough or contained details she already knew. Something just seemed a tick unusual with all of the letter scenes early on and when it was revisited at the end, it just seemed like a red flag to me. Leading to the appeal hearing, Kim wanted Jimmy to talk about Chuck, but Jimmy wanted to read the letter instead (because he didn't know Kim actually wrote it).

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 11:24 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I think you're overthinking it. She went to the courthouse immediately following her Mesa Verde meeting (unfulfilling bank work) to see PD cases (defending people who need help being her real passion; remember she wanted to be Atticus Finch). We see this play out in the very next episode.

What about the letter makes you think Chuck didn't write it? All of it felt very Chuck-- proper, polite, vaguely condescending. It was written years before all the shitty stuff went down, back when there was genuine affection between the brothers (as seen on this week's cold open), despite Chuck's latent resentment towards Jimmy. Also, what would pulling a "gotcha" moment about the letter accomplish?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2941 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 148  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment