The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2941 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 148  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 1:17 am 
Rank This Poster

"The worst" seems like hyperbole.

Spoiler: show
It's pretty clear Jimmy undergoes some sort of mental break that creates "Saul" and his brother's death hasn't really done that so far.

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 1:22 am 
Major Dude

run2death wrote:
"The worst" seems like hyperbole.

It's pretty clear Jimmy undergoes some sort of mental break that creates "Saul" and his brother's death hasn't really done that so far.

He’s already Saul.

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 1:23 am 
Rank This Poster

Not really.

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 1:31 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

He’s much more Saul than Jimmy. The last two eps have clearly shown that. All he needs is his disbarment to be lifted and he’s in business. I don’t think it’s going to take any devastating loss of Kim to get him there. I think he’ll be full on Saul before Kim’s outcome is decided.

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 1:39 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Jimmy would never betray Kim. We have seen him before take the weight of the consequences of some mistake or get himself into trouble to protect someone he is loyal to. He was about to do it with Huell right now. I can see a situation where, under Jimmy's negative influence, Kim gets herself into a tough situation with him (it might start or look like what is happening with Huell right now). She tries to help Jimmy because she loves him and she pities him, but they end up together facing the negative consequences.
I can see the birth of Saul being the moment when he lets Kim take the weight of something bad she did to help him, and not putting himself at risk to protect her. Kim doesn't die, she just gets disbarred or something (which would be a tragedy for her, law is her love and her passion)

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 1:43 am 
Rank This Poster

I'm not saying she should or will die. Just that it'll be something to do with her that finally send Jimmy over the edge.

She's the finger in the dike.

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 1:46 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I think if anybody is waiting for a momentous, cataclysmic event that pushes Jimmy over the edge into "Saul" territory, they're probably not going to get that. This show has been 4 solid seasons of small, incremental steps towards Sauldom, and one of the show's central themes is that that kind of change is seldom rapid or linear. There are setbacks, stumbles, hesitation and flip-flopping all along the way-- I read a good reddit thread recently that outlined all of them, and made this point. Jimmy has been a conflicted character for all 4 seasons, but through the series of changes he's been through (most recently, his completely unhealthy way of coping with his brother's death and with Kim's rejection of him as a law partner by suppressing his feelings and embracing his worst impulses), he's leaning more towards Saul than ever. How boring it would be for the transformation to boil down to a single traumatic incident when we've had 4 seasons of rich, nuanced development.

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 1:53 am 
slower than 82% of US

theplatypus wrote:
I think if anybody is waiting for a momentous, cataclysmic event that pushes Jimmy over the edge into "Saul" territory, they're probably not going to get that. This show has been 4 solid seasons of small, incremental steps towards Sauldom, and one of the show's central themes is that that kind of change is seldom rapid or linear. There are setbacks, stumbles, hesitation and flip-flopping all along the way-- I read a good reddit thread recently that outlined all of them, and made this point. Jimmy has been a conflicted character for all 4 seasons, but through the series of changes he's been through (most recently, his completely unhealthy way of coping with his brother's death and with Kim's rejection of him as a law partner by suppressing his feelings and embracing his worst impulses), he's leaning more towards Saul than ever. How boring it would be for the transformation to boil down to a single traumatic incident when we've had 4 seasons of rich, nuanced development.

so you could say that this is the process of him breaking bad?

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 1:54 am 
Rank This Poster

I've been saying that for years.

nyquillyn wrote:
This has quietly become one of my favorite shows. The pacing is excellent. Nothing feels rushed or too slow. It really seems like they know exactly the story they want to tell and know all of the character arcs.

But I still think there's a moment with Kim that'll be a pivotal moment in the series.

Also, LOL @ cataclysmic.

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 1:54 am 

There has to be some big moment at the end. That's how it works. Even this show has its big choices made, its major milestones, its moments

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 2:05 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The Argonaut wrote:
There has to be some big moment at the end. That's how it works. Even this show has its big choices made, its major milestones, its moments

Of course, but my point is that even those big moments have nudged Jimmy along in his transformation, and having a grand, dramatic incident -- like Kim's death -- be the sole catalyst of the transformation would be a disservive to the arc they've built so far. At least in theory. Maybe there is a way they could pull it off in practice

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 2:11 am 

I agree with you. Kim duing would not fit this show. But something along the lines of what I said, Jimmy gets Kim into trouble and then betrays het to save his own neck, could

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 2:12 am 
Rank This Poster

Yeah, Kim duing would be terrible.

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 2:13 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The Argonaut wrote:
I agree with you. Kim duing would not fit this show. But something along the lines of what I said, Jimmy gets Kim into trouble and then betrays het to save his own neck, could

Yep, but the way I see it, that would be a symptom of the transformation that has already been slowly occuring over 4 seasons (or 2 years, canonically*). Not an incident that precipitates it.

*btw, I don't think we discussed this aspect of the last episode yet: what an elegant way to finesse a time jump. Reminded me of Sopranos season openers.

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 2:31 am 
Rank This Poster

Mr. Gilligan has talked several times about what he sees as Walter's turning point (E4S1), I'm guessing he sees that for Jimmy as well.

PostPosted: Thu September 20, 2018 2:35 am 
Rank This Poster

Many writers deal in those kinds of absolutes, even in something as slow-developing as BCS.

PostPosted: Tue September 25, 2018 4:31 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Loved Lalo! I can tell he's gonna be a frightening mofo. And I am so glad they finally hired a competent Spanish speaker.

theplatypus wrote:
Jimmy/Kim theory

I think she might start to damage her reputation by becoming involved in one of his schemes (this Huell case might be it), and Jimmy comes to the realization that he's bad for her, and distances himself voluntarily. OR he purposely sabotages their relationship. Kind of like what happened with Mrs. Landry last season.

Becoming more confident that this is the direction they'll go with it, but of course they could pull a fast one on us

PostPosted: Tue September 25, 2018 4:48 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

http://www.freewill-baptistchurch.com/

PostPosted: Tue September 25, 2018 2:22 pm 
RM Elitist

The defense of Huell was so good.

PostPosted: Tue September 25, 2018 3:23 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

What a great ep. loved everything. Man, fringe is frightening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2941 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 148  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment