The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 191  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 7:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
That last paragraph? I don't see how that shows her doing anything other than trying to keep this letter under wraps until other Democrats made it public on their own.

Because you are presupposing good intentions on her part. Look at it this way; if it leaked she could play it as “I was defending the desires of the victim” and if it didn’t she could swoop in at the last second and leak it herself (assuming that wasn’t the original source of the story). Either way she is smart and clearly realized the political value of the information and held it close.

Allegedly, Buzzfeed was able to identify the woman when the rumors stated last week, which itself suggests a level of legitimacy to the accusation.

Aren't you, like, kind of presupposing bad intentions? This "let's make up a narrative in our head" does work both ways, you know.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 7:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Because you are presupposing good intentions on her part.

That is presupposing, yes.

Quote:
if it leaked she could play it as “I was defending the desires of the victim” and if it didn’t she could swoop in at the last second and leak it herself

That is presupposing, yes.

More realistically, she probably saw releasing a letter by someone who didn’t want to come forward as likely to blow back, and a distraction from other (roe or other) arguments.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 7:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bune wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
That last paragraph? I don't see how that shows her doing anything other than trying to keep this letter under wraps until other Democrats made it public on their own.

Because you are presupposing good intentions on her part. Look at it this way; if it leaked she could play it as “I was defending the desires of the victim” and if it didn’t she could swoop in at the last second and leak it herself (assuming that wasn’t the original source of the story). Either way she is smart and clearly realized the political value of the information and held it close.

Allegedly, Buzzfeed was able to identify the woman when the rumors stated last week, which itself suggests a level of legitimacy to the accusation.

Aren't you, like, kind of presupposing bad intentions? This "let's make up a narrative in our head" does work both ways, you know.

I am. But I would point to the long history of Senators being politicians as the reason why.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 9:16 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
bune wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

I am. But I would point to the long history of Senators being politicians as the reason why.

:P

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 10:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
bune wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 10:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

well hopefully the Trump FBI will take this review seriously and leave no corner unturned in the pursuit of truth:

- was she hot
- was she dressed like she wanted it

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat September 15, 2018 4:04 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Wait, Feinstein gets the benefit of the doubt? Why tho?

PostPosted: Sat September 15, 2018 12:28 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:

Welcome to the debate of the last two pages!

PostPosted: Sat September 15, 2018 9:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Guys, who cares? Like trag said, you can rape whomever you want if you're in high school.

PostPosted: Sat September 15, 2018 9:30 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
B wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Guys, who cares? Like trag said, you can rape whomever you want if you're in high school.

joe

PostPosted: Sat September 15, 2018 9:31 pm 
The Master

My point was that if the goal was to end his confirmation, a high school rape accusation is a useless way to go about it.

PostPosted: Sat September 15, 2018 9:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
My point was that if the goal was to end his confirmation, a high school rape accusation is a useless way to go about it.

trag

PostPosted: Sat September 15, 2018 10:50 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:

It could very well change the votes of the female pro-choice republicans in the senate, which was the point of the maneuver

PostPosted: Sat September 15, 2018 10:58 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

It could very well change the votes of the female pro-choice republicans in the senate, which was the point of the maneuver

Collins & Murkowski could very well change their minds, in which case, yeah, id be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun September 16, 2018 12:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i wonder how many senators have raped somebody

probably at least 20

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun September 16, 2018 12:27 am 
The Master

current or all time?

PostPosted: Sun September 16, 2018 12:28 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

current

all time is prob like 1,865

PostPosted: Sun September 16, 2018 6:12 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

You've been visited by Magic Mitch The Cocaine Turtle. Share immediately to kill Ruth Bader Ginsberg and install another right wing supreme court justice.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun September 16, 2018 7:40 am 
10Club Complaint Department

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/14/facebook-weekly-standard-suppressed-a-story-about-brett-kavanaughs-opposition-to-roe-v-wade-were-republishing-it/

Quote:
Editor’s note: On September 9, Think Progress published an article by Ian Millhiser that made text out of the subtext of Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation process, describing how the Supreme Court nominee, in a fairly straightforward legal analysis, had revealed his belief that Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided. That legal analysis, the article noted, matched comments Kavanaugh had made in a speech in 2017. “Kavanaugh’s 2017 speech, when laid alongside a statement he made during his confirmation hearing, eliminates any doubt that he opposes Roe,” Millhiser wrote. Facebook, meanwhile, had empowered the right-wing outlet the Weekly Standard to “fact check” articles. The Weekly Standard, invested in Kavanaugh’s confirmation, deemed the Think Progress article “false.” The story was effectively nuked from Facebook, with other outlets threatened with traffic and monetary consequences if they shared it. The story is republished below, with permission from Think Progress, though not from Facebook or the Weekly Standard.

PostPosted: Sun September 16, 2018 8:33 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Let the censorship wars commence!

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... naugh.html

Quote:
the consequences could be quite severe for left-leaning outlets generally—or potentially for any other outlet which publishes a news article that The Weekly Standard disagrees with.

Wow, internet censors censoring things they don't like? WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING?! The Left would never do something like this!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 191  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate