The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

NAIS, Of The Earth, and Parting Ways all could be made staples of the encore instead of covers and all would rejoice

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:23 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

96583UP wrote:
NAIS, Of The Earth, and Parting Ways all could be made staples of the encore instead of covers and all would rejoice

True. This would be amazing:

Encore 1:
(ed solo song)
(some butt rocker song)
Parting Ways
NAIS
OTE

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:25 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I think one of the strengths of the 1998/2000 setlists is that they were relatively limited in scope (or, if you prefer, more focused); they didn't play Glorified G, or Deep, or Blood, or Why Go, etc.

I like the "standard" songs and setlist construction. They play Alive, RITFW and Yellow Ledbetter at the end of the show because they work really well in that context; same for Porch or RVM to close out a main set/encore.

It would be a mistake to think that introducing even more setlist variety (both in songs and overall construction) would be an improvement, I think they've already taken it too far (see Evil Little Goat, Out of My Mind, etc.)

I hate all the covers though (not including RITFW, Baba and Fuckin' Up) - ditch them all.

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:51 pm 
Banned from the Pit

mikejasond wrote:
Captain Termite wrote:
They haven't exactly exhausted the material - they just gave up on 2/3 of each of the last three albums almost immediately.

Do we want to hear Marker In the Sand, The End, and My Father's Son instead of Once, Elderly Woman, and Immortality? Probably?

....No?

But yeah the Encore 2's REALLY need shaking it up. Can they find more classic rock covers to play besides Baba and RITFW? If they're gonna do em pick some new ones Im so sick of those same songs. I'm sick of Alive, Rockin, Baba, Indifference, YL, Comfortably Numb, Fuckin Up....ALWAYS being the last songs. ALWAYS. Maybe a betterman thrown in.

Like...seriously....put some new songs in that spot. And maybe move those other songs somewhere else in the set? Have they ever played YL somewhere besides the end of their shows? Why not move it?

Totally agree. Encore 2 is painful. It's basically been the same blueprint since 2008. I was shocked when something interesting (Outta my mind) was played in Boston in Encore 2. Is it a great song? No, but at least it wasn't the same 5-7 songs they've been shuffling in that spot for a decade.

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:55 pm 
The Master

Encore 2
Get Right
Breakerfall
Insignificance
Betterman
RVM

BYE

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 11:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i want to be at a show where they end with "Go"

End song. Lights on. Band gone.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 12:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

they should play a reverse show

open with YL

then into RITFW, Alive, Black, etc

then by the time they close with three slow songs in a row everyone will have left

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 12:34 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

96583UP wrote:
they should play a reverse show

open with YL

then into RITFW, Alive, Black, etc

then by the time they close with three slow songs in a row everyone will have left

if they played Pry, To ... would Ed sing, "Pete Townsend oh how you saaaaved my life" ?

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 12:37 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

r-e-s-e-a-r-ch-it's-just-re-search, man

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 12:24 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

bodysnatcher wrote:
i want to be at a show where they end with "Go"

End song. Lights on. Band gone.

You need the Dublin 2000 boot. Main set ended with Go and it had a weird dark jam at the end of the song.

Last edited by dimejinky99 on Wed September 12, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 2:43 pm 
Future Drummer

The thing to me also is like...Porch and RVM are not on the album the way they play them live. They invented a new live version of these songs to fill that spot. Why can't they reinvent some of their other songs? Try something fresh and new to make it fit?

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 2:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

mikejasond wrote:
The thing to me also is like...Porch and RVM are not on the album the way they play them live. They invented a new live version of these songs to fill that spot. Why can't they reinvent some of their other songs? Try something fresh and new to make it fit?

I actually agree with this, would like to see some new songs get stretched out with a jam.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 3:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

numbers wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

I actually agree with this, would like to see some new songs get stretched out with a jam.

They seem to be trying pretty hard to do this with LB.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 3:53 pm 
Poster of the Year

Birds in Hell wrote:
I think one of the strengths of the 1998/2000 setlists is that they were relatively limited in scope (or, if you prefer, more focused); they didn't play Glorified G, or Deep, or Blood, or Why Go, etc.

I like the "standard" songs and setlist construction. They play Alive, RITFW and Yellow Ledbetter at the end of the show because they work really well in that context; same for Porch or RVM to close out a main set/encore.

It would be a mistake to think that introducing even more setlist variety (both in songs and overall construction) would be an improvement, I think they've already taken it too far (see Evil Little Goat, Out of My Mind, etc.)

I hate all the covers though (not including RITFW, Baba and Fuckin' Up) - ditch them all.

Spenno gets it.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 7:44 pm 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
numbers wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

They seem to be trying pretty hard to do this with LB.

IMO LB is great live. I did also notice at Fenway 1 they added a guitar solo and jam before the bridge of Corduroy .That was weird to me. I guess they're doing what I just said but that one didn't work for me.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 9:01 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Corduroy doesn’t work because the part they change is the part that makes the song so great. I wouldn’t mind seeing them try to stretch out Hail Hail a la RVM.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 9:29 pm 
The Master

they should just write new songs that are amazing so they dont have to tinker with their old songs that they must be bored to death of.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 9:52 pm 
Future Drummer

numbers wrote:
Corduroy doesn’t work because the part they change is the part that makes the song so great. I wouldn’t mind seeing them try to stretch out Hail Hail a la RVM.

Yes I agree with this. They're changing and butchering literally the best part and emotional climax of the song. Over the years he's changed it more and more, first changing the melody (even though he can't sing 90% of the catalog anyways no idea why THIS is the one line he decides he doesn't want to try anymore), adding a singalong of YEAH YEAH YEAHs, and then adding a jam and guitar solo.....

The section they're changing is one of the best parts of their catalog.

I think Immortality could get stretched and be cool maybe. I wouldn't mind spending more time in the best part of that song.

Future Drummer

numbers wrote:

Yes I agree with this. They're changing and butchering literally the best part and emotional climax of the song. Over the years he's changed it more and more, first changing the melody (even though he can't sing 90% of the catalog anyways no idea why THIS is the one line he decides he doesn't want to try anymore), adding a singalong of YEAH YEAH YEAHs, and then adding a jam and guitar solo.....

The section they're changing is one of the best parts of their catalog.

I think Immortality could get stretched and be cool maybe. I wouldn't mind spending more time in the best part of that song.

Future Drummer

oops posted twice :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live