The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Midterms
PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 8:50 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Here's turnout for the same primary event in 2014:
Republican: 949,144
Democrat: 837,796

So turnout was up significantly for both parties. In 2014 both primaries were non-competitive for governor. Honestly I'm surprised Republican turnout was as high at it was yesterday since that primary was also non-competitive. Florida is a closed primary state, so all the independents/NPA couldn't participate, so if McP's number holds that would bode well for the Democrats in November.

Back to Trag, I'm skeptical that Gillum (or any candidate) was the cause of the spike in turnout. Maybe I'm being overly simple and if McP has a better suggestion I'd certainly welcome it, but I think the biggest factor in yesterday's high turnout on both sides is Trump.

PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 9:08 pm 
The Master

oh i don't think it's Gillum so much as i think it's David Hogg & Emma Gonzalez

PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 9:21 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:

Yeah, that mattered, too though I'd put Parkland as a distant second behind Trump as a prime driver of high turnout.

A mother of one of the victims won a school board seat and a father of a victim came in second, last I saw it was possibly going to be close enough to cause a run off election. So it mattered in Broward. Hard to say how much it mattered in the rest of the state, though. Broward also put a measure on the ballot to increase teacher pay and increase school security, so I'm sure a lot of people in education turned out yesterday, although most of them probably would have voted anyway.

PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 9:21 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:

Yeah, that mattered, too though I'd put Parkland as a distant second behind Trump as a prime driver of high turnout.

A mother of one of the victims won a school board seat and a father of a victim came in second, last I saw it was possibly going to be close enough to cause a run off election. So it mattered in Broward. Hard to say how much it mattered in the rest of the state, though. Broward also put a measure on the ballot to increase teacher pay and increase school security, so I'm sure a lot of people in education turned out yesterday, although most of them probably would have voted anyway.

PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 9:55 pm 
Future Drummer

Donald Trump was completely unelectable in the minds of most people right up until he was elected to the highest office in the country. His opponent was the boring, technocratic policy wonk that many on the center left are still pushing for. Granted, Hillary had a history/persona that was impossible to overcome, but the last few Dem nominees in FL fit that profile too. So did Al Gore & John Kerry. They all lost. This is a big country with relatively low voter turnout - as unfortunate as it may be to say, people need to be inspired to vote. 2008 Obama was a more progressive type and Dems did well when he was on the ballot. He won FL too. They lost (big time) when the rest of the party was on its own. I absolutely want the center right and center left to be the actual managers. Make them the heads of cabinets, institutions, etc.... They will find ways to make something work or not. But whether we’re talking about the president, a governor, congressperson... a huge part of their job is to galvanize people. This newer progressive wing is still very young, and so are the people who support it, but rather than chalk this up to millennials who don’t understand what they’re doing, I think about the fact that the Reagan/Clinton era was established by a boomer generation which was about the same age as the millennial generation is now. And if anything this new progressive wing seems more in line with the values of the post WW2 period than some new radical way of thought, at least economically. None of this is really new, conceptually, just needs to be modernized. The boomer era did well and solved many of the problems of a stagnant new deal era. But it’s created its own problems too. A new generation will repeat the cycle. Just my $.02

PostPosted: Thu August 30, 2018 1:47 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Guys, North Carolina's screwing this up so hard that we may not send Representatives to the House on time.

https://chapelboro.com/news/state-news/ ... tisan-bias

PostPosted: Thu August 30, 2018 2:40 am 
Site Admin

B wrote:
Guys, North Carolina's screwing this up so hard that we may not send Representatives to the House on time.

Once Kanavaugh gets in, SCOTUS is going to tell the lower courts to never meddle with partisan gerrymandering again. :(

PostPosted: Thu August 30, 2018 10:09 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kavanaugh is magic

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun September 02, 2018 1:22 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:

Once Kanavaugh gets in, SCOTUS is going to tell the lower courts to never meddle with partisan gerrymandering again. :(

I'm looking forward to slapping down district courts ability to implement nation-wide injunctions. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun September 02, 2018 1:57 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:

I'm looking forward to slapping down district courts ability to implement nation-wide injunctions. :thumbsup:

because you are a soviet errand boy

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 7:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

96583UP wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:

I thought we were past Russian bots, and now everyone's a Chinese bot. Did I miss a memo?

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 1:47 pm 
The Master

huge upsets for democratic incumbents in Boston yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 2:53 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:
96583UP wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:

I thought we were past Russian bots, and now everyone's a Chinese bot. Did I miss a memo?

China, if you're listening ...

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:07 pm 
The Master

My electrician, a really friendly guy, just appeared in a campaign ad for Greg? "The Bodyslam" Gianforte. Do I need to find a new electrician now? Serious question.

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Nobody who thinks there is a correct answer to that question is right.

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:21 pm 
The Master

perhaps, but that doesn't solve my moral dilemma. i actually need some work done by the end of the month!

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Just bake him a gay wedding cake, wear a pussy hat, and see if he gets triggered.

If he does (and I shouldn’t have to say this but you haven’t been at any of the libtard deep state meetings lately) kill him.

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

But not with a gun.

Never with a gun.

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:36 pm 
The Master

maybe he has a gluten allergy i can leverage

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kill him with tolerance

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 70  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate