The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 41881
Location: Buenos Aires
Easily one of my favorite people making music today






_________________
Anders wrote:
Human interaction is important. To love, to laugh, to feel joy, for some even friendship. These are important to life, and a vital part of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 3413
oh yeah this reverber is one of my go-to's while writing code



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45560
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
Frisell's great, think I'll spin some today. Thanks team.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 41881
Location: Buenos Aires
What will you listen to?

I like Gone, Just Like a Train and History Mystery the best

_________________
Anders wrote:
Human interaction is important. To love, to laugh, to feel joy, for some even friendship. These are important to life, and a vital part of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45560
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
Hmm, I've been meaning to check out Small Town so I guess I'll start there. But I've never heard GJLAT before, and I like the cover art, so I'll give that a whirl next.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45560
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
Small Town is a lovely little album. Great atmosphere for puttering around and checking a bunch of things off my to-do list.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7606
Love Bill Frisell -- saw him live with his trio last year in what was essentially an old abandoned warehouse, I could have listened to him all night without getting bored.

I have quite a few of his albums, but haven't really ventured back into his 80's/ECM stuff, which is apparently a bit wilder and has roots in noise/free jazz that is largely absent from his work over the past 30-ish years. My favorite albums always tend to be the ones that put the focus on his guitar playing rather than his octet/nonet arrangements, but I'm yet to hear one I don't like. Some top fives? Sure.

Albums:
Gone, Just Like a Train
East/West
Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, and Paul Motian
History/Mystery
Small Town

Songs:
Probability Cloud (from History, Mystery)
The Pioneers (from Good Dog, Happy Man)
Live to Tell (Madonna cover) (from Have a Little Faith)
We All Love Neil Young (from Big Sur)
Pipeline (Chantays cover) (from Guitar in the Space Age)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 10:54 pm 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 34447
Location: the beach
he's awesome..i want his telecasters


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Tue September 04, 2018 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45560
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
Listening to History, Mystery today. It's really fantastic, but I think I prefer the more ambient vibe of Small Town over the more melodic approach on this one (though both are great and will get lots of replays). Which albums are more like Small Town?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Tue September 04, 2018 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45560
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
A Change Is Gonna Come is my favorite track on this one.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Tue September 04, 2018 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7606
tragabigzanda wrote:
Listening to History, Mystery today. It's really fantastic, but I think I prefer the more ambient vibe of Small Town over the more melodic approach on this one (though both are great and will get lots of replays). Which albums are more like Small Town?


"Ghost Town" and his new one "Music Is" are both Bill alone with his guitars and loops. "Ambient" is probably the best word to describe both, though the presence of the bass on "Small Town" gives Bill more of a foundation to solo -- the others are a bit more driven by layering and composition.

Also try the trio records "East/West" and "Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, and Paul Motian," if you enjoy records that have a heavy guitar presence with minimal but supportive backing. Bill's distinct musical personality can sometimes get lost in larger ensembles, great as some of those records are.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Tue September 04, 2018 6:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45560
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
Kevin Davis wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Listening to History, Mystery today. It's really fantastic, but I think I prefer the more ambient vibe of Small Town over the more melodic approach on this one (though both are great and will get lots of replays). Which albums are more like Small Town?


"Ghost Town" and his new one "Music Is" are both Bill alone with his guitars and loops. "Ambient" is probably the best word to describe both, though the presence of the bass on "Small Town" gives Bill more of a foundation to solo -- the others are a bit more driven by layering and composition.

Also try the trio records "East/West" and "Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, and Paul Motian," if you enjoy records that have a heavy guitar presence with minimal but supportive backing. Bill's distinct musical personality can sometimes get lost in larger ensembles, great as some of those records are.

:thumbsup: thanks man


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Fri April 03, 2020 3:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 14573
Bill's doing some live broadcasts from home, I'm enjoying today's a lot.



Here's the direct link: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/bill_frisell/3


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Fri April 03, 2020 5:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 1064
I saw him a few weeks ago, pretty much right before the shit hit the fan. He was playing with Petra Haden singing. We were sitting right in front of a row of old ladies and they HATED him. It was both annoying and hilarious at the same time. There was one song Haden sang a cappella and they gave her pretty much a standing ovation before going back to bickering when Bill joined again.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Fri April 03, 2020 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45560
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
I really enjoyed Good Dog... this morning


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Wed November 18, 2020 4:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45560
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
Good Dog, Happy Man is probably my favorite of the handful of albums that I've heard multiple times. Where else might you point me?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Thu November 19, 2020 4:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 90409
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
I listened to his Americana album earlier today and was blown away. What a phenomenal record. Easily the best "instrumental" album I've heard this year so far.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Thu November 19, 2020 4:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 41881
Location: Buenos Aires
He is a great artist

_________________
Anders wrote:
Human interaction is important. To love, to laugh, to feel joy, for some even friendship. These are important to life, and a vital part of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Thu November 19, 2020 6:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7606
epilogue wrote:
I listened to his Americana album earlier today and was blown away. What a phenomenal record. Easily the best "instrumental" album I've heard this year so far.


Are you referring to the Gregoire Maret album?

If so, hard agree -- I would never have guessed that an instrumental album featuring harmonica as the lead instrument could be so lovely.

His other new album from this year, Valentine, is quite nice as well -- he plays less of a supporting role on that one. Love his trio's take on "What the World Needs Now."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Frisell
PostPosted: Thu November 19, 2020 12:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 90409
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Kevin Davis wrote:
epilogue wrote:
I listened to his Americana album earlier today and was blown away. What a phenomenal record. Easily the best "instrumental" album I've heard this year so far.


Are you referring to the Gregoire Maret album?

If so, hard agree -- I would never have guessed that an instrumental album featuring harmonica as the lead instrument could be so lovely.

His other new album from this year, Valentine, is quite nice as well -- he plays less of a supporting role on that one. Love his trio's take on "What the World Needs Now."

Yes, that's the album. Just outstanding.

I'll probably throw on Valentine later today.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brett and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue October 19, 2021 3:46 am