The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: what are you basic political assumptions?
PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 2:04 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

stip wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
There was a troll by the name of White Indian that used to frequent a website I lurk at. His basic argument was that property rights for anything beyond what you are immediately using are immoral and the rise of the city state is responsible for all matter of tyranny and depredation. He demanded the right to, 'gambol across the plain' freely. Basically, he wanted man to assume his 'natural state'. While this sounds strangely like existence before the fall of man in the garden of Eden, it is fairly consistent and can be appreciated as such. Unfortunately it seems to call for the culling (through disease, starvation, conflict, etc.) of a large proportion of the 7 billion odd souls on earth today as it seems unlikely that we could all provide our own sustenance without modern agriculture. I'm sure there's some academic label for this line of thinking but I don't recall what it is. If you are a misanthrope or otherwise pine for an earlier, simpler time: this might just be the political philosophy for you!

it's basically Rousseau's Discourse on the Origins of Inequality.

Do you not also yearn to gambol across the plain?

PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 2:07 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

simple schoolboy wrote:
stip wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
There was a troll by the name of White Indian that used to frequent a website I lurk at. His basic argument was that property rights for anything beyond what you are immediately using are immoral and the rise of the city state is responsible for all matter of tyranny and depredation. He demanded the right to, 'gambol across the plain' freely. Basically, he wanted man to assume his 'natural state'. While this sounds strangely like existence before the fall of man in the garden of Eden, it is fairly consistent and can be appreciated as such. Unfortunately it seems to call for the culling (through disease, starvation, conflict, etc.) of a large proportion of the 7 billion odd souls on earth today as it seems unlikely that we could all provide our own sustenance without modern agriculture. I'm sure there's some academic label for this line of thinking but I don't recall what it is. If you are a misanthrope or otherwise pine for an earlier, simpler time: this might just be the political philosophy for you!

sounds like you could get hookworm doing that.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 2:09 am 
The worst

simple schoolboy wrote:
stip wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

I'm not bored with civilization yet. Rousseau wrote before video games and movies.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 12:48 pm 
Broken Tamborine

stip wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
stip wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

I'm not bored with civilization yet. Rousseau wrote before video games and movies.

and bored games.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 10:29 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

One of my (not particularly basic) political assumptions is that civil asset forfeiture is wrong. Criminal forfeiture can result in similarly terrible outcomes, but at least the process is a bit more robust. http://www.ij.org/massachusetts-civil-forfeiture-release-10-4-2011 Luckily for this individual, he was able to get his property back as of January 2013. If he didn't get pro bono help, I don't know if it would've been worthwhile.

More recently, it turns out that while most know that deposits of more than $10,000 require additional paperwork, multiple deposits of less than that constitute structuring, which then exposes your assets to forfeiture, despite not being a crime. http://downtrend.com/71superb/small-business-owner-fights-back-after-irs-seizes-35000/

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate