The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Country Music
PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 7:25 pm 
Major Dude

washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
I think those artists associated with the "Outlaw" country movement in the late 60's/ 70's weren't classified that way based, necessarily, on the music itself. (Some lyrical content, maybe.) It was mostly attributed to them based on HOW they made their music. It was outside the cookie cutter formula the Nashville establishment felt was the only way to make records. Lyrical themes weren't too far off from what mainstream country was producing at the time. And the music itself was as country as it gets. And part of the attitude the Outlaws had came from admiring artists outside country. Johnny Cash loved Dylan. Even had him on his show. Waylon covered songs from artists as diverse as the Marshall Tucker Band and Steely Dan. They just didn't give a fuck. If it's a good song, it's a good song and they carried that over into making their own music.

That's the definition of Outlaw Country, for sure. There's a distinct sound that comes from the Texas branch of artists within that genre, though. So much so that the second and third wave of "Texas Country" pays plenty of homage lyrically and sonically to Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff, and the Holy Trinity of Willie, Waylon and Merle.

Haggard isn't from Texas, tho. He's a Bakersfield boy like Buck Owens. And later Dwight Yoakum. So, I wouldn't really say Merle is part of the Texas Holy Trinity. That's why I said it's more an attitude than anything else.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 7:36 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
I think those artists associated with the "Outlaw" country movement in the late 60's/ 70's weren't classified that way based, necessarily, on the music itself. (Some lyrical content, maybe.) It was mostly attributed to them based on HOW they made their music. It was outside the cookie cutter formula the Nashville establishment felt was the only way to make records. Lyrical themes weren't too far off from what mainstream country was producing at the time. And the music itself was as country as it gets. And part of the attitude the Outlaws had came from admiring artists outside country. Johnny Cash loved Dylan. Even had him on his show. Waylon covered songs from artists as diverse as the Marshall Tucker Band and Steely Dan. They just didn't give a fuck. If it's a good song, it's a good song and they carried that over into making their own music.

That's the definition of Outlaw Country, for sure. There's a distinct sound that comes from the Texas branch of artists within that genre, though. So much so that the second and third wave of "Texas Country" pays plenty of homage lyrically and sonically to Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff, and the Holy Trinity of Willie, Waylon and Merle.

Haggard isn't from Texas, tho. He's a Bakersfield boy like Buck Owens. And later Dwight Yoakum. So, I wouldn't really say Merle is part of the Texas Holy Trinity. That's why I said it's more an attitude than anything else.

Merle's one of those "I ain't from here but I got here as fast as I could" Texans.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 7:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
Are people outside of Texas as particular about classifying "Texas Country/Outlaw Country" as it's own sub genre within country proper? I'm talking Willie, Waylon, Merle, Townes and all of their contemporaries within that particular place and time in the history of country music. So much of this music shares so much more in common with LA and Greenwich Village than Nashville at the time. More Gram Parsons and Bob Dylan than Dolly Parton and Glen Campbell.

Five favorites of mine:

Spoiler: show
TVZ - Loretta

Jerry Jeff Walker - Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother

Guy Clark - LA Freeway

Waylon & Willie - I Can Get Off on You

Michael Murphey - Alleys of Austin

I hate sub-genre-ing.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 7:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Are people outside of Texas as particular about classifying "Texas Country/Outlaw Country" as it's own sub genre within country proper? I'm talking Willie, Waylon, Merle, Townes and all of their contemporaries within that particular place and time in the history of country music. So much of this music shares so much more in common with LA and Greenwich Village than Nashville at the time. More Gram Parsons and Bob Dylan than Dolly Parton and Glen Campbell.

Five favorites of mine:

Spoiler: show
TVZ - Loretta

Jerry Jeff Walker - Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother

Guy Clark - LA Freeway

Waylon & Willie - I Can Get Off on You

Michael Murphey - Alleys of Austin

I hate sub-genre-ing.

Listen to those songs, Joey.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 8:05 pm 
Major Dude

washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:

Merle's one of those "I ain't from here but I got here as fast as I could" Texans.

He never lived there as for as I know.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 8:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:

What makes you think I haven't?

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 8:08 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:

No, I mean right now. Listen to them.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 8:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:

No, I mean right now. Listen to them.

I'M AT WORK

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 8:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:

Well hell. He's an honorary Texan in my book and I will continue to include him in the pantheon every time I hear his cover of Pancho & Lefty or this T-Bone Burnett recorded gem, dammit!

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 9:55 pm 
Major Dude

washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:

Well hell. He's an honorary Texan in my book and I will continue to include him in the pantheon every time I hear his cover of Pancho & Lefty or this T-Bone Burnett recorded gem, dammit!

Is STP an honorary Seattle Band?

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 10:14 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:

Is an avocado not an honorary breakfast food?

PostPosted: Sun August 05, 2018 1:34 am 
Mind Your Tanners

While we were in Kansas City our rental has Sirius so we listened to the "outlaw" channel that Willie Nelson has. Lots of good stuff there, it was almost good enough to get a Sirius radio/sub.

PostPosted: Sun August 05, 2018 2:26 am 
Major Dude

washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
wease wrote:

Is an avocado not an honorary breakfast food?

We’re having it for breakfast tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun August 05, 2018 2:31 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Willie, Cash, Jennings :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Mon August 06, 2018 4:36 am 
mXn

Bammer wrote:
Does anyone know if Luke Combs is legit? Like does he write his own songs, or is he the Taylor Swift of country music?

It's hard for me to tell because he is definitely not a pretty face. He's not your typical no-talent shitstain thrown out there purely due to sex appeal. I like his voice.

For comparison I get the impression that Chris Stapleton is much more "legit" as an artist. I just can't tell if Luke Combs is respectable like that.

I find myself enjoying many of his songs (not all), but I don't know if I should feel embarrassed about this or not.

A little help, here?

PostPosted: Mon August 06, 2018 5:54 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Bammer wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Does anyone know if Luke Combs is legit? Like does he write his own songs, or is he the Taylor Swift of country music?

It's hard for me to tell because he is definitely not a pretty face. He's not your typical no-talent shitstain thrown out there purely due to sex appeal. I like his voice.

For comparison I get the impression that Chris Stapleton is much more "legit" as an artist. I just can't tell if Luke Combs is respectable like that.

I find myself enjoying many of his songs (not all), but I don't know if I should feel embarrassed about this or not.

A little help, here?

Some Hayes Carll is what you need, friend.

PostPosted: Fri October 19, 2018 3:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

I like to occasionally listen to Hank III (usually Straight to Hell), but wish he didn't do that super raspy thing with his voice.

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 6:01 am 
The Master

i could listen to this on repeat for 3-5 hours

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 1:02 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Galway Girl by Steve Earle or gtfo

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 1:22 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Galway Girl by Steve Earle or gtfo

That song is a national anthem here almost. The Mundy version moreso though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands