The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 96  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:23 pm 
The Master

I also feel like a lot of the conversation around this is erasing the fact that humor like this is often sort of a coping mechanism for people who have, in one way or another, endured terrible shit in their lives. Demonizing taboo humor is a good way to just make things even harder for “victims;” you’re taking away a resource for healing.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:31 pm 
Production Police

--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
How so? He made jokes at the expense of victims, people who are lacking power and a voice. His station in life as one of the wealthy elite makes it distasteful to me that he would joke at their expense. I don't think he should go to jail, nor should he lose his fortune. I just don't care if he never makes another superhero movie ever again. I hope those who were made to feel even more small and powerless by his humor and station feel a little emboldened by his public shaming.

Ah yes, "victims" and the offended are owed their pound of flesh, having endured a harrowing gauntlet of coarse jest.

well in the case of my example, they also endured rape and the like, so...

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I also feel like a lot of the conversation around this is erasing the fact that humor like this is often sort of a coping mechanism for people who have, in one way or another, endured terrible shit in their lives. Demonizing taboo humor is a good way to just make things even harder for “victims;” you’re taking away a resource for healing.

I appreciate where you're coming from, and certainly embrace the healing power of humor in my own life. But victims of crime should be allowed to seek out the humor that feels good to them at their own pace, not have it show up in their public space before they are ready to laugh about their suffering.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:32 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
How so? He made jokes at the expense of victims, people who are lacking power and a voice. His station in life as one of the wealthy elite makes it distasteful to me that he would joke at their expense. I don't think he should go to jail, nor should he lose his fortune. I just don't care if he never makes another superhero movie ever again. I hope those who were made to feel even more small and powerless by his humor and station feel a little emboldened by his public shaming.

Ah yes, "victims" and the offended are owed their pound of flesh, having endured a harrowing gauntlet of coarse jest.

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I appreciate where you're coming from, and certainly embrace the healing power of humor in my own life. But victims of crime should be allowed to seek out the humor that feels good to them at their own pace, not have it show up in their public space before they are ready to laugh about their suffering.

This is completely absurd. How on earth could you enforce something like this?

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:33 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I'm just generally confounded by all this shit... do people actually believe he's evil? Do they believe he thinks raping boys is good? Do they believe Roseanne is actually racist? If she were racist, wouldn't she say she is and not apologize for the joke or say she didn't think the woman is black?! She would say she hates black people! Do they really think she would make a stupid joke like that and expect to get away with it?! Taking back comments, apologizing, saying it was a mistake should be enough! Standing by it and doubling down would make for a different scenario. "Oh? You think raping boys is OK? No more directing movies for you. You are poorly representing our company." That would make sense. But no, he said those were stupid comments and he doesn't stand by them... move on.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:40 pm 
Production Police

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

This is completely absurd. How on earth could you enforce something like this?

It's not about enforcement at all. There are no "rules" here; we live in a country of free speech. This entire debate exists on a spectrum of behavior ethics, which are far more murky, and my main argument is: Don't make fun of victims of sexual violence in public unless you want some blowback.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:42 pm 
The Master

I don’t think he was making fun of victims, though.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:44 pm 
Production Police

weren't all his jokes about raping people?

NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

tree_ wrote:
I'm just generally confounded by all this shit... do people actually believe he's evil? Do they believe he thinks raping boys is good? Do they believe Roseanne is actually racist? If she were racist, wouldn't she say she is and not apologize for the joke or say she didn't think the woman is black?! She would say she hates black people! Do they really think she would make a stupid joke like that and expect to get away with it?! Taking back comments, apologizing, saying it was a mistake should be enough! Standing by it and doubling down would make for a different scenario. "Oh? You think raping boys is OK? No more directing movies for you. You are poorly representing our company." That would make sense. But no, he said those were stupid comments and he doesn't stand by them... move on.

The sheer velocity with which this post went from perfectly reasonable to profoundly idiotic gave me whiplash

Production Police

ugh i don't even care enough any more to look it up. i hope they give james gunn the key to Los Angeles as well as his own harem of underage sex objects.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:46 pm 
Production Police

WHOA WHOA WHOA

tree_ wrote:
Standing by it and doubling down would make for a different scenario. "Oh? You think raping boys is OK? No more directing movies for you. You are poorly representing our company." That would make sense.

This from the guy who doubled down HARD on his "retard" comments!

An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

How much do I have to pay an admin to delete all my posts?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
tree_ wrote:

The sheer velocity with which this post went from perfectly reasonable to profoundly idiotic gave me whiplash
Tell me what's idiotic about it, please.

NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

tragabigzanda wrote:

I think what LV is implying is that a joke that involves rape is not necessarily a joke that makes fun of rape victims

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:49 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I think what LV is implying is that a joke that involves rape is not necessarily a joke that makes fun of rape victims

Correct

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:49 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
WHOA WHOA WHOA

tree_ wrote:
Standing by it and doubling down would make for a different scenario. "Oh? You think raping boys is OK? No more directing movies for you. You are poorly representing our company." That would make sense.

This from the guy who doubled down HARD on his "retard" comments!
Actually, what I said was I didn't mean it the way you thought. If I had said the word 'stupid' in its place, you wouldn't have given me a hard time. The 'r' word snuck up on me, it became taboo when I wasn't paying attention. Context matters. I don't think it's okay to make fun of people with mental handicaps. I said this. I'm sure he didn't mean to make fun of or belittle boys who have been raped. Benefit of the doubt, please.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:51 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned here.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:51 pm 
Production Police

BurtReynolds wrote:

i tried this when i left this past winter, they wouldn't have it

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:52 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

It's like they want to destroy our lives

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:56 pm 
Production Police

BurtReynolds wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

It's like they want to destroy our lives

i mostly blame Mike Cernovich

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 9:01 pm 

On the one hand, I feel like corporate America will eventually catch on that this Twitter outrage stuff doesn't have as much effect on their bottom line as they think. On the other, I could see them using it in salary negotiations and stuff like that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 96  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate