The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 537, 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu July 12, 2018 10:03 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

They moved kylos scar from his duel with Rey ever so slightly. And fandom lost it’s mind over that.
If he means physical make up.

If it’s something else it’s not coming to me right now

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 1:58 pm 

Saw someone somewhere saying that the fact that people are still debating this film andwith No sign of slowdown, shows that it will stand the test of time and eventually be seen as one of the best.

Personally already know tons of people who really have done 180s on it after seeing it at home on Netflix.

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 2:09 pm 
The worst

It is a genuinely challenging film in the way that it subverts genre expectations and doesn't make easy choices. But I think pretty much everything it does is faithful to the mythos and the characters. It creates some new themes and revitalizes old ones without simply recycling them .

Not everyone is going to come around on this film. If you genuinely don't like someone's performance, don't enjoy the humor, don't find the set pieces thrilling, then that may not change. If you've ever used Star Wars and SJW unironically in the same sentence then there's no hope for you (in so many ways). But if you're someone whose initial reactions were colored by the way in which the film was challenging (and you've made arguments about character motivations, poor writing, inconsistent, etc) then it's likely to open up over time.

That's not unique to Star Wars in any way (and while I was on board with TLJ from jump there are no shortage of examples in my own life with music, movies, etc where I came around to love or respect things I initially took issue with because it wasn't what I wanted or expected. We all experience this). On RM there is no better example of that then Riot Act - an album that played against type and expectations when it was released, and disappointed a lot of people, many of whom came back around once they had the opportunity to engage the album on its own terms

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 2:49 pm 

Drivers a good guy

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 3:07 pm 

Apparently Rian Johnson earlier confirmed this. That is actually a Darth Vader shampoo bottle in that scene.

Perhaps he is just Fucking with us

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 8:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
It is a genuinely challenging film in the way that it subverts genre expectations and doesn't make easy choices. But I think pretty much everything it does is faithful to the mythos and the characters. It creates some new themes and revitalizes old ones without simply recycling them .

Not everyone is going to come around on this film. If you genuinely don't like someone's performance, don't enjoy the humor, don't find the set pieces thrilling, then that may not change. If you've ever used Star Wars and SJW unironically in the same sentence then there's no hope for you (in so many ways). But if you're someone whose initial reactions were colored by the way in which the film was challenging (and you've made arguments about character motivations, poor writing, inconsistent, etc) then it's likely to open up over time.

That's not unique to Star Wars in any way (and while I was on board with TLJ from jump there are no shortage of examples in my own life with music, movies, etc where I came around to love or respect things I initially took issue with because it wasn't what I wanted or expected. We all experience this). On RM there is no better example of that then Riot Act - an album that played against type and expectations when it was released, and disappointed a lot of people, many of whom came back around once they had the opportunity to engage the album on its own terms

I was already thinking of Riot Act as an example before I got to the end of your last paragraph. So glad you mentioned it. Oh, and well put, as usual.

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 8:05 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Apparently Rian Johnson earlier confirmed this. That is actually a Darth Vader shampoo bottle in that scene.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Don't care if he's fucking around or not. It's officially head canon now, forever and always.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 2:03 pm 

Stip and DcT will particularly enjoy this

This Star Wars Analysis Will End the Debate About Luke Skywalker's Character in The Last Jedi
Sorry haters.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... -analysis/

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 2:33 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:

I had that shampoo bottle and several others. After I used up the shampoo, my mom used to fill them back up with whatever generic shampoo we used normally.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 2:35 pm 

B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I had that shampoo bottle and several others. After I used up the shampoo, my mom used to fill them back up with whatever generic shampoo we used normally.

Really?? That’s a good mom :)

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Stip and DcT will particularly enjoy this

This Star Wars Analysis Will End the Debate About Luke Skywalker's Character in The Last Jedi
Sorry haters.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... -analysis/

I've had this very conversation with real life friends. It's amazing how people cling to what they think they know and will not listen to any alternative. Couple this with all the stuff the TLJ supports have long said about Jedi going into exile, even a powerful Jedi like Yoda, and it's easy to see the consistent straight line Rian drew and understand why Luke's story is so epic and profound.

The Last Jedi is such a brilliant film. There's a strong chance it could become my all time favorite Star Wars film. It's still just a bit to early for me to make that call. I've lived with Empire so much longer and it's stood the test of time.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:09 pm 

It’s fuckin bizarre to me people don’t get that. He doesn’t decide he’s beaten Vader. He realises he’s about to become him and fall to the dark so he stops.

It’s sooooo completely baffling people could see it any other way.

But the tweet thread quoted in the article, I’ve been following it all week and yep. Those people are out there. In numbers. And REFUSE to see the reality of that in ROTJ and the through line into TLJ.

People man....uuuuggggghhhhhhh

But yeah. I reckon you’re gonna see it be your favourite. And mine maybe. It’s far braver and far more complex and rewarding than empire. I can say that much now. It’s our life long love of empire that needs to make peace with the idea this one might just be better overall.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:52 pm 

awww. Take a couple of minutes n watch this. This kid gets it

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 5:06 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
It’s fuckin bizarre to me people don’t get that. He doesn’t decide he’s beaten Vader. He realises he’s about to become him and fall to the dark so he stops.

It’s sooooo completely baffling people could see it any other way.

But the tweet thread quoted in the article, I’ve been following it all week and yep. Those people are out there. In numbers. And REFUSE to see the reality of that in ROTJ and the through line into TLJ.

People man....uuuuggggghhhhhhh

But yeah. I reckon you’re gonna see it be your favourite. And mine maybe. It’s far braver and far more complex and rewarding than empire. I can say that much now. It’s our life long love of empire that needs to make peace with the idea this one might just be better overall.

"Luke’s arc in the original trilogy ends with him not only refusing to kill the bad guy, but refusing to even fight a worse villain. This is why Luke’s force projection standoff with Kylo in The Last Jedi is so perfect. It's the ultimate expression of everything Luke has learned"

Boom. Absolute perfection.

PostPosted: Tue July 17, 2018 6:09 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Palpatine: Welcome, young Skywalker, I have been expecting you. You no longer need those. [uses the Force to detach Luke's cuffs] Guards, leave us. [the Emperor's guards leave the room] I'm looking forward to completing your training. In time, you will call me "Master".
Luke: You're gravely mistaken. You won't convert me as you did my father.
Palpatine: Oh no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken, about a great many things.
Vader: [hands Luke's lightsaber to Palpatine] His lightsaber.
Palpatine: Ah, yes, a Jedi's weapon, much like your father's. By now you must know that your father can never be turned from the dark side. So will it be with you.
Luke: You're wrong. Soon I'll be dead, and you with me.
Palpatine: [laughing] Perhaps you refer to the imminent attack of your Rebel fleet? Yes; I assure you, we are quite safe from your friends here.
Luke: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
Palpatine: [looks back at Luke] Your faith in your friends is yours.
Vader: It is pointless to resist, my son.
Palpatine: Everything that has transpired has done so, according to my design. Your friends, out there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was I who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. [mockingly] Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.

Vader: [searching for Luke in Palpatine's chamber] You cannot hide forever, Luke.
Luke: I will not fight you.
Vader: Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for... [pauses] Sister. So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will.
Luke: [revealing himself] NEVER! [attacks Vader ferociously, eventually backing him onto a railing and cutting off his right hand. He stands over Vader for a moment.]
Palpatine: [laughing] Good! Your hate has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side.
Luke: [looks at Vader's severed hand, then turns to face the Emperor, throwing away his lightsaber] Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You have failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.
Palpatine: [angrily] So be it... Jedi.

[Luke refuses to give in to Palpatine's demands and disarms himself.]
Palpatine: [raising his hands toward Luke] If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed. [Fires lightning bolts at Luke, causing him to fall to the floor in agony. Darth Vader gets up and stands next to Palpatine, watching.] Young fool. Only now, at the end, do you understand. [shoots another round of lightning] Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side! You have paid the price for your lack of vision. [continues shooting lightning]
Luke: [writhing in agony] Father, please! Help me!
Palpatine: Now, young Skywalker... you will die. [intensifies lightning blasts]
Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker: [looks back and forth at Luke and Palpatine] No. NOOOOOO!! [grabs Palpatine from behind and throws him down into the reactor shaft]

PostPosted: Tue July 17, 2018 6:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Luke never struck me as being close to turning to the dark side in ROTJ, but he was right to be fearful of it. He didn't fight the Emperor himself, because he knew it could lead to the dark side, and besides it would probably be a losing fight at that point. He spares his father out of love and hope, not out of honour. He also sensed doubt in his father, and in the end the help from his father is what saved him.

PostPosted: Tue July 17, 2018 7:48 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
Luke never struck me as being close to turning to the dark side in ROTJ, but he was right to be fearful of it. He didn't fight the Emperor himself, because he knew it could lead to the dark side, and besides it would probably be a losing fight at that point. He spares his father out of love and hope, not out of honour. He also sensed doubt in his father, and in the end the help from his father is what saved him.

Watch it again. Watch Luke hammer away and almost destroy vader. See the look on his face.

Yea, he's about to turn.

PostPosted: Tue July 17, 2018 9:32 pm 
The worst

Anders wrote:

except the whole thing is framed as a test. luke went to save his father but it quickly turns into a battle for his soul - that’s why his victory is the emperor’s failure, which the emperor acknowledges.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed July 18, 2018 2:09 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Luke starts RotJ force choking bitches and slaughtering a literal boatload of people, and you're not sure if he was flirting with the dark side or not?

PostPosted: Wed July 18, 2018 4:52 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
Luke starts RotJ force choking bitches and slaughtering a literal boatload of people, and you're not sure if he was flirting with the dark side or not?

aw huh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 537, 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars