The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

?
Incubus - "Redefine" 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Mudvayne - "Not Falling" 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: R1: Redefine vs. Not Falling
PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 12:34 pm 
The Master

Incubus - "Redefine"

Mudvayne - "Not Falling"

For some reason, they made two videos for this song, so here's the other one:

Last edited by LoathedVermin72 on Thu July 19, 2018 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: R1: Redefine vs. Not Falling
PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 12:46 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

These songs both feature tasty dudebro bass playing on mighty Warwick basses. I think Mudvayne has the edge, but I enjoy both.

PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 1:43 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

New Skin was the only song off the first Incubus that ever hit for me. I don't even remember this one. Liked it better than Mudvayne though.

PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 1:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

This is the first Incubus song in this tourney I really don't like at all. Mudvayne takes this one by default.

PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 1:58 pm 
The Master

Redefine is solid (mostly because it has a great chorus), but I love love love Not Falling. Once again, a cut above these other bands technically. I love the weird time signatures, and I REALLY love how they throw in an extra little guitar moment before the second chorus around 2:00.

PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 2:27 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Redefine is cool, not my favorite song from SCIENCE but still better than anything Incubus have done since A Crow Left of the Murder too.

I’m voting Mudvayne though, since Dig got it’s ass kicked unceremoniously by Incubus last time.

PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 3:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
love love love Not Falling

PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 5:13 pm 
AnalLog

Incubus is like Pearl Jam in that they both got better after trimming back on their more overt funk rock influences and focusing more strongly on melody and songwriting (though PJ obviously got some more mileage of jamming through Vitalogy and portions of No Code). I like "Redefine," but it's kind of unfocused and leans too much on its Chili Peppers lineage. That jam section near the end is probably the best part of the tune.

I don't know anything beyond a handful of Mudvayne's singles, but "Not Falling" seems to bridge both ends of their sound, being blisteringly heavy, but still having room for some melody to filter through. It's the song that made me take notice of them as more than just another halloween metal band.

I've voted Incubus both times they face off with Mudvayne before, but I'm swinging for the other side on this one, based mainly on the fact that "Redefine" isn't as enjoyable as the other Incubus tunes, and this Mudvayne one is the best of the three in this tournament.

PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 5:16 pm 
The Master

I would just like to acknowledge Brett’s detailed posts in these threads and say I always enjoy reading them

PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 5:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Brett wrote:
Incubus is like Pearl Jam in that they both got better after trimming back on their more overt funk rock influences and focusing more strongly on melody and songwriting (though PJ obviously got some more mileage of jamming through Vitalogy and portions of No Code). I like "Redefine," but it's kind of unfocused and leans too much on its Chili Peppers lineage. That jam section near the end is probably the best part of the tune.

I don't know anything beyond a handful of Mudvayne's singles, but "Not Falling" seems to bridge both ends of their sound, being blisteringly heavy, but still having room for some melody to filter through. It's the song that made me take notice of them as more than just another halloween metal band.

I've voted Incubus both times they face off with Mudvayne before, but I'm swinging for the other side on this one, based mainly on the fact that "Redefine" isn't as enjoyable as the other Incubus tunes, and this Mudvayne one is the best of the three in this tournament.
You reminded me of the time my mom took my little sister to an Incubus show and said she didn't like them because it was like watching a jazz band where everyone had their little solo in every song. I never saw it, but apparently you did as well. Huh.

And as much as I like Incubus, this is the best Mudvayne song.

PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 5:56 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

both of those songs were horrible. i don't want to vote in this matchup.

PostPosted: Tue July 17, 2018 1:35 pm 
AnalLog

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I would just like to acknowledge Brett’s detailed posts in these threads and say I always enjoy reading them

Aw, thanks Jordan. I've been enjoying this little excursion even if I don't really like most of the songs we've been listening to.

PostPosted: Wed July 18, 2018 8:35 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I like my time signatures like I like my women: nice and predictable.

Redefine I guess.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands