The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: Durham NC: Hiss Golden Msgr., Phil Cook, Sylvan Esso, et
PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 5:06 pm 
Saw Mike Taylor (HGM) play a solo set in the woods Friday morning. Probably top 3 musical moments I've ever witnessed. Gonna be thinking about that one for a long time. Wish I would've taken some video.

Here's me in the front row (Brewers hat) looking super reverent/borderline stalkerish.

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 5:13 pm 
The Master

guestT wrote:
Saw Mike Taylor (HGM) play a solo set in the woods Friday morning. Probably top 3 musical moments I've ever witnessed. Gonna be thinking about that one for a long time. Wish I would've taken some video.

Here's me in the front row (Brewers hat) looking super reverent/borderline stalkerish.

Did you play some wind chimes?

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 6:03 pm 
Strat wrote:
guestT wrote:

Did you play some wind chimes?

:haha: I was on percussion (horse fly slaps and mosquito bite scratches).

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 2:21 pm 
Hiss Golden Messenger 4-LP box set coming November 2. Looks like it collects the pre-Merge albums (Bad Debt, Poor Moon, Haw) plus a disc of unreleased stuff, most of which I probably have from Bandcamp. Oh well, take my money. Recording a new album this fall in the National's studio.

Nice article about it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... er/569971/

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 3:06 pm 
Probably gonna pass on the box set unless they discount it. $110 is just too much for three albums I already own on vinyl. Looks like you can get mp3s of the bonus disc from Bandcamp for 8 bucks.

PostPosted: Tue April 07, 2020 4:18 pm 
AnalLog

Hiss Golden Messenger recently released the live album Forward Children: A Fundraiser for Durham Public Schools Students. It's damn tasty. It's on Spotify, but if you name your price on Bandcamp the proceeds go to the schools.

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2020 3:12 am 
AnalLog

ghost wrote:

Hiss Golden Messenger recently released the live album Forward Children: A Fundraiser for Durham Public Schools Students. It's damn tasty. It's on Spotify, but if you name your price on Bandcamp the proceeds go to the schools.

Another live album, "School Daze" is out today. Same deal, all proceeds go to benefit the Durham NC Public Schools Foundation.

Quote:
Hey friends,

Back in March, Hiss Golden Messenger released a live record, recorded in January of 2020 at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC, called Forward, Children. All proceeds from the sale of that record benefit the Durham Public Schools Foundation, an organization in our city that advocates for public students, teachers and staffers. At that time, the coronavirus pandemic had only recently changed life as we know it, and many students who depended on school for many of their daily meals were struggling with food insecurity in the wake of school closures. The DPS Foundation was on the front lines of the effort to feed our most vulnerable kids, spearheading food donations and distribution throughout the city of Durham. Having been a volunteer to load school buses with food bound for different distribution centers in town, I can say that the work the DPS Foundation did was absolutely essential and deeply inspiring. To see just how many buses we were loading full of food every day—to witness the lack and the need throughout Durham—was breathtaking in a different way.

It's now September of 2020 and, with no comprehensive federal strategy in place, the coronavirus still rages. Durham Public School students are now learning remotely, which raises a whole new host of issues: Do all students have a strong enough internet connection? Do they have an internet connection at all? Do students—particularly younger children—have an adult to help them navigate to the places that they need to be online in order to participate in class? Remote learning has foregrounded issues of educational equity in ways that are sharp and unrelenting, and has placed an undue burden on immigrant, Black and Latinx families. Once again, the Durham Public Schools Foundation has stepped into the breech with their campaign to Accelerate Digital Equity that focuses on technical support and digital literacy, training, and equipment needs among students and their families within the city of Durham.

I say this often from the stage: I have public education in my blood. Both of my parents, my sister, and my wife are all public educators. My kids go to public schools in Durham. My entire life, I've watched the ways that public education has positively changed the lives of the people involved with it, both students and teachers; I've also seen the ways that politicians have scapegoated and denigrated public eduction for their own benefit.

It's safe to say that I wouldn't do what I do now without the love and support of public schoolteachers. So I feel it's my duty to give back. To that end, I'm proud to announce the release of School Daze, the second volume in the Hiss Golden Messenger live series, to benefit the Durham Public Schools Foundation this Friday, October 2nd. The fifteen tracks on this album—none of which are repeats from Forward, Children—are drawn from Hiss performances at some of our favorite clubs: The Orange Peel in Asheville, NC; Globe Hall in Denver, CO; The Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto, Canada; and the Tractor Tavern in Seattle, WA. School Days shows us doing what we do best: Riffing and rambling and grooving through a selection of some of our favorites and taking the songs, and crowds, to whole new places. If you liked Forward, Children—my mom said it was her favorite Hiss album—you're going to love School Daze. Put it on loud in a dark room; pour yourself a drink; hug the neck of the person you love. It just might feel like you were there.

By purchasing School Daze from Bandcamp on Friday, October 2nd, your donation to the Durham Public Schools Foundation is maximized, as Bandcamp will generously waive its revenue share that day, giving ALL proceeds to DPS. If you're interested in picking up what I consider to be a truly deep entry in the Hiss catalog and standing up for educational justice and equity at the same time, you can't go wrong with School Daze.

I realize that life is chaotic and complicated right now. I'm trying to remember to take some time each day or week to thank the folks that keep showing up, nose to the grindstone, every day. I'm trying to give back to my community with emotions as well as dollars. If you have the bandwidth, please consider donating your time, money, or other resources to an organization doing good work in your community. I've found it's the best way to alleviate feelings of hopelessness.

My thanks to public educators around the country who have been forced to reinvent their jobs in the blink of an eye, figuring out how to teach and convey love to their students through a computer screen. You are heroes.

Public education is a civil rights issue. Black lives matter. Brown lives matter. Trans lives matter. Vote.

Hang tough.

—M.C. Taylor, Durham, NC

PostPosted: Mon March 08, 2021 5:38 pm 
AnalLog

:hooray: new HGM announced in his wonderful monthly newsletter

Quote:
The Kitchen Table Speculator, Vol. XI

In August we carried the old horsehair mattress

To the back porch

And slept with our children in a row.

The wind came up the mountain into the orchard

Telling me something;

Saying something urgent.

I was happy.

The green apples fell on the sloping roof

And rattled down.

The wind was shaking me all night long;

Shaking me in my sleep

Like a definition of love,

Saying, this is the moment,

Here, now.

—Ruth Stone, 1971

Here we are.

It is March 2021. One year ago, I was sitting down in the very same space from which I am now composing this letter to begin writing the songs that would become the Hiss Golden Messenger record that was announced today. The record is called Quietly Blowing It—and I'm going to leave you to reckon with who is blowing it, and how, and why—and it will arrive on your doorstep in a tidy package with neat emotional boundaries sometime in June. But, of course, the writing of these songs was anything but clean and clear. It was actually quite messy. I was struggling to understand who I am, what my purpose is, in a world like the one that we all share. And I still am, frankly. The process was also joyful. There's nothing quite as liberating as singing, for the first time, a line that really works against a set of old chord changes made new by the melody leaning upon them.

I must have written 20 songs between March and June, often wedging my drum kit into my small 8'x10' studio space in the basement of my house to approximate the grooves that my friend Matt McCaughan would later play with much greater facility. Soon, the eleven songs that appear on Quietly Blowing It had winnowed themselves from the chaff of the others. Thematically, conceptually, and spiritually, they wanted to live together. I won't talk about how the songs are connected here—I'm hoping that will be obvious to you, the listener. I will say, however, that what emerged from all those months of consistent writing uninterrupted by travel or shows is a record that feels as vulnerable and downright interior as anything I've made since Bad Debt, a record I recorded long before anybody knew or cared who or what Hiss Golden Messenger was.

In the coming year, musicians are going be fielding a lot of questions about 'quarantine' albums. I'm going to push back on that narrative in part because I don't want Quietly Blowing It connected to a time in our collective history so rife with chaos, death, anxiety, and gaslighting. But also: Quietly Blowing It is a record that I've badly needed to make for a very long time, but one that I could not find the time or space to make at the pace I was running pre-pandemic. Creating Quietly Blowing It meant reckoning with some things in my life that required a lot of meditation and mediation. And therapy, frankly. Is that an indictment of the way artists have to hustle to make even a meager living? I don't know. Maybe. To me, it's almost like Quietly Blowing It exists on its own private monastery. It hasn't heard of the Coronavirus. And it hasn't heard of whatever else I was getting up to before the world shut down. All of this might not make any sense the way that I'm saying it here, but in my head it makes perfect sense.

In other words: I'm extremely proud of Quietly Blowing It. We made something special. The band on this record—which includes Chris Boerner, Matt McCaughan, Alex Bingham, Devonne Harris, Josh Kaufman, Matt Douglas, Stuart Bogie, Sonyia Turner, Zach Williams, Brevan Hampden, Buddy Miller, James Wallace, and Griffin and Taylor Goldsmith—plays with such breathtaking beauty. It's the sound of a group of people huddled together in a room trying to outrun demons. I can listen to any moment on this album and think, “Ah, yes—I know that feeling exactly.” Quietly Blowing It was mixed by my oldest friend, Scott Hirsch. It felt like coming home. I can't wait for you all to be able to listen to it from front to back. If you like what I do as Hiss Golden Messenger, you're going to love this record. I truly believe that.

Post subject: Hiss Golden Messenger
PostPosted: Tue June 29, 2021 4:30 pm 
AnalLog

This is the HGM thread now. Proposals for discussion of current and former band members' solo projects will be considered on their merits.

The new album is crushingly good. Devastating. A piledriver of emotion. A body slam of empathy. A noogie of hope.

Post subject: Re: Hiss Golden Messenger
PostPosted: Wed June 30, 2021 4:27 am 
The Master

ghost wrote:
This is the HGM thread now. Proposals for discussion of current and former band members' solo projects will be considered on their merits.

The new album is crushingly good. Devastating. A piledriver of emotion. A body slam of empathy. A noogie of hope.

IOnly listened once and none of the melodies or musical passages grabbed my intention.

Perhaps ill have to dig a bit deeper and pick out the words as a starting point.

Post subject: Re: Hiss Golden Messenger
PostPosted: Wed June 30, 2021 2:08 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
ghost wrote:

IOnly listened once and none of the melodies or musical passages grabbed my intention.

Perhaps ill have to dig a bit deeper and pick out the words as a starting point.

Give it another close listen or two, it'll get its hooks in you. Way Back in the Way Back, Mighty Dollar, Painting Houses are so good.

I just read a thing about how they mastered it on the quiet side so people could crank it up without fatiguing their ears. It sounds great loud. Lots of interesting musical things in the mix.

PostPosted: Wed June 30, 2021 4:27 pm 
AnalLog

He also made a comment in a recent interview that there were certain sounds on the last album that he wasn't happy with. Which I thought was interesting, since I HATE the way that album sounds. Cold, metallic, hollow, clanging. Coincidence that the Cook brothers and Aaron Dessner aren't credited anywhere on the new one? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:27 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Sylvan Esso in town later this month. Contemplating going to see

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2023 11:00 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Seeing Hiss solo this weekend.

Looking forward to it.

New album next month.

Looking forward to that too.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands