The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri March 09, 2018 2:43 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

So far I'm liking At Dawn more than TTF. My memory is foggy in this crash course I'm doing, but so far 'It Still Moves' is my favorite. I guess I like their more spacey / alt. country vibe. Still need to listen to live stuff and their two most recent albums.

PostPosted: Fri March 09, 2018 3:06 pm 
Just curious, are you listening to the original It Still Moves or the remix/remaster that came out a year or two ago? There are some pretty big differences in a couple of songs.

PostPosted: Fri March 09, 2018 3:13 pm 
Future Drummer

It Still Moves & Z do seem to be the peak. There's a few stinkers on Evil Urges but I don't think it's a bad album at all. A bit weak in the middle (I love Highly Suspicious s well). The Waterfall is excellent, especially live. They've always been an awesome live band, but are still somehow getting better live, so definitely check out some live stuff. Lots of good live shows/songs from 2015, which include songs from their whole career so far, as well as a few of the better Jim James solo songs, which are really good with the whole band (AEIOU is a good example). The Red Rocks show from that year comes to mind.

PostPosted: Fri March 09, 2018 7:02 pm 
A Return To Form

guestT wrote:
Just curious, are you listening to the original It Still Moves or the remix/remaster that came out a year or two ago? There are some pretty big differences in a couple of songs.

I always thought ISM wasn't produced well (not sure what the issue was technically) so to me, the new one is what i would recommend to a newcomer.

PostPosted: Fri April 06, 2018 1:31 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

diesel wrote:
guestT wrote:

I always thought ISM wasn't produced well (not sure what the issue was technically) so to me, the new one is what i would recommend to a newcomer.

Sorry, missed this...

Well, too late, I was listening to and purchased the original. It sounds ok to me, but I'm not good at pin pointing a lot of differences between stuff like that.

Not sure what the "cool" songs are by these guys yet, but the song I'm gravitating towards most on ISM is "Run Thru". I'm enjoying the entire album, but that's the song sticking with me the most.

PostPosted: Fri April 06, 2018 1:59 pm 
darth_vedder wrote:
diesel wrote:
guestT wrote:

Sorry, missed this...

Well, too late, I was listening to and purchased the original. It sounds ok to me, but I'm not good at pin pointing a lot of differences between stuff like that.

Not sure what the "cool" songs are by these guys yet, but the song I'm gravitating towards most on ISM is "Run Thru". I'm enjoying the entire album, but that's the song sticking with me the most.

The original is great IMO, at least I never noticed a problem with that mix the way the band apparently did. Still haven't gotten around to picking up a copy of the new mix.

I think Run Thru has the biggest changes. Intro is quite a bit longer, I think?

PostPosted: Fri April 06, 2018 2:10 pm 
The Master

guestT wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
diesel wrote:
guestT wrote:

Sorry, missed this...

The original is great IMO, at least I never noticed a problem with that mix the way the band apparently did. Still haven't gotten around to picking up a copy of the new mix.

I think Run Thru has the biggest changes. Intro is quite a bit longer, I think?

You realize how poorly produced it is when you hear the songs live :\ Especially okonokos.

I respect that the albums sound much different with a far more....indie/DIY sort of vibe but many of those songs do deserve better production.

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 2:04 am 
The Master

New JJ album already??

In!

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 11:11 pm 
AnalLog

darth_vedder wrote:
diesel wrote:
guestT wrote:

Sorry, missed this...

The entire album seems like it could fit into their "cool" songs category for me. Run Thru caught my attention first because the middle felt like a complete lift of the Porch jams from 91-92. I just imagined JJ rockin' out to the same bootleg from Zurich '92 like the rest of us and then it seeping into his music. Gideon from Z feels like a lot like one of the instrumentals from Touring Band as well.

As much as love MMJ, I haven't picked up the remastered ISM's yet. I plan it though.

PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 4:43 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
New JJ album already??

In!

I dig it. Wish that guitar tone was a little different, but hey, glad to have some new JJ.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:08 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

gardenparty wrote:
Wow, what a crazy few shows they just played down at One Big Holiday.

All 7 albums played front to back over 3 nights :shock:

These are finally available for purchase at Nugs.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 pm 
AnalLog

Simple Torture wrote:
gardenparty wrote:
Wow, what a crazy few shows they just played down at One Big Holiday.

All 7 albums played front to back over 3 nights :shock:

These are finally available for purchase at Nugs.

These sound excellent! So glad to have a live TTF in full

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 pm 
Future Drummer

i love this very much

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:11 pm 
Rank This Poster

Pumped to check these shows out later today on my ride

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 pm 
The Master

Yea, but are the NYE shows available?

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 9:04 pm 
Future Drummer

Didn't find a thread for Jim James, but his new album is pretty good. His first couple solo albums were a bit out there for me, this one sounds a lot more like MMJ. It's a much more guitar driven album, which I appreciate. Hoping the full band plays a few of these - "Out of Time" sounds like it'd be pretty killer in concert.

PostPosted: Sat July 07, 2018 3:05 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Rob wrote:
Didn't find a thread for Jim James, but his new album is pretty good. His first couple solo albums were a bit out there for me, this one sounds a lot more like MMJ. It's a much more guitar driven album, which I appreciate. Hoping the full band plays a few of these - "Out of Time" sounds like it'd be pretty killer in concert.

I quite like it as well. It’s a fun album that has some really entertaining riffs and he doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously. It is not dissimilar to MMJ in rock mode, and in that vein there are moments when listening that make you wish for that nearly orchestral fullness MMJ conjures up. Only a listen and a half in so far but solid B/B+ for me, which means it will be in rotation for a while.

Edit: how about that heavily borrowed riff in You Get to Rome- 5:15 anyone?

PostPosted: Sun July 08, 2018 8:54 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
Rob wrote:

I quite like it as well. It’s a fun album that has some really entertaining riffs and he doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously. It is not dissimilar to MMJ in rock mode, and in that vein there are moments when listening that make you wish for that nearly orchestral fullness MMJ conjures up. Only a listen and a half in so far but solid B/B+ for me, which means it will be in rotation for a while.

Edit: how about that heavily borrowed riff in You Get to Rome- 5:15 anyone?

Definitely hope MMj picks up a few of these songs.

This is a fantastic record. Super raw and a bit of a shit show and I love exactly that about it.

Initial top tracks: Just a fool, no secrets, yes to everything, Too good to be true

PostPosted: Sun July 08, 2018 10:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Stop. This thread just cost me $65 to buy Okonos. So stop please, 'cause I still need Z, Circuital and Waterfalls

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 4:05 pm 
The Master

No Use Waiting is fucking solid too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 37  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands