The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 224  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 10:26 am 
jeeeesus relax already

damn this band has an impressive catalogue.

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 5:03 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:

Yea, sure wish they appreciated that :\

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 5:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

had a dream last night that i was flipping the channels, and stumbled across PJ playing the local access channel. just them in an apartment or something. played a new song, and it was really good. kinda reminded me of Grievance.

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 5:12 pm 
The Master

They've already rescheduled the cancelled London date. July 19th.

Impressive. That's awesome.

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 8:47 pm 
known prankster

I'm usually quite down on EV's modern vocals but he sounds amazing in Don't Dream It's Over with Chris Martin a few years back:

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 1:04 am 
Stone's Bitch

2016 was a banner year for Ed. He sounded great at Wrigley too. By and large he seems to have taken it up a notch in the last several years. The complaints about his 53 year old voice are (mostly) overblown. I mean, the fact he's only had to cancel one show after 27 years of touring is remarkable.

I understand questioning his approach to certain songs, but hearing him live is almost always a good time.

(All hail hail Edmund Veder and worship him lest you be on the wrong side of the Jamily and history.)

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 1:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:

I have zero doubt that they (or some of them, what do I know) feel a very real guilt about cancelling a show that some people will have committed hard-won resources to experiencing. They still very much seem like those guys to me.

Really, whatever else you think of those records, every release since riot act has had the singular artistic ambition of “let’s make our audience happy.“ They might try different approaches to achieving that, or imbue the effort with a specific feel or theme, but the intention is the same. Like they came out of that era with the conclusion that it was their best purpose.

You could also argue that trying to please others rather than committing to an artistic statement of the self is part of why some or all of those records fail, but I find the desire noble.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 1:49 am 
Stone's Bitch

McParadigm wrote:
Strat wrote:

I have zero doubt that they (or some of them, what do I know) feel a very real guilt about cancelling a show that some people will have committed hard-won resources to experiencing. They still very much seem like those guys to me.

Really, whatever else you think of those records, every release since riot act has had the singular artistic ambition of “let’s make our audience happy.“ They might try different approaches to achieving that, or imbue the effort with a specific feel or theme, but the intention is the same. Like they came out of that era with the conclusion that it was their best purpose.

You could also argue that trying to please others rather than committing to an artistic statement of the self is part of why some or all of those records fail, but I find the desire noble.

Along these lines and more specifically, the aim seems to be "what will sound good and play well in a live setting." The live shows have taken precedence. Makes total sense, when you consider where the music industry has gone. Makes even more sense when you take into account it's one of the only rock bands left on earth that is still playing music together after 27 years and has a small(?) business of employees to pay, year in and year out.

All that said, I lament the approach.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 1:58 am 
The Master

you guys are trying to normalize Lightning Bolt

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 2:08 am 
Stone's Bitch

tragabigzanda wrote:
you guys are trying to normalize Lightning Bolt

evenslow wrote:
I lament the approach.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 3:08 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Everyone’s a critic

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 3:22 am 
Stone's Bitch

lookin' back up the river.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 3:41 am 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

They do. According to livefootsteps’ songs in hiding, they only have 17 songs that they haven’t played in the last 100 shows.

Of those, only 7 tracks are from their 10 albums: Get Right, Arc, Bushleaguer, Johnny Guitar, Force of Nature, Bugs, and Unemployable. Bushleaguer is irrelevant, Arc was stopped at 9 for Roskilde victims, and Bugs is a novelty song.

The rest are 8 b-sides or Lost Dogs (Dirty Frank, Dead Man, Outta My Mind, Undone, Brother, Sweet Lew, Driftin’, Other Side) plus Ole and Just a Girl.

Didn’t they play Angel last time you saw them? If anything, this band appreciates its catalogue too much.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 3:58 am 
The Master

daft twat wrote:
Strat wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

They do. According to livefootsteps’ songs in hiding, they only have 17 songs that they haven’t played in the last 100 shows.

Of those, only 7 tracks are from their 10 albums: Get Right, Arc, Bushleaguer, Johnny Guitar, Force of Nature, Bugs, and Unemployable. Bushleaguer is irrelevant, Arc was stopped at 9 for Roskilde victims, and Bugs is a novelty song.

The rest are 8 b-sides or Lost Dogs (Dirty Frank, Dead Man, Outta My Mind, Undone, Brother, Sweet Lew, Driftin’, Other Side) plus Ole and Just a Girl.

Didn’t they play Angel last time you saw them? If anything, this band appreciates its catalogue too much.

Whoa DT with the data-backed takedown of Mr "I Don't Gotta Button the Top One"

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 4:48 am 
mXn

bodysnatcher wrote:
had a dream last night that i was flipping the channels, and stumbled across PJ playing the local access channel. just them in an apartment or something. played a new song, and it was really good. kinda reminded me of Grievance.

Describe the hat Jeff was wearing

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 1:12 pm 
The Master

daft twat wrote:
Strat wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

My point still stands. Why does it feel like a treat or a special occasion when we do get something from Binaural, Riot Act, or pick any thing else post 1995. Yes, they play all of their songs and I feel lucky for it, but they are obviously very top heavy in the songs they cheose to get excited about playing on a regular basis. And those songs are generally from their first few years as a band.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 5:40 pm 
known prankster

McParadigm wrote:
Strat wrote:

I was at the first night of London last week. Eddie was clearly struggling (at one point curled up in a ball behind the stage) but he still gave it 100%, tackling songs like Deep, Mind Your Manners and Do The Evolution. He nor the band never, ever half arse anything live.

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 3:40 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Lost 9 friends we’ll never know. 18 years ago today

Hit me hard cos I was on that tour and met a couple of them. And I won’t forget em. I can’t.
They’re up there.

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 4:34 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Lost 9 friends we’ll never know. 18 years ago today

Hit me hard cos I was on that tour and met a couple of them. And I won’t forget em. I can’t.
They’re up there.

A heartbreaking accident 18 years later.

PostPosted: Wed July 11, 2018 11:17 pm 
The Master

whoa Future Days bears a striking resemblance to the chord progression of The Band's "The Weight"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 224  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam