The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 3:41 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I'll watch some of his stuff again soon. But I couldn't possibly do it today.

Instead, I cooked myself dinner. That was tribute to him today. I made myself food. I cooked, which I never do, and I thought of him.

I also cooked a big dinner. Even kind-of-sort-of made up my own dish.

Love it! What did you make?

Steak, Brussels sprouts, and a concoction I made out of mashed potatoes, arborio rice, and cheddar cheese.

How did the concoction turn out? It sounds wonderful!

Really good, the rice gave the potatoes a sticky, gummy texture that was pretty unique.

PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 3:42 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Instead, I cooked myself dinner. That was tribute to him today. I made myself food. I cooked, which I never do, and I thought of him.

Steak, Brussels sprouts, and a concoction I made out of mashed potatoes, arborio rice, and cheddar cheese.

Really good, the rice gave the potatoes a sticky, gummy texture that was pretty unique.

carb load through the pain, babe

PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 3:52 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Nice! It sounds really good. Similar to arancini, I'm guessing, but thicker and not fried.

PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 3:58 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I once got pulled over, cuffed and arrested for driving with an expired sticker while having a warrant out for a traffic ticket. Second time in my life that happened. I wasn't even going anywhere I really needed to be. Just exploring a new part of town, seeking out a pupusa after a Parts Unknown episode. Shame on me for not having my shit together, but shame on Bourdain for making that dance with danger feel like the right thing to do on a day off from work. Never did get that pupusa.

I like that food is still the constant human connection in Bourdain's death that it was in his life. If you took his advice seriously, food was a way to bridge cultural and economical gaps and make people happy.

I hope that everyone goes to a previously unexplored neighborhood or a previously thought of as "shitty" restaurant and tries something new this weekend. Bourdain would dig it.

PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 4:53 am 
The Master

The Iran episode is so beautiful. The friendliness, the laughter, the warmth. That Persian food looks unreal.

PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 5:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

god damnit

PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 9:20 am 
what on earth am I talking about

I didn’t know he did an episode on my town. Must look it up. Saw this tho. (In which he doesn’t mention food :haha: )

PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 1:03 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

This is great. We watched the Thailand episode and My girlfriend made us a red curry with ingredients from her last trip there.

The Glasgow episode also was a personal favorite for her (she's from glasgow). Me too as he made a couple stops to restaurants I have been because of my gf.

PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 1:48 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im having a little tribute to Anthony tonight.
We are cooking dinner, having some good beers and other drinks and watch his Hong Kong episode.

Rest in peace buddy.

PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 3:21 pm 
The Master

i've been listening to a lot of XM elvis radio the last few days, and they'll have these little interview segments with contemporaries of elvis between songs. on thursday, they played tony orlando or someone recalling his own depression around the time of elvis' death, how he left his apartment for the first time in a month to go to church and pray for elvis, then found out when he came home that the king was dead. he then spoke how he wished he would've picked up the phone sooner to maybe help his friend. i had that fresh on my mind when i woke up friday to this terrible news, and it's really fucking with me.

PostPosted: Sun June 10, 2018 12:09 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

god damnit...cnn is replaying some vietnam episodes..my wife and i's favorite place in the world..i want bun cha now

PostPosted: Sun June 10, 2018 5:35 am 
Gone

spike wrote:
i've been listening to a lot of XM elvis radio the last few days, and they'll have these little interview segments with contemporaries of elvis between songs. on thursday, they played tony orlando or someone recalling his own depression around the time of elvis' death, how he left his apartment for the first time in a month to go to church and pray for elvis, then found out when he came home that the king was dead. he then spoke how he wished he would've picked up the phone sooner to maybe help his friend. i had that fresh on my mind when i woke up friday to this terrible news, and it's really fucking with me.

You were friends with Bourdain?

PostPosted: Sun June 10, 2018 6:51 am 
AnalLog

I love reading that so many are paying tributes by cooking, eating, drinking and reminiscing about times when we took on that spirit of adventure in our own lives. He was truly a remarkable human being and it’s just so sad to realize that like us all he had his dark times and succumbed to them so tragically. He had so much left to give to the world.

As with any suicide there’s always the question of why, and in this case the only thing I’ve read is that perhaps he and Asia might have been on the outs. He wrote about feeling suicidal on a daily basis after divorcing his first wife. Who knows, but this feels eerily similar to Chris Cornell’s unexpected suicide. Just so sad.

PostPosted: Sun June 10, 2018 11:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

just saw the 10C announcement this hit Ed’s weekly fleeting lyrical subject matter blotter and PJ’s second single on the album to be released in 2020 will be the July semi-annual fan club single pre-released in low fi mp3 entitled ‘Can’t Revive Me’

comes with a complimentary ginsu chef knife courtesy the 10C LLC co-investment partnership with Benihana Plc with Ed’s Personal Chef’s TIN engraved in the side

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun June 10, 2018 3:33 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I always admired Anthony Bourdain because it did seem that he lived his life the way that he wanted to. I also admired that he made it out of his time of addiction with knowledge and attitude but recovered successfully and continued a life well-lived. But now I question that, was he really living the life he wanted? Or was it the life I wanted for myself? I'm so sad he's left us.

The travel channel is playing No Reservations all day. I didn't think I could watch, but my daughter put it on for me and now I can't look away.

PostPosted: Sun June 10, 2018 4:01 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Bee Girl wrote:
I always admired Anthony Bourdain because it did seem that he lived his life the way that he wanted to. I also admired that he made it out of his time of addiction with knowledge and attitude but recovered successfully and continued a life well-lived. But now I question that, was he really living the life he wanted? Or was it the life I wanted for myself? I'm so sad he's left us.

The travel channel is playing No Reservations all day. I didn't think I could watch, but my daughter put it on for me and now I can't look away.

Ey Angi! How R you?

PostPosted: Sun June 10, 2018 4:38 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Sad, but fine. How are you?

PostPosted: Sun June 10, 2018 5:41 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bee Girl wrote:

I’ve been struggling with the cliche questions without answers more with Bourdain than with other recent deaths. “Why did he do this?” “He seemed so happy, wasn’t his life so great?” Blah blah.

I know he was a big admirer of Hunter S. Thompson. I’m reminded of the Author’s Note that begins The Great Shark Hunt.

Quote:
Well. . . yes, and here we go again.

But before we get to The Work, as it were, I want to make sure I know how to cope with this elegant typewriter -- (and, yes, it appears that I do) -- so why not make this quick list of my life's work and then get the hell out of town on the 11:05 to Denver? Indeed. Why not?

But for just a moment I'd like to say, for the permanent record, that it is a very strange feeling to be a 40-year-old American writer in this century and sitting alone in this huge building on Fifth Avenue in New York at one o'clock in the morning on the night before Christmas Eve, 2000 miles from home, and compiling a table of contents for a book of my own Collected Works in an office with a tall glass door that leads out to a big terrace looking down on The Plaza Fountain.

Very strange.

I feel like I might as well be sitting up here carving the words for my own tombstone. . .
and when I finish, the only fitting exit will be right straight off this fucking terrace and into The Fountain, 28 stories below and at least 200 yards out in the air and across Fifth Avenue.

Nobody could follow that act.

Not even me. . . and in fact the only way I can deal with this eerie situation at all is to make a conscious decision that I have already lived and finished the life I planned to live -- (13 years longer, in fact) -- and everything from now on will be A New Life, a different thing, a gig that ends tonight and starts tomorrow morning.

So if I decided to leap for The Fountain when I finish this memo, I want to make one thing perfectly clear -- I would genuinely love to make that leap, and if I don't I will always consider it a mistake and a failed opportunity, one of the very few serious mistakes of my First Life that is now ending.

But what the hell? I probably won't do it (for all the wrong reasons), and I'll probably finish this table of contents and go home for Christmas and then have to live for 100 more years with all this goddamn gibberish I'm lashing together.

But, Jesus, it would be a wonderful way to go out. . . and if I do you bastards are going to owe me a king-hell 44-gun salutr (that word is "salute," goddamnit -- and I guess I can't work
this elegant typewriter as well as I thought I could). . .

But you know I could, if I had just a little more time.

Right?

Yes.

See, I can understand this mentality on a sort of empathetic level. I can see deciding that you want to to end your life on your terms. I get that. However, I can't understand the absolute 100% commitment and conviction -- the conviction that leads you to actually do it -- the conviction that leaving this world once and for all will be the best thing for you ten or twenty or fifty years after the fact as it is the moment you take the leap. I can't wrap my mind around shutting the door on the future like that. It just doesn't compute. I'm tempted to say "to each his own" in this regard, because our lives are all our own to live how we see fit, but I can absolutely guarantee that if anyone I love went out this way I would struggle with it even more than I am struggling with it now. It wouldn't be an intellectual struggle at that point. It would be a painful, deep mindfuck of an emotional struggle. And I would expect those around me to feel the same way if I ever did it.

PostPosted: Sun June 10, 2018 8:57 pm 
The Master

Hunter took a lot of drugs and alcohol.

PostPosted: Sun June 10, 2018 9:00 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

There is that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment