The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post subject: Fallout 76
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:16 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

let the wild speculation (and Bethesda hate) begin!

Post subject: Re: Fallout 76
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 pm 
The Master

I'm in.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:44 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm in.

If it's a full game so am i. If that's the case i wonder whether it's Bethesda or another company that did the development on this one. Seems like far too quick a turnaround since 4 for it to be Bethesda.

If it's another mobile game or something similar...probably not.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:44 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I've yet to play a Fallout game.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:45 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm in.

If it's a full game so am i. If that's the case i wonder whether it's Bethesda or another company that did the development on this one. Seems like far too quick a turnaround since 4 for it to be Bethesda.

If it's another mobile game or something similar...probably not.

I'm predicting a sort of online/Sims like game set in a Vault or several Vaults.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:12 pm 
Champion of RM

tree_ wrote:

I did not like the one I played.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:09 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

fallout games are definitely a love/hate or hate/hate thing. i love the atmosphere but gameplay and story telling leave a lot to be desired sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:22 pm 
AnalLog

I tend to love the beginning of the fallout games but by mid-game it grows boring and the endgame tends to be pretty bad.

Curious what exactly this will be. Word is it will be a multiplayer game.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:28 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

interesting...were that to be true, i wonder if the Fallout aesthetic is enough to get me on board for a PVP Rust clone? those games really don't appeal to me but you never know.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:27 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

a couple of leaks out now in addition to that 4chan one, that seem to suggest some kind of online survival type game. if it's like ESO that would be ok, though i would much prefer a single player RPG. If it's a survival PVP type thing then i'm much less interested.

this video recaps em

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:42 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I did not like the one I played.

I only played Fallout 4 and it was one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:45 pm 
The Master

I liked Fallout 4. :?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:50 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:

By all means, make an impassioned defense so guys like tree can see if they'd be into it. I found the inventory management and crafting to be completely tedious, and the characters and dialogue to be so off-putting that it rendered the great story concept into something really hokey and unfulfilling...

But I can recognize that it's a huge, potentially engrossing game for the right player. I just wasn't that player.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:00 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

By all means, make an impassioned defense so guys like tree can see if they'd be into it. I found the inventory management and crafting to be completely tedious, and the characters and dialogue to be so off-putting that it rendered the great story concept into something really hokey and unfulfilling...

But I can recognize that it's a huge, potentially engrossing game for the right player. I just wasn't that player.

The inventory management was quite terrible. I barely played the crafting stuff.

Exploring the world and wandering around the wasteland is where the game shines. I was really into it.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:22 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

The inventory management was quite terrible. I barely played the crafting stuff.

Exploring the world and wandering around the wasteland is where the game shines. I was really into it.

Yeah inventory was a hot mess in 4. Dialogue and the option tree were atrocious too, something that 3 and New Vegas managed to do a lot better. I don't think anybody would argue that these games don't have some serious flaws, but the positives make it possible to overlook them. For me anyways. It really is all about exploring the world they've created and killing everything in it.

Unlike a lot of people, i actually enjoyed the base building in 4 but it was pain in the ass to use on console.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:53 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Yeah inventory was a hot mess in 4. Dialogue and the option tree were atrocious too, something that 3 and New Vegas managed to do a lot better. I don't think anybody would argue that these games don't have some serious flaws, but the positives make it possible to overlook them. For me anyways. It really is all about exploring the world they've created and killing everything in it.

Unlike a lot of people, i actually enjoyed the base building in 4 but it was pain in the ass to use on console.

Yes! Navigating their archaic menus with the controller was awful. Even if I were to play like MD and keep crafting to a minimum, I would still have to constantly mod weapons and armor before I could safely tackle the next objective. Every session of the game went the same for me:

-Load game.
-Scroll the menu to remind myself of what objective I was pursuing.
-Spend 45 mins properly equipping myself for the objective.
-Disembark.
-Get sidetracked by something interesting off in the distance; abandon my objective.
-Arrive at new destination, then A) either quickly die because I was not armed well for this new exploration, or B) make it out alive, but not have enough room in my inventory to pick up whatever items I discovered.
-Turn game off in frustration.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:28 pm 
The Master

I turned the difficult to easy (no shame) and it made the game much better. Wasn't so concerned about my gear. Could just explore, read, and shoot things.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:32 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I turned the difficult to easy (no shame) and it made the game much better. Wasn't so concerned about my gear. Could just explore, read, and shoot things.

Whoa, this is interesting. I might try this some rainy day.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:53 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I don't think i encountered too many situations where i was underpowered for a quest or a baddie. IIRC the quests were labelled with a recommended level rating, and OP badguys had some sort of indicator too to warn you off.

Like most RPGs, i found myself spending a good 30 minutes after each major quest or venture out into the wasteland just sorting all the crap i had collected and either scrapping or storing it. That was kind of a huge time suck. The settlement building system was fun but there was no easy way to store and ORGANIZE all of your stuff except in actual separate boxes like you would in the real world. It was neat for a few minutes until you spent the whole time trying to remember where to store your guns, armor, ammo, etc. A single storage box with a more intuitive and useful UI within the menus would have been nice. It's a hoarding simulator, i don't want to actually go through the trouble of building and organizing a real hoard.

I mean, look at this shit. After a few hundred hours in this game i had to have sorting systems like this:

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games