The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jordan Peterson
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:04 pm 
Rank This Poster

Most people just don't know what the fuck they are talking about even when defining their own beliefs.

Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

A classical liberal value he holds that's relevant here is that of protecting civil liberties, thus his clash with compelled speech law.

Poster of the Year

run2death wrote:
Most people just don't know what the fuck they are talking about even when defining their own beliefs.

very true

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:06 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Mickey wrote:
I don't think alt-right and classical liberal mean the same thing. But they are both right-wing positions.

I think this is mostly true, although it depends on issues you're discussing. A liberal and classical liberal/libertarian should get along on social issues quite well. In fact, the classical liberal is often more liberal on these issues than the liberal.
On economic issues, they obviously favor freer markets which is on the right economically.

So while I don't think they fit on a left/right spectrum so much, I would absolutely agree that most "classical liberals" in the U.S. come to that position from a right-wing starting point, therefore it ends up as more right-wing position. Additionally, the ardent anti-collectivist nature emphasizes the economic axis more than the social one, further reinforcing the right-wing nature.

And there are a lot of the fake classical liberals as Chud mentioned that voted for Trump/Republicans, again reinforcing the right-wing position.

But if you examine the ideology itself, I think a left/right distinction is mostly meaningless in this case.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:08 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
They are all shitheads who deserve to be exterminated, so what’s the difference

This is a position that can only lead to a reasonable exchange of ideas.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:10 pm 
Rank This Poster

LOL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:10 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I've just noticed, mostly through working on conservative AM radio, that people who are clearly alt right in their views paint themselves in terminology that makes you think they're more classical liberal or traditional center right. And I think that leads to people like LV thinking the two are closer in ideology than they really are.

Good lord man, how do you do that? Yeesh.

Okay now we're on the same page. I agree with you.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:14 pm 
Poster of the Year

4/5 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I've just noticed, mostly through working on conservative AM radio, that people who are clearly alt right in their views paint themselves in terminology that makes you think they're more classical liberal or traditional center right. And I think that leads to people like LV thinking the two are closer in ideology than they really are.

To be fair, most of my work done these days is on the news side of things, not the talk side. We're actually not a traditional conservative am news/talker that has hannity in the afternoon. We do news all day until 8pm and we do a good job keeping ideological slants out of that. But then 8-midnight we have the guy who pretty much got Scott Brown elected in Massachusetts doing his talk show.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:18 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
They are all shitheads who deserve to be exterminated, so what’s the difference

This is a position that can only lead to a reasonable exchange of ideas.

lol like this is ever possible when it comes to contemporary american politics

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:20 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

What politics does Peterson ever even espouse, other than his common sense clash with compelled speech and SJWs, and how does any of it make him necessarily conservative and why does it matter?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:21 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
4/5 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

To be fair, most of my work done these days is on the news side of things, not the talk side. We're actually not a traditional conservative am news/talker that has hannity in the afternoon. We do news all day until 8pm and we do a good job keeping ideological slants out of that. But then 8-midnight we have the guy who pretty much got Scott Brown elected in Massachusetts doing his talk show.

Gotcha. I knew you were in radio, I don't think I knew it was in that AM conservative talk radio world where rational thought goes to die. I'm glad that it sounds like you're not fully in that world. I can't imagine that'd be very fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:35 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tree_ wrote:
What politics does Peterson ever even espouse, other than his common sense clash with compelled speech and SJWs, and how does any of it make him necessarily conservative and why does it matter?

Do go there with this crew.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:06 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Something good Peterson discusses worth noting: He observes personality traits inherent in particular political affiliations, meant to make you aware of your own potential biases, "a source of insight and understanding, which could cause you to step back from your own convictions and be more receptive to arguments on both sides", as Pinker put it. Peterson talks about how liberal and conservative types both need each other, are necessary, and mutually benefit when communicating. Somebody has to maintain systems (conservative) and somebody has to expand them (liberal).

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:23 pm 
Future Drummer

Stole it from Team America

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:05 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

4/5 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
I don't think alt-right and classical liberal mean the same thing. But they are both right-wing positions.

I think this is mostly true, although it depends on issues you're discussing. A liberal and classical liberal/libertarian should get along on social issues quite well. In fact, the classical liberal is often more liberal on these issues than the liberal.
On economic issues, they obviously favor freer markets which is on the right economically.

So while I don't think they fit on a left/right spectrum so much, I would absolutely agree that most "classical liberals" in the U.S. come to that position from a right-wing starting point, therefore it ends up as more right-wing position. Additionally, the ardent anti-collectivist nature emphasizes the economic axis more than the social one, further reinforcing the right-wing nature.

And there are a lot of the fake classical liberals as Chud mentioned that voted for Trump/Republicans, again reinforcing the right-wing position.

But if you examine the ideology itself, I think a left/right distinction is mostly meaningless in this case.

I mentioned this already but these days I see the political spectrum as between at least 3 separate polls, not the two we are accustomed to arguing over.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:12 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Would people consider the Weinsteins (not the famous, rapey one and his brother) to be conservative? They are basically social democrats.

Classical liberalism is a somewhat broad set of beliefs with proponents across the spectrum, but I don't know how anyone could consider it a strictly right wing position except through ignorance.

It seems that both the modern right and modern left have moved wildly from their positions a decade ago (and away from each other.)

Classical liberalism largely fills in the gap left over, which is probably why both sides hate them and can't see them as anything other than alt-right or cucks. It's all they can see.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:28 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Would people consider the Weinsteins (not the famous, rapey one and his brother) to be conservative? They are basically social democrats.

Classical liberalism is a somewhat broad set of beliefs with proponents across the spectrum, but I don't know how anyone could consider it a strictly right wing position except through ignorance.

It seems that both the modern right and modern left have moved wildly from their positions a decade ago (and away from each other.)

Classical liberalism largely fills in the gap left over, which is probably why both sides hate them and can't see them as anything other than alt-right or cucks. It's all they can see.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:11 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

"I'm half and half, half Hobbes, half Rousseau, that's why I'm not an ideologue. Because I don't think that people are good or evil, I think they're both, I don't think that culture is security or tyranny, it's both, and I don't think that nature is benevolence or catastrophe, I think it's both. And that's why I'm not an ideologue."

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:02 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

What ever happened to the silent majority?

I guess they all got smartphones.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:00 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I've been watching and listening to JP for some time now. The first time was when he was on the Sam Harris podcast where they argued for 4 hours on what the definition of Truth.

It's been interesting to see his rise and the subsequent backlash to it. The NYT hit piece was embarrassing, as was the Vice interview edit.

JP is not Christ, and he's not the boogeyman. He's a sober, thoughtful, tolerant guy who i don't always agree with, but makes me think. I guess that's dangerous to a certain segment of people.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate