The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840 ... 2022  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:48 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Watched Everest tonight.. pretty good. Wife cried and scratched me.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

You make weird posts, tree

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:39 am 
The Master

The Florida Project. Latest in a long line of the "unflinching gaze on America's poor" genre (see also Vernon, Florida; Kids; Gummo; George Washington; American Honey).

Everything is super visceral despite mostly static camera work. Performances are excellent, though i wonder how many are even professional actors? My only problem with Dafoe's character is that no way would a guy that nice work that job in real life.

The twist ending was fine. Not the brilliant stroke other reviewers had made it out to be, but it was novel and effective.

Do they still make Dogma 95 films? This likely could have qualified.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:39 am 
The Master

Agreed with LV's thoughts on Gladiator and Burt's opinion on twirling moustaches.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Tully. I liked it. Charlize Theron doesn't get enough credit.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:

Going tonight. Im super exited...im such a fan of Reitman´s work.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:

:?: Isn't she, like, an Oscar-winning A-list actress who likely commands upwards of $10M/film?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 pm 
The Master

Yes but shockingly her credit score is in the 500s

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:18 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

:?: Isn't she, like, an Oscar-winning A-list actress who likely commands upwards of $10M/film?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Ever since she got ugly and played a prostitute/murderer she's been considered one of the bestest.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:18 pm 
The Master

Spoiler: show
i am so, so sorry for that joke

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:19 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
i am so, so sorry for that joke

no baby vaginas :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:21 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
The Florida Project. Latest in a long line of the "unflinching gaze on America's poor" genre (see also Vernon, Florida; Kids; Gummo; George Washington; American Honey).

Everything is super visceral despite mostly static camera work. Performances are excellent, though i wonder how many are even professional actors? My only problem with Dafoe's character is that no way would a guy that nice work that job in real life.

The twist ending was fine. Not the brilliant stroke other reviewers had made it out to be, but it was novel and effective.

I really liked TFP, im a big big fan of Sean´s work. Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...so, very impressive.

Dont agree with the Dafoe view..why not? I know wonderful people working in shitty places.....as for the ending i thought it was a letdown. He chooses to go full fairy tale just when i needed to see the real ending. Still, great movie.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I really liked TFP, im a big big fan of Sean´s work. Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...so, very impressive.

Dont agree with the Dafoe view..why not? I know wonderful people working in shitty places.....as for the ending i thought it was a letdown. He chooses to go full fairy tale just when i needed to see the real ending. Still, great movie.

This is on my watch list. I'll try to convince the wife.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:27 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I guess you're right, there are good people doing shitty jobs...But still, his kindness felt a little too big for his station in life. Don't get me wrong, Dafoe played the part terrifically; I would just expect to see a few more warts on that sort of person in real life.

I dug the ending.

Not amazing, but I thought it was an effective resolution given their seeming proximity, yet obvious inaccessibility, to the nearby Disneyworld; obviously there's no way their lives turned out great. It sort of reminded me of how at the end of No Country For Old Men, Tommy Lee Jones's brother suggests it's "vanity" to expect an inherently sad story to somehow have a happy ending.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:29 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...

This would explain my only other gripe with the film: The annunciation and audio were both pitiful. We had to watch with the closed-captioning on! Given that they weren't professional actors, I'll fault the director for not taking a more rigorous approach in post. I get that all their mumbling and talking over each other added to the realism, but at a certain point I need to be able to understand what they're actually saying.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Those kids were not professionals, and the girl´s mother was a instagram celebrity...

This would explain my only other gripe with the film: The annunciation and audio were both pitiful. We had to watch with the closed-captioning on! Given that they weren't professional actors, I'll fault the director for not taking a more rigorous approach in post. I get that all their mumbling and talking over each other added to the realism, but at a certain point I need to be able to understand what they're actually saying.

I guess I won't be watching this, then. Wife will not like this.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:36 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Watch it by yourself when she's in labor.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:37 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Watch it by yourself when she's in labor.

Ha ha ha in the waiting room on my phone yeah right... gotta be holding her hand and massaging and sheeit ... I don't watch movies alone anymore, unless I can watch at work on netflix

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:00 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Man, watch it yourself...wifes..

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:02 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I guess you're right, there are good people doing shitty jobs...But still, his kindness felt a little too big for his station in life. Don't get me wrong, Dafoe played the part terrifically; I would just expect to see a few more warts on that sort of person in real life.

I dug the ending.

Not amazing, but I thought it was an effective resolution given their seeming proximity, yet obvious inaccessibility, to the nearby Disneyworld; obviously there's no way their lives turned out great. It sort of reminded me of how at the end of No Country For Old Men, Tommy Lee Jones's brother suggests it's "vanity" to expect an inherently sad story to somehow have a happy ending.

My main concern was that i watched an entire film with the ¨real ¨life of these kids, and just in the end for some reason he chooses to go all fairy mental with us. I needed to see the real stuff..so the kid realized he was going to be far way? show me what happens in the ¨real¨world. Not that weird photograph montage of Disney

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840 ... 2022  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment