The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 195  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

This whole notion of spoilers is such a recent phenomenon. I hate it. We had a full century of filmmaking without the concept.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:25 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
This whole notion of spoilers is such a recent phenomenon. I hate it. We had a full century of filmmaking without the concept.

Yea but that was pre internet and was much easier for that not to be a thing. The way information and opinions are shared these days is batshit insane.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:27 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yea but that was pre internet and was much easier for that not to be a thing. The way information and opinions are shared these days is batshit insane.

I agree but I still don't get "spoiler culture."

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I agree but I still don't get "spoiler culture."

That's because you my dear, are always spoiler free :luv:

NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

durdencommatyler wrote:

I don't have the historical knowledge to back this up, but I don't believe that the concept of people trying to avoid having elements of the movie -- or even, say, a novel-- "spoiled" for them is that recent, even if they didn't have the term "spoiler". Didn't Alfred Hitchcock ask Psycho audiences not to give away the ending? I gotta believe similar things have long been around for mystery novels, stage plays and the such.

Last edited by Jorge on Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

what on earth am I talking about

Right. So everyone in the last few posts except Strat is ok ok with a film being spoiled on them. And you’re all somehow new to the idea of the internet and how it works? Am I reading that right?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:32 pm 
The Master

I think it’s a side effect of information/plot-focused moviewatching. “Spoiler” is a misnomer.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

dimejinky99 wrote:
Right. So everyone in the last few posts except Strat is ok ok with a film being spoiled on them. And you’re all somehow new to the idea of the internet and how it works? Am I reading that right?

The idea is that the "how" is usually more important than the "what", and I can agree with that. But knowing of certain story elements, especially "shocking" ones, ahead of time can have a dampening effect on their dramatic resonance and the visceral experience of following along with a fiction

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 pm 

To platys point

You all live in a society that it was ok to walk out of a film and tell someone about it at work, or in the pub, who hasn’t seen it, and that is ok? Seriously?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:35 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

The idea is that the "how" is usually more important than the "what", and I can agree with that. But knowing of certain story elements, especially "shocking" ones, ahead of time can have a dampening effect on their dramatic resonance and the visceral experience of following along with a fiction

Yeah that was kinda included in my calling the guy an asshole for publicly spoiling the last Jedi and using the variety magazine (with a massive reach and readership)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

But, I mean, yeah, don't read pre-release reviews and then complain about having stuff spoiled. That's on you.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
To platys point

You all live in a society that it was ok to walk out of a film and tell someone about it at work, or in the pub, who hasn’t seen it, and that is ok? Seriously?

Um....yes?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:52 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
To platys point

Um....yes?

And nobody has ever punched you for doing so? Well I guess not.

You’d be ok if someone you know or a reviewer spoiled a film for you before you’d seen it then?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

YES THE ANSWER IS YES ALL ALONG HE'S BEEN SAYING YES

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:11 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

This is fair, yes

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:24 pm 

You guys are in the wrong thread / forum / sphere

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
That's actually super tame for him. Seems lukewarm at best. I think he probably disliked it more than he expected but wants to stay positive.

Fair point.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I don't have the historical knowledge to back this up, but I don't believe that the concept of people trying to avoid having elements of the movie -- or even, say, a novel-- "spoiled" for them is that recent, even if they didn't have the term "spoiler". Didn't Alfred Hitchcock ask Psycho audiences not to give away the ending? I gotta believe similar things have long been around for mystery novels, stage plays and the such.

Sure. But the advent of the internet and the idea that everyone deserves to be heard has amped all of that up to the nth degree. I feel like it really started to crystalize around the Sixth Sense or so. There's always been this idea of "please don't give away" but it's so totally out of control.

I enjoy reading plays before I see them and I've had friends chastise me for that. They think knowing anything about the piece before going into it is some sort of sacrilege. It's bizarre. When I was growing up, people just didn't put the emphasis on it like they do now. And I know my generation was even extreme compared to my parents'.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
To platys point

Um....yes?

And nobody has ever punched you for doing so? Well I guess not.

You’d be ok if someone you know or a reviewer spoiled a film for you before you’d seen it then?

I don't really believe in spoilers, dime. Personally, if a movie's enjoyment hinges on some small, little secret, then it probably isn't a good movie. I love just watching something cold, sure. But I also really enjoying know a lot about a movie before I see it. It helps the critical process and the engagement.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:14 pm 
The Master

I’ve always wanted to make a movie that shows every major plot point in the opening sequence to change the way the viewer relates to what they’re watching. We worry way too much about what happens in stories.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 195  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars