The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:18 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I haven't listened but the fact that thus took so long tells me he really hated the movie and probably feels let down by Star Wars right now. I'm sure he's doing this because it's expected. He has a series. But I'm sure he doesn't know what you say in a constructive way, so he's going through the easy motions.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
I haven't listened but the fact that thus took so long tells me he really hated the movie and probably feels let down by Star Wars right now. I'm sure he's doing this because it's expected. He has a series. But I'm sure he doesn't know what you say in a constructive way, so he's going through the easy motions.

That’s a good point. When you feel let down by something, and especially with a movie others love, it can be difficult to explain it in a way that those people will find constructive and smart.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

That’s a good point. When you feel let down by something, and especially with a movie others love, it can be difficult to explain it in a way that those people will find constructive and smart.

It's a tricky thing, for sure. I can empathize with him (if that is indeed how he feels) and those that feel let down by TLJ. I still want to listen to his thoughts, though. He's a smart guy. And hopefully, he'll have a more positive experience with Solo and Ep 9.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:10 pm 
The worst

he is right with many of his critiques (esp canto bight and arguably holdo). Part of the issue is he doesnt like kylo, and he is half of the heart of the film)

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:15 pm 
The worst

he also doesnt understand the kylo/rey story and themes (and misses the most important themes). its quite surprising how much he misses

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:09 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I wonder how much of that is because TLJ doesn't neatly fit into the typical hero's journey archetype structure. He seems to depend on that for his SW analysis.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:01 am 
what on earth am I talking about

durdencommatyler wrote:
I wonder how much of that is because TLJ doesn't neatly fit into the typical hero's journey archetype structure. He seems to depend on that for his SW analysis.

Nail on the head and he says something to that effect at one point or another in that the film doesn’t fit usual/expected narratives. He’s also miffed at its structure. Trying to impose the three act frame on it and I’m not entirely sure TLJ has a normal three act structure.

The good news is he’s starting a regular Star Wars series as soon as Solo comes out to drop every two weeks. That’ll be good. He’s also going back to do another pass at Rogue one

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I just finished the audio book today and that was a pretty satisfying companion to the film. Lots of little details here and there that fleshed out some parts of the film.

I listened to the S&SW the other day in the middle of the audio book and I have much the same thoughts as you guys. There just seems to be something missing from his reading of the film, but I hope the other episodes clears some of it up.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:55 pm 

bune wrote:
I just finished the audio book today and that was a pretty satisfying companion to the film. Lots of little details here and there that fleshed out some parts of the film.

I listened to the S&SW the other day in the middle of the audio book and I have much the same thoughts as you guys. There just seems to be something missing from his reading of the film, but I hope the other episodes clears some of it up.

Wowsers.
That was my experience too.
Have you watched the film since? If not. Word of warning, it will spin it a different way.
Not hugely. Just nicely in those small moments and decisions.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I haven't watched it since the initial viewing in the theater actually. :oops:

Something I didn't like about the book was the unnecessary callback to the 'laser sword' when Finn sees Luke. Finn knows what a lightsaber is, he's held one for Pete's sake, so for him to talk about the laser sword was kind of dumb. To make the comparison: the reference was probably as jarring to me as it was for those people who didn't like the term in the movie in the first place.

Last edited by bune on Tue May 15, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Finally got around to ordering the blu-ray of this

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The Story and Star Wars episode wasn't nearly as off-putting/maddening as I expected. I get where's he's coming from a lot of the time, I just disagree.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:36 pm 

I think you hit the nail on the head. He just didn’t like it so ended up focusing what he didn’t like and didn’t or couldn’t get to or see anything for him to like.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. He just didn’t like it so ended up focusing what he didn’t like and didn’t or couldn’t get to or see anything for him to like.

It could be too, that I just find the themes more interesting than he does. He seems to ignore all the thing that I think make the movie interesting (like the Rey/Ren relationship and the importance of legacy and myth; which is ironic since myth/storytelling is sort of his main bag). But he does speak to a lot of the same thing I like in terms of the visuals and the performances. Again, I think he just completely doesn't get Adam Driver at all. And I'm not sure why. He's so goddamn compelling.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:55 pm 

WOOd for the trees. A villain has to be dyed in the cloth Bad and even one dimensional.
Kylo breaks that completely and is nuanced and conflicted. Stephens acknowledges these aspects yet somehow seems to miss them completely at the same time. Sort of baffling.

I’ve heard him a few times get seriously pig headed like this before. Even more so. In his LOTR series. Because he can’t understand something or it doesn’t agree with his view, he simply can’t bend his thought over to the fact that it might become the case and he may just be wrong. I’ve nearly given up on his LOTR pod a few times over it.

It’s not as pronounced here but still annoying.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:00 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I definitely see a tendency for him to get wrapped up in his theories/takes/understanding and then to dismiss things that don't fit his own theory.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:46 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
The Story and Star Wars episode wasn't nearly as off-putting/maddening as I expected. I get where's he's coming from a lot of the time, I just disagree.

It wasn't off putting or maddening to me. Just disappointing and largely substance free. I expected more from him. The bulk of the episode was just recounting the plot and talking about where he thought act breaks should be. I was waiting for a deep textual read on the throne room confrontation and things like that. Even if he didn't like it , I wanted to listen to him work through what he thought didn't work

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

It wasn't off putting or maddening to me. Just disappointing and largely substance free. I expected more from him. The bulk of the episode was just recounting the plot and talking about where he thought act breaks should be. I was waiting for a deep textual read on the throne room confrontation and things like that. Even if he didn't like it , I wanted to listen to him work through what he thought didn't work

Well put, yes. I 100% agree.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:29 pm 

AND he chose that episode to relaunch his Star Wars series. He either really misstepped or is pitching for that other audience who don’t like Star Wars anymore.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:05 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
AND he chose that episode to relaunch his Star Wars series. He either really misstepped or is pitching for that other audience who don’t like Star Wars anymore.

I think his thinking about and discussions about TLJ inspired him to return to the series. There's a lot that he likes about the movie. I just think the more he thought about the elements he liked, the more he wanted to discuss those elements on their own and dive deeper into them as sort of stand-alone topics (like the nature of the Force moving forward, etc). It's not like he just takes a massive shit all over the movie.

We'll see where he takes this, but my hope is that we'll get more depth of conversation and discussion as the series progresses and a dialogue can happen between him and his followers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars