The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Stone Temple Pilots Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:04 pm 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:
I blame Scott for nothing. He made the the band. They are lucky he was able to drag them along for as long as he did.

That’s not entirely true. The DeLeo brothers wrote almost all of the music. Obviously Scott was a great front man, and his melodies and voice and stage presence were a HUGE part of STP’s success. But I genuinely believe that Scott needed Robert and Dean almost as much as they needed him. Again, without the DeLeo’s there aren’t the songs.

:thumbsup: There is nothing remotely original about the DeLeos compositions, but damn if they don't sound awesome. They are two very talented studio/pro songwriters who were smart enough to link up with an amazing singer.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

:thumbsup:

Talk Show and Army of Anyone say hi.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:23 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

tragabigzanda wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:
I blame Scott for nothing. He made the the band. They are lucky he was able to drag them along for as long as he did.

That’s not entirely true. The DeLeo brothers wrote almost all of the music. Obviously Scott was a great front man, and his melodies and voice and stage presence were a HUGE part of STP’s success. But I genuinely believe that Scott needed Robert and Dean almost as much as they needed him. Again, without the DeLeo’s there aren’t the songs.

:thumbsup: There is nothing remotely original about the DeLeos compositions, but damn if they don't sound awesome. They are two very talented studio/pro songwriters who were smart enough to link up with an amazing singer.

That's kind of my point though. Scott could make any rock band sound great.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Dev wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:

The Wildabouts says yes, but Art of Anarchy says no.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:28 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bune wrote:
Dev wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:

Hey was past his prime in both of those bands. Seems like he was barely even alive.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:55 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Dev wrote:
bune wrote:
Dev wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:

Hey was past his prime in both of those bands. Seems like he was barely even alive.

For the most part I thought Velvet Revolver sucked.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Reading the VR wiki and it says that Chester Bennington was auditioned to replace Scott there too. Kind of funny/not funny.

I seem to recall that the guy from Slipknot said he recorded an album with them but it would never see the light of day but I can't find that now.

Oh, there it is on his wiki page:
Quote:
Taylor recently admitted that he tried out for the vacant singer spot in the band Velvet Revolver, but said that it just did not work out.[61] However, according to a recent Billboard article, it seems likely that he may in fact become the vocalist for Velvet Revolver, though no official confirmation has been made.[62] Duff McKagan added that they can neither "confirm or deny" Taylor's membership in the band but believes that Taylor is the "real deal".[63] Slash has since ruled Corey out as the possible new vocalist explaining that "[it] just wasn't right" although he does love him.[64] He however, has recorded 10 new songs with the band, drummer Matt Sorum stated it's unlikely it will ever be released.[65]

I still say that this new internet era of releasing stuff should make it easier for things to be released and yet there are so many albums that were recorded that will never see the light of day.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:
bune wrote:
Dev wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:

u were wrong

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:42 pm 

Dev wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:
bune wrote:
Dev wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:

u were wrong

Convince me

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:48 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:
bune wrote:
Dev wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:

u were wrong

Convince me

just listen to the albums and pay attention to Scott's dancing.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 pm 

Dev wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:
bune wrote:
Dev wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Dev wrote:

u were wrong

Convince me

just listen to the albums and pay attention to Scott's dancing.

You’re right, Scott’s dancing was the best part of VR.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 am 
Broken Tamborine

Scott's solo albums are pretty great

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:11 am 

Kalevi wrote:
Scott's solo albums are pretty great

12 Bar Blues is very good. Happy was ok, but I barely remember any of it. Never listened to Blaster.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

I thought they sounded great last night.. place was packed.. I was wondering the % of people who didn't even know that wasn't Scott singing..

I honestly thought the new songs even sounded really good.. I think I like that album better than the last self titled

I think I was the most pumped person in the building when they busted out Atlanta.. my buddy was pumped for piece of pie, which is the song he nailed at the audition to get the gig.. also I thought it was neat he credited glide as his favorite stp song

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:14 pm 

i got bugs wrote:
I thought they sounded great last night.. place was packed.. I was wondering the % of people who didn't even know that wasn't Scott singing..

I honestly thought the new songs even sounded really good.. I think I like that album better than the last self titled

I think I was the most pumped person in the building when they busted out Atlanta.. my buddy was pumped for piece of pie, which is the song he nailed at the audition to get the gig.. also I thought it was neat he credited glide as his favorite stp song

:thumbsup: Sounds pretty damn good. The set lists have me super intrigued. I might have to try to go to a show.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:08 pm 
Rank This Poster

Yeah its definitely worth checking out.. especially only 36 bucks plus I got to hang out with a few good friends I haven't seen in a while

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

If they come to Arg, i would go. The setlist seem pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu June 14, 2018 1:14 am 
Future Drummer

bart wrote:
bada wrote:
Quote:
Kretz: The line in the song about dogs is basically because dogs have always fascinated me because their sense of smell is so incredible. If someone comes to your house and walks around the corner, they don't have to see you, but they can still smell the scent. I put that part in there because of the uncertainty of who's going to be around when we're gone, what's going to be happening and how much everyone in the band loved dogs, how much we loved having dogs there for watchdogs and certain types of protection. They were man's best friend. And yeah, that's kind of an odd thing but it all made sense at the time. With the mask in the lyrics, it was around the Day of the Dead – the Mexican festival – and there's a lot of masks. We were always excited about ethnic art. If you look at ethnic art, masks are such a big part of it. It could come from a million places.

I still think about this paragraph sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu June 14, 2018 10:52 am 
AnalLog

This last album is growing on me. Six eight has grown massively

I thought the last album was ok.

Peacoat is fucking incredible

PostPosted: Thu June 14, 2018 3:26 pm 
Rank This Poster

bart wrote:
bart wrote:
bada wrote:
Quote:
Kretz: The line in the song about dogs is basically because dogs have always fascinated me because their sense of smell is so incredible. If someone comes to your house and walks around the corner, they don't have to see you, but they can still smell the scent. I put that part in there because of the uncertainty of who's going to be around when we're gone, what's going to be happening and how much everyone in the band loved dogs, how much we loved having dogs there for watchdogs and certain types of protection. They were man's best friend. And yeah, that's kind of an odd thing but it all made sense at the time. With the mask in the lyrics, it was around the Day of the Dead – the Mexican festival – and there's a lot of masks. We were always excited about ethnic art. If you look at ethnic art, masks are such a big part of it. It could come from a million places.

I still think about this paragraph sometimes.

:haha:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands