The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: PJ ranked #23 on RS 50 Best Live Bands
PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:39 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... w-20130731

Well, at least we're in good company (with the likes of Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen) and we beat out DMB (which I have a strong distaste for) but I would have expected a top 20 spot at least.

And for the record, surprisingly, the panel that picked these includes some legit peeps whose opinion on music I respect....

Post subject: Re: PJ ranked #23 on RS 50 Best Live Bands
PostPosted: Sun August 04, 2013 8:46 pm 
AnalLog

bluestate wrote:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/50-greatest-live-acts-right-now-20130731

Well, at least we're in good company (with the likes of Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen) and we beat out DMB (which I have a strong distaste for) but I would have expected a top 20 spot at least.

And for the record, surprisingly, the panel that picked these includes some legit peeps whose opinion on music I respect....

I saw that list... it was a typical Rolling Stone list... Arcade Fire at number 4? I mean, I know im out of the "whats new/hip" in music loop... but Arcade Fire was one spot ahead of Neil freaking Young!

Im not a huge DMB band either, but, DMB and PJ have a pretty faithful following of fans for their lives shows... they both should have been higher.

PostPosted: Sun August 04, 2013 9:20 pm 
Poster of the Year

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
bluestate wrote:

I saw that list... it was a typical Rolling Stone list... Arcade Fire at number 4? I mean, I know im out of the "whats new/hip" in music loop... but Arcade Fire was one spot ahead of Neil freaking Young!

Im not a huge DMB band either, but, DMB and PJ have a pretty faithful following of fans for their lives shows... they both should have been higher.

Have you seen Arcade Fire? And since what do the fans have to do with the quality of the performance?

PostPosted: Sun August 04, 2013 11:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I didnt agree with most of the list, but I havent seen half of those bands. I havent seen Arcade Fire live, but everyone I know who has says they are amazing. I also thought their description of Radiohead shows was spot on.

PostPosted: Sun August 04, 2013 11:48 pm 
Poster of the Year

But Arcade Fire is new so they can't be as good as the older bands!

PostPosted: Sun August 04, 2013 11:52 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

bmacsmith I saw your post you coward

PostPosted: Mon August 05, 2013 12:09 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

theplatypus wrote:
bmacsmith I saw your post you coward

I felt stupid commenting on a Rolling Stone list. and I just don't feel like fighting any more.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon August 05, 2013 12:43 am 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
bluestate wrote:

Have you seen Arcade Fire? And since what do the fans have to do with the quality of the performance?

bands who put on bad live performances dont build the type of live following dmb and pearl jam has.

PostPosted: Mon August 05, 2013 12:50 am 
Rank This Poster

this list is terrible, even for rolling stone. both dmb and pearl jam should be in the top ten, probably in front of rage.

Quote:
rarely played cuts like "Dancing Nancies"

do they even do research? thats one of their most popular live songs. its like saying dte is a rare pearl jam song.

PostPosted: Mon August 05, 2013 12:55 am 
Poster of the Year

warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
bluestate wrote:

bands who put on bad live performances dont build the type of live following dmb and pearl jam has.

It just means they were good for long enough to build a reputation.

PostPosted: Mon August 05, 2013 12:57 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I can't believe they left out Naked City

PostPosted: Mon August 05, 2013 12:58 am 
Poster of the Year

And where the fuck is The Mynabirds on this list!?

PostPosted: Mon August 05, 2013 1:20 am 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:
warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
bluestate wrote:

that, or in the case of pearl jam and dmb, they have put on incredible, incredible performances over the years.

PostPosted: Mon August 05, 2013 8:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

warehouse wrote:
this list is terrible, even for rolling stone. both dmb and pearl jam should be in the top ten, probably in front of rage.

Quote:
rarely played cuts like "Dancing Nancies"

do they even do research? thats one of their most popular live songs. its like saying dte is a rare pearl jam song.

Yea they play Dancing Nancies all the time.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 2:17 am 
AnalLog

warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
bluestate wrote:

that, or in the case of pearl jam and dmb, they have put on incredible, incredible performances over the years.

I get what youre saying Cup, but its typical Rolling Stones "lets put a newer / up and coming band up high on the list to 1 - bring in the newer crowd to our magazine and 2 - piss off the old timers...

Its like putting a baseball/football player in his 2nd or 3rd year on a list of all time greats... ya gotta earn it

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 2:20 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

yeah cup

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 2:23 am 
Poster of the Year

theplatypus wrote:
yeah cup

SmileInMyTree used to call me that.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 3:19 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
yeah cup

SmileInMyTree used to call me that.

when skimming over threads... i usually see your name as "cupofdead" which isnt half bad either LOL

but the list still sucks :peace:

PostPosted: Wed August 07, 2013 4:44 pm 
AnalLog

What to say?

Alabama Shakes? Really? I love Wilco and MMJ, seen them both lots of times and I'm sure they would both tell you they aren't better live than Pearl Jam.

Rolling Stone :shake:

PostPosted: Wed August 07, 2013 11:46 pm 
AnalLog

Arcade Fire are incredible live. I can't believe the placement of Jack White on this list. I've never heard a single positive thing about his live show. I'm sure it's good most of the time but it kind of reeks of "we love the artist, so let's put him on this list".

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live