The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - Definitive Live Versions (a Green Habit sequ
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:36 am 
The Master

ridleybradout wrote:
Riot Act is proving to be a tough challenge - there are a number of neck-and-neck selection quandaries that I'd appreciate any input on:

All Or None:
- Boston 2003-07-11
- Albany 2003-04-29
- Benaroya 2003-10-22

I'd say Albany. The Boston version is a languid, sleepy take that fits well in the Boston set, but would likely feel out of place with a more energetic mix. Benaroya is a great take, but most have heard it plenty.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:16 am 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
Riot Act is proving to be a tough challenge - there are a number of neck-and-neck selection quandaries that I'd appreciate any input on:

All Or None:
- Boston 2003-07-11
- Albany 2003-04-29
- Benaroya 2003-10-22

I'd say Albany. The Boston version is a languid, sleepy take that fits well in the Boston set, but would likely feel out of place with a more energetic mix. Benaroya is a great take, but most have heard it plenty.

I'm leaning towards Albany too, but simply because I think it may be the better performance.

Another dead-heat for Half Full:

- Holmdel 2003-07-14
- Paris 2006-09-11
(Easy Street isn't quite up to the same standard IMO)

Thoughts? If Paris is chosen it may be the only non-2003 track in the album sequence (not that that should matter).

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:20 am 
Looks Like a Cat

ridleybradout wrote:
If Paris is chosen it may be the only non-2003 track in the album sequence (not that that should matter).

I havent listened in while, but isnt there a difference in how the bootlegs are mixed between 2003 and 2006? Maybe you guys are skilled enough to adjust for things like that...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

ridleybradout wrote:

All Or None:
- Boston 2003-07-11
- Albany 2003-04-29
- Benaroya 2003-10-22

Save You:
- West Palm Beach 2003-04-11
- Council Bluffs 2003-06-13

You Are:
- Champaign 2003-04-23
- Camden 2003-07-06

I Am Mine:
- MSG 2003-07-08 shortlisted so far, but surely for a song played almost every night of the tour there must be other great versions - anyone have any suggestions?...

I'm not well versed in Riot Act Era versions to provide advice. However I am really interested in the version that wins out for All of None. The Boston version from the acoustic set is impressive, especial the hendrixy licks in the solo so am wondering if anything can beat that. Benaroya is nice, but the flub in the solo lets it down (despite the emotional comeback that immediately follows). Surely there are others that can compete? Given the moody nature of this track and the solo matching Mike's style to the tee there must be others?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:48 am 
Future Drummer

ducko wrote:
I'm not well versed in Riot Act Era versions to provide advice. However I am really interested in the version that wins out for All of None. The Boston version from the acoustic set is impressive, especial the hendrixy licks in the solo so am wondering if anything can beat that. Benaroya is nice, but the flub in the solo lets it down (despite the emotional comeback that immediately follows). Surely there are others that can compete? Given the moody nature of this track and the solo matching Mike's style to the tee there must be others?

All Or None was only played 3 other times on the 2003 tour. It is a shame about the Benaroya flub - that probably takes it out of contention. Have a listen to Albany:

https://youtu.be/-inwbztEYgY?t=1h40m1s

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:52 am 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
If Paris is chosen it may be the only non-2003 track in the album sequence (not that that should matter).

I havent listened in while, but isnt there a difference in how the bootlegs are mixed between 2003 and 2006? Maybe you guys are skilled enough to adjust for things like that...

JWB is skilled enough to adjust for the different mastering, but nothing can adjust for the drastic differences in mixing between bootleg eras. That's why there is no attempt to make these discs sound like 'one concert' like other compilations, each track fades in and out and can be played/arranged/compiled however you please. You could say it's more of an anthology than a compilation :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:48 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I think some of the Riot Act tracks didn't reach their full potential until post-2003. That's why I don't think you should sleep on 2005/2006 shows.

I'll skip through some shows today and see what I can find.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:12 pm 

I Am Mine:

Chicago - May 17th, 2006 (has a nice pace, not as speedy as some other 2006 versions and Ed goes off wailing during the outro which I haven't heard on any other version, and it works because it's 2006 and he still has the power to do it. Sounds great.)

Detroit - May 22nd, 2006 (has a lovely bit of Ed guitar noodling just before he starts the song, it sounds nice)

Lisbon - September 4th, 2006 (great crowd reaction when the song starts, and it's just a really powerful version in my opinion. Ed's vocals are really on point)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:17 pm 
Future Drummer

The Leeds 2006 "Green Disease" is definitve IMO not only because it's tight, but because Ed doesn't play guitar in the verses and it sounds a hell of a lot better than the 2003 versions, which were slopfests in that regard.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm 

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
The Leeds 2006 "Green Disease" is definitve IMO not only because it's tight, but because Ed doesn't play guitar in the verses and it sounds a hell of a lot better than the 2003 versions, which were slopfests in that regard.

Bingo.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:31 pm 
AnalLog

ducko wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:

All Or None:
- Boston 2003-07-11
- Albany 2003-04-29
- Benaroya 2003-10-22

Save You:
- West Palm Beach 2003-04-11
- Council Bluffs 2003-06-13

You Are:
- Champaign 2003-04-23
- Camden 2003-07-06

I Am Mine:
- MSG 2003-07-08 shortlisted so far, but surely for a song played almost every night of the tour there must be other great versions - anyone have any suggestions?...

Mike throws in Zeppelin's Heartbreaker.

I love 1/2 Full from Holmdel.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I would def include Arc from Water on the Road since it's the only the proper live recording. I think it would strengthen this album and that's what these are all about. Great work!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:12 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

ridleybradout wrote:
ducko wrote:

All Or None was only played 3 other times on the 2003 tour. It is a shame about the Benaroya flub - that probably takes it out of contention. Have a listen to Albany:

Wow, only 3 other times…but its such a cool song! I've listened to Albany a few times, but i find Mike's solo from Boston to be a bt better structured..and the cool hendrix thing right at the end tips me over the edge. My vote for Boston for All of None.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:12 am 
Future Drummer

ducko wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
ducko wrote:

Wow, only 3 other times…but its such a cool song! I've listened to Albany a few times, but i find Mike's solo from Boston to be a bt better structured..and the cool hendrix thing right at the end tips me over the edge. My vote for Boston for All of None.

That Boston solo is pretty incredible - Riot Act was actually a great album for Mike solos. Help Help and Get Right solos are massively underrated :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:46 am 
Future Drummer

Coach wrote:
I would def include Arc from Water on the Road since it's the only the proper live recording. I think it would strengthen this album and that's what these are all about. Great work!

Thanks for your thoughts Coach, but I think you might be in minority on this one. I'm apprehensive of including it for two reasons:

- respect for it being left off 2003 bootlegs
- the Water On The Road version not being from a Pearl Jam show

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:28 am 
Future Drummer

Coach wrote:

i think i agree with this. it's the only good sounding version we have, and it's not like the 2003 performances were any different in terms of instrumentation and personnel that would differentiate them from the ed solo tour version. until we have another proper recording, i don't really see strong enough justification in keeping it off a 'defnitive live version' compilation even though it wasn't specifically performed at a pearl jam show (or in 2003). to date, this arc is the definitive live version simply because we have nothing else. the only negative is it has crowd noise near the end, but any 2003 audience version would have that, too. i think the 'it wasn't on the bootlegs to begin with' argument became moot once it showed up on water on the road- the song wasn't sacred territory any more once that happened.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:36 am 
A Return To Form

AndySlash wrote:
Coach wrote:

i think i agree with this. it's the only good sounding version we have, and it's not like the 2003 performances were any different in terms of instrumentation and personnel that would differentiate them from the ed solo tour version. until we have another proper recording, i don't really see strong enough justification in keeping it off a 'defnitive live version' compilation even though it wasn't specifically performed at a pearl jam show (or in 2003). to date, this arc is the definitive live version simply because we have nothing else. the only negative is it has crowd noise near the end, but any 2003 audience version would have that, too. i think the 'it wasn't on the bootlegs to begin with' argument became moot once it showed up on water on the road- the song wasn't sacred territory any more once that happened.

Still not in favour of having Arc included. Seems like too much of a stretch to be including an Ed solo version especially for such a "fringe" track anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:39 am 
Future Drummer

any version is an ed solo version

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:27 am 
Future Drummer

Poll privileges please! :-D

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 am 
Future Drummer

BootsToAsses wrote:
I Am Mine:

Chicago - May 17th, 2006 (has a nice pace, not as speedy as some other 2006 versions and Ed goes off wailing during the outro which I haven't heard on any other version, and it works because it's 2006 and he still has the power to do it. Sounds great.)

Detroit - May 22nd, 2006 (has a lovely bit of Ed guitar noodling just before he starts the song, it sounds nice)

Lisbon - September 4th, 2006 (great crowd reaction when the song starts, and it's just a really powerful version in my opinion. Ed's vocals are really on point)

Thanks heaps for these suggestions. I really like Chicago and the fact that it slower is big positive. I haven't found any 2003 versions to top MSG 2003-07-08, which is a strong and heartfelt version.

I have found a new version of You Are to top the other suggestions - Uniondale 2003-04-30 :nice:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 38  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam