The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Home Theater Discussion
PostPosted: Sun November 05, 2017 3:23 am 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
You should be fine with 100mbps. Netflix recommends at least 25mbps for 4K, so I think you'll be okay. Which TV are you thinking of getting? Or have you not looked yet?

I haven't really looked yet since I won't be buying 'til next year. I want something that's at least as big as my current one, which is 55", and obviously something with good technical specs re: image quality. I did look for the model you posted in another thread and it costs five thousand dollars here.

Yeesh. Well, make sure to post again when you start looking. Keep in mind there's a lot of factors to consider if you're gonna go 4K - HDR10, Dolby Vision, WCG, edge-lit vs. full array, peak brightness, screen size relative to viewing distance, and on and on.

PostPosted: Sun November 05, 2017 3:38 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
You should be fine with 100mbps. Netflix recommends at least 25mbps for 4K, so I think you'll be okay. Which TV are you thinking of getting? Or have you not looked yet?

I haven't really looked yet since I won't be buying 'til next year. I want something that's at least as big as my current one, which is 55", and obviously something with good technical specs re: image quality. I did look for the model you posted in another thread and it costs five thousand dollars here.

Yeesh. Well, make sure to post again when you start looking. Keep in mind there's a lot of factors to consider if you're gonna go 4K - HDR10, Dolby Vision, WCG, edge-lit vs. full array, peak brightness, screen size relative to viewing distance, and on and on.

I just going to give you my CC and have you go pick me out a tv when it comes time.

Also, to get maximum viewing pleasure in this sort of set up....do these shows need to be shot in 4k/ultraHD or are these TV's and devices just preventing data loss?

PostPosted: Sun November 05, 2017 3:44 am 
The Master

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I just going to give you my CC and have you go pick me out a tv when it comes time.

Also, to get maximum viewing pleasure in this sort of set up....do these shows need to be shot in 4k/ultraHD or are these TV's and devices just preventing data loss?

lol, that's pretty close to what my friend did.

Oh boy, you just opened up a can of worms. There's a lot of discussion about 2K vs. 4K digital intermediates; basically, a lot of movies are still only finished at 2K, making the 4K discs essentially upscales. However, even when a 2K DI is the source, you're still gonna see an uptick in detail over a 1080p counterpart. And HDR is also a big upgrade, even if you're not getting full, native 4K resolution.

PostPosted: Sun November 05, 2017 3:46 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

lol, that's pretty close to what my friend did.

Oh boy, you just opened up a can of worms. There's a lot of discussion about 2K vs. 4K digital intermediates; basically, a lot of movies are still only finished at 2K, making the 4K discs essentially upscales. However, even when a 2K DI is the source, you're still gonna see an uptick in detail over a 1080p counterpart. And HDR is also a big upgrade, even if you're not getting full, native 4K resolution.

Thank you a lot for this post, verm.

PostPosted: Sun November 05, 2017 3:48 am 
The Master

I could twist your ear all day about this stuff. I'm obsessed.

PostPosted: Sun November 05, 2017 4:20 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Will do. I'll post the models I'm considering to get your input. Thankssss

PostPosted: Sun November 05, 2017 5:23 am 
The Master

All of that just stressed me out.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 4:26 am 
The Master

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
Also, LV. I have a huge wall to mount a tv now. So, im going to need your guidance in upgrading.

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Im gonna need at least 50" plus.

50" screen, money green, leather sofa.

50” is kid stuff! Your goal should be making the mountains on your TV look better than the mountains outside your window.

Amazing.

Send me ideas and suggestions, please.

A couple baseline questions:

What kind of TV do you have currently?
What do you mostly use your TV for? Sports? Movies? Which services do you use (cable, Netflix, Hulu, etc.)?
How far will you be sitting from your new TV?

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 4:44 am 
Looks Like a Cat

This might be the nerdiest thread on RM.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 4:47 am 
The Master

What kind of setup you rockin’, Reid?

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 4:52 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I've got a Google Chromecast streaming through a 55" Samsung TV. Outdated model, no 4k or anything like that. No wall mount. Just sits atop a rustic cabinet painted to look like distressed wood.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 2:35 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
Also, LV. I have a huge wall to mount a tv now. So, im going to need your guidance in upgrading.

50” is kid stuff! Your goal should be making the mountains on your TV look better than the mountains outside your window.

Amazing.

What do you mostly use your TV for? Sports? Movies? Which services do you use (cable, Netflix, Hulu, etc.)?

I love this.

I currently have a 43" Vizio. Ill be sitting approximately 7-8' away.

Mostly watch movies Via Itunes, Netflix, Hulu.... Minor sports watching.

I will be mounting the tv above my receiver and turntable.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 4:39 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Amazing.

I love this.

Sitting 7’-8’ away, I am of the opinion that you essentially have no size restrictions. I sit about 5’-6’ away from mine and I have a 65”. I would say you definitely shouldn’t go under 50”, and I think even going under 55” is too small for that much distance. But this is all subjective, of course.

Looking back at your earlier posts, I saw you have an Apple TV 4K. That’s great - that is by far the best 4K streaming device on the market. The content I’ve seen through one has looked great, and iTunes has the best selection of digital 4K movies around (and for the best prices). I would highly recommend paying the extra few bucks to upgrade your Netflix plan to Ultra HD. Well worth it; they offer some pretty amazing picture quality.

Are you comfortable revealing your price range? That would help give me a starting point for model recommendations. I will say that Sony and Samsung are generally reliable brands. If you’re looking for something low-mid range, TCL offers some surprising quality for the price point too.

Two things to make sure your TV has: High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Wide Color Gamut (WCG). These are game changers, IMO, and almost as important as 4K the resolution upgrade. Another feature I love that isn’t as essential is local dimming, but that can be a bit harder to find if you’re looking at the lower end of things.

Do you have any kind of external speakers or soundbar? I’d highly recommend you get some if not. TV manufacturers don’t expect people who know what they’re doing to actually use the built-in TV speakers, which is why they’re always cheap shit.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 4:44 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Amazing.

I love this.

Sitting 7’-8’ away, I am of the opinion that you essentially have no size restrictions. I sit about 5’-6’ away from mine and I have a 65”. I would say you definitely shouldn’t go under 50”, and I think even going under 55” is too small for that much distance. But this is all subjective, of course.

Looking back at your earlier posts, I saw you have an Apple TV 4K. That’s great - that is by far the best 4K streaming device on the market. The content I’ve seen through one has looked great, and iTunes has the best selection of digital 4K movies around (and for the best prices). I would highly recommend paying the extra few bucks to upgrade your Netflix plan to Ultra HD. Well worth it; they offer some pretty amazing picture quality.

Are you comfortable revealing your price range? That would help give me a starting point for model recommendations. I will say that Sony and Samsung are generally reliable brands. If you’re looking for something low-mid range, TCL offers some surprising quality for the price point too.

Two things to make sure your TV has: High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Wide Color Gamut (WCG). These are game changers, IMO, and almost as important as 4K the resolution upgrade. Another feature I love that isn’t as essential is local dimming, but that can be a bit harder to find if you’re looking at the lower end of things.

Do you have any kind of external speakers or soundbar? I’d highly recommend you get some if not. TV manufacturers don’t expect people who know what they’re doing to actually use the built-in TV speakers, which is why they’re always cheap shit.

If you can afford it, an LG OLED is the way to go. Vizio M Series is a great budget option in addition to TCLs. Otherwise, totally on board with LV here.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 4:45 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Amazing.

I love this.

I run my TV experience through the same as my record listening. Through my Marantz receiver and wharfdale diamond floor speakers.

Im thinking between $500-$1000 I know thats a wide range but....

I dont need top of the line quality as im not running a movie theater experience but I would like something I am going to be continually impressed by for years to come. Other things high on my priority need is outdoor living spaces !

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 4:47 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Hey I bought a new TV earlier this year. I am finally 4K'd, but I have barely used it for 4K things. Later on I'll post the model. All I know is it's Samsung and 58".

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 5:21 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Amazing.

I love this.

If you can afford it, an LG OLED is the way to go. Vizio M Series is a great budget option in addition to TCLs. Otherwise, totally on board with LV here.

I actually disagree. I totally understand the cult of OLED, but the tech’s unique foibles (potential burn-in, issues with near-black content, weak peak brightness, issues with grain resolution in shot-on-film movies in 4K) are dealbreakers for me. The tech is exciting, but it’s not “there” yet, IMO. I personally wouldn’t buy one.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 5:24 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Amazing.

I love this.

I run my TV experience through the same as my record listening. Through my Marantz receiver and wharfdale diamond floor speakers.

Im thinking between $500-$1000 I know thats a wide range but....

I dont need top of the line quality as im not running a movie theater experience but I would like something I am going to be continually impressed by for years to come. Other things high on my priority need is outdoor living spaces !

Got it! I’ll get back to you later today.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 5:24 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
Hey I bought a new TV earlier this year. I am finally 4K'd, but I have barely used it for 4K things. Later on I'll post the model. All I know is it's Samsung and 58".

Nice! How are you liking if? (Let me know if you need any settings help.)

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 6:14 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Amazing.

I love this.

I actually disagree. I totally understand the cult of OLED, but the tech’s unique foibles (potential burn-in, issues with near-black content, weak peak brightness, issues with grain resolution in shot-on-film movies in 4K) are dealbreakers for me. The tech is exciting, but it’s not “there” yet, IMO. I personally wouldn’t buy one.

Similar to the issues with plasma TVs. I feel the colors are more natural, but yeah, there are some issues with any type of display.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment