The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jack White / White Stripes / Dead Weather / Raconteurs /
PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 12:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Jack White is a weirdo. But he's a fucking talented weirdo. And I'm glad he's still doing his thing. I'll miss him when he's gone.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 1:38 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

wow guys you really hate him.

Anyway, im still shocked on how good those performances were. Its been a while since i saw something so raw in SNL.

Now im waiting for my boy Childish Gambino to rock it.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 1:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I haven't had a chance to watch the SNL performances yet. Really looking forward to those.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 2:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Just watched the SNL performances. That was outstanding. Vinyl Guy is the only one making any sense in this thread right now.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 2:24 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
Just watched the SNL performances. That was outstanding. Vinyl Guy is the only one making any sense in this thread right now.

They are remarkable right? They are rocking in a sense nobody rocks these days. The fuck you attitude is there, and they are tight as hell.
Man, i need to see Jack live this tour.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 2:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

They are remarkable right? They are rocking in a sense nobody rocks these days. The fuck you attitude is there, and they are tight as hell.

I got so burned the one and only time I saw him live, so I don't know if I can bring myself to fork over the money to try again. But he's absolutely incredible live. The 50 minutes I saw him play was blistering and powerful. The guy knows how to throw down.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:15 pm 
Rank This Poster

I didn't see the snl and I like jw, I just don't like the new album at all

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:17 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I got so burned the one and only time I saw him live, so I don't know if I can bring myself to fork over the money to try again. But he's absolutely incredible live. The 50 minutes I saw him play was blistering and powerful. The guy knows how to throw down.

I saw him in Lollapalooza here a few years ago. Incredible. The crowd was super into it and Jack seemed energized by it. And then Robert Plant came and they played the lemon song. So fuck, yeah...it was something out of this world.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:23 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

In my defense, I didn't say I hated him, just that he was hugely overrated...

I don't hate his music. It's perfectly fine Detroit blues rock. A billion bands have done it before. Seems like he's on an MC5 kick with his latest record. I've just always found him music to be fairly dull (Get Behind Me Satan notwithstanding, which I like quite a bit). I've just never understood his massive popularity; seems like there are way more talented and/or interesting rock bands out there, and certainly within the minimalist, super-stripped down subset that The White Stripes rode to fame in the early aughts.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:29 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Thats fine Trag, i get it.
Im not a super fan, hell i havent even listened to white stripes!!

But damn that show and the one i saw with dead weather showed me a talented and one of kind musician.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I saw him in Lollapalooza here a few years ago. Incredible. The crowd was super into it and Jack seemed energized by it. And then Robert Plant came and they played the lemon song. So fuck, yeah...it was something out of this world.

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:39 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I don't hate his music. It's perfectly fine Detroit blues rock. A billion bands have done it before. Seems like he's on an MC5 kick with his latest record. I've just always found him music to be fairly dull (Get Behind Me Satan notwithstanding, which I like quite a bit). I've just never understood his massive popularity; seems like there are way more talented and/or interesting rock bands out there, and certainly within the minimalist, super-stripped down subset that The White Stripes rode to fame in the early aughts.

For me, hearing White Blood Cells for the first time was akin to hearing Nevermind for the first time. It was shocking. Maybe if I knew more of the bands you're talking about I'd feel more similarly. I don't know. But I think Jack White deserves and has earned every bit of his hype.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:39 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I remember being all super pussy with Dead Weather a few moments before they played and being completely blown away after the first song.
Not only i wanted to see more, but i wanted to belong in that fuckin badass unit. I wanted to be a part of the band.

The same happened with Jack solo in Lolla. Man, his band, attitude, lights show...you want to be a part of it somehow.

This comes from a guy who never listened to the stripes at all.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
I remember being all super pussy with Dead Weather a few moments before they played and being completely blown away after the first song.
Not only i wanted to see more, but i wanted to belong in that fuckin badass unit. I wanted to be a part of the band.

The same happened with Jack solo in Lolla. Man, his band, attitude, lights show...you want to be a part of it somehow.

This comes from a guy who never listened to the stripes at all.

This guy gets it.

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:58 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

For me, hearing White Blood Cells for the first time was akin to hearing Nevermind for the first time. It was shocking. Maybe if I knew more of the bands you're talking about I'd feel more similarly. I don't know. But I think Jack White deserves and has earned every bit of his hype.

Totally fair. I'm sure there's tons of art I love, that rocked my world, that is quite derivative of older works. That shouldn't diminish its capacity to thrill. But yeah, when De Stijl was all the rage around 2000 or so, I just remember feeling like "What am I missing? I've heard this record like ten times before."

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:58 pm 
The Master

The white stripes show, and the 3 raconteurs shows i saw were some of the best shows i ever did saw

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 4:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Totally fair. I'm sure there's tons of art I love, that rocked my world, that is quite derivative of older works. That shouldn't diminish its capacity to thrill. But yeah, when De Stijl was all the rage around 2000 or so, I just remember feeling like "What am I missing? I've heard this record like ten times before."

White Blood Cells was my entry point. I didn't go back to De Stijl and the debut until after Elephant came out. So I was hearing those first two records through the two absolutely brilliant records that followed. To me White Blood Cells through Get Behind Me Satan is a phenomenal and perfect run. I like De Stijl quite a bit, though I don't think it quite holds up next to those others. I do think it's better than Icky Thump.

What other bands do you like more than The White Stripes that have that same minimalist, super-stripped down thing going on that you referenced above?

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 4:16 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

White Blood Cells was my entry point. I didn't go back to De Stijl and the debut until after Elephant came out. So I was hearing those first two records through the two absolutely brilliant records that followed. To me White Blood Cells through Get Behind Me Satan is a phenomenal and perfect run. I like De Stijl quite a bit, though I don't think it quite holds up next to those others. I do think it's better than Icky Thump.

What other bands do you like more than The White Stripes that have that same minimalist, super-stripped down thing going on that you referenced above?

Some bands/artists that are similar to The White Stripes/Jack White but have resonated with me more:

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
MC5
Iggy & The Stooges
T-Model Ford
Rolling Stones (Get Behind Me Satan is great, but it's also a blatant nod to Beggars Banquet).
Junior Kimbrough
The Kinks
Muddy Waters

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 4:17 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Some bands/artists that are similar to The White Stripes/Jack White but have resonated with me more:

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
MC5
Iggy & The Stooges
T-Model Ford
Rolling Stones (Get Behind Me Satan is great, but it's also a blatant nod to Beggars Banquet).
Junior Kimbrough
The Kinks
Muddy Waters

okay dad welcome to the 21st century

PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 4:18 pm 
The Master

Again, I'll reiterate: Jack White is a talented and passionate musician. I just never found his music to be particularly noteworthy when many others have mined those sounds before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 30  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands