The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Release

Post subject: Sam The Astronaut - Midnight Carlight (the second album)
PostPosted: Fri July 08, 2016 9:23 pm 
Future Drummer

My kid has a new project, Sam The Astronaut. Pretty mainstream and poppy. Ten song album coming out on July 23. The sound influences primarily come from Sticky Fingers, Bleachers and The 1975.

You can stream the album here, http://www.samtheastronaut.com/stream

First original song from the project, hopefully a fun song for the summer.

Currently they've put out out a cover of Sticky Fingers' Australia Street. The sound influences primarily come from Sticky Fingers, Bleachers and The 1975.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Mon May 11, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Sam The Astronaut - Australia Street (Sticky Fingers cov
PostPosted: Sat July 09, 2016 4:53 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

What an awesomely cool song. wow!

Post subject: Re: Sam The Astronaut - Girls of Summer (full album)
PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2016 5:01 pm 
Future Drummer

They just played their first real show last night and they were good, For a first show it was pretty tight. Everyone has good presence and energy. Love seeing my punk rock drummer kid develop this west coast groove. They even drop in a little reggae. If you were male and under 25 it was the place to be. About 100 people and 80% were woman under 25.

So far, they're getting lots of positive feedback and slowly from beyond people they know.

My quick rundown of the songs on the album. First and foremost this album is a musical love story. Told pretty honestly.

Waves - The only song professionally recorded and produced. This is the sound they're going for, dirt pop is the tag. Take a pop song and dirty it up a little. Opens with a synth break that reminds me of Night At The Roxy and then let the sway take over. Music to sway to. Lyrics tell a nice story. The girl, cabin and green lake are all true and in New Zealand.

Sunshine Gold - My kid set out to write a song about having fun. I think he achieved his goal. A song about smoking, drinking and friends. If last night was the norm, it is pretty sing--long-y. From here on out it is produced by my son and mostly recorded and written in his bedroom.

Losing My Mind - Lots of good stuff going on in this song. Nicely shows of the vocalists abilities. Love the falsetto vocals.

Heavy - My son's favorite song but would love to re-record properly. The sax solo is great, and a great memory hearing it played and recorded in his room. Pop music needs more sax.

Lipstick - This just grooves and has nice outro solo.

Stop In The Moment - The vocal production on this are very cool.

19 - A song written in the vein of Margarittaville. Singer comes around to blame himself. The vocal break is unreal from a 19 year old. Could be my favorite moment.

Run - Second song my kid ever wrote. Still trying to find his way as a song writer.

Boy Meets Girl - First song he ever wrote. I still love this song. Lyrics tell an absolutely true love story. He has mix with all the background lazers, amp dropping and other noises up front which I freaking love but this mix fits the album.

Girls of Summer - Dance floor was packed for this last night. Straight ahead pop that makes you want to dance. Another true story. The outro turns the song on it's head and is a heartbreaking conclusion to the love story that is told over the previous nine songs. Inspired by Jack Johnson lyrics and the way he lovingly writes about his wife..

You look so good in your long blonde hair.
Just ask me once, I'll go anywhere.
Woke up this morning and you were not there,
just 7,000 miles away from here.
So I wrote this song and it sounds like you.
With only good notes and the things you do.
Tell me to stay.
Tell me to stay.

PostPosted: Sun December 25, 2016 2:37 am 
Future Drummer

Very happy to say that my kid's band got signed to a small label with their choice of producer. Here's the first thing they've done with the label, a re-work of one of their songs, live from my living room.

While I'm here fixing the youtube link, the label is releasing the album with some re-mixes and the song below added to it. Looking at a March 17 release to coincide with a St. Patty's Day show. They had a show at my favorite Vancouver bar Saturday night and they were so good. It's a little surreal to see two hundred people dancing and singing to a song your kid wrote.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Fri February 03, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon December 26, 2016 7:05 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Awesome news.

PostPosted: Sat January 28, 2017 7:39 pm 
Future Drummer

The label is having the original album remixed and one new song added to it. This is the first single by the label. Not much of a video.

Way more exciting to me is the new music they're working on. It's so much better and getting to be a nice hybrid of so much music and influences. I don't know how to link to facebook but I can suggest, if you care to look up Sam the Astronaut and find the one minute sound clip posted Jan. 22. It's from their show the night before. The vocals are freeform and I think it smokes in all kinds of ways.

Snippet of the studio demo.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPa-RljF_B2 ... onautmusic

Last edited by surfndestroy on Thu February 02, 2017 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 1:42 am 
Future Drummer

This is one of the songs from last weekend's show. All my son has done is EQ'd the recording. The last minute and fifteen of the song, I think is pretty solid. I look forward to the remainder of the show being released.

https://www.facebook.com/samtheastronaut/videos/282411878842177/

They've included a link to download the song in the comments.

The last minute and a half of Heavy is a band just hitting top gear. The backing vocals by the guitarist while playing leads, fuck me. The vocalist is just killing it.

This captures the last minute or so.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP8xTtglUt7 ... onautmusic

Last edited by surfndestroy on Sat February 18, 2017 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri February 03, 2017 8:43 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

surfndestroy wrote:
The last minute and a half of Heavy is a band just hitting top gear. The backing vocals by the guitarist while playing leads, fuck me. The vocalist is just killing it.

This captures the last minute or so.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP8xTtglUt7 ... onautmusic

fucking wow man :shock:

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 8:10 pm 
Future Drummer

Sometimes being a parent is so much fun. Yesterday it was hearing my son's band recording Same Drugs by Chance The Rapper. Two mics, one take, live off the floor. Today it is listening to them practice for a show tomorrow night.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQoukfYBRXs/?taken-by=samtheastronautmusic

Not bad for an idea being bounced around on Tuesday night and recorded Thursday. They've included a link to download the song in the comments.

I have no idea about trending on Spotify but after having their song on Spotify for three weeks it finally seems to be getting some traction. The last four days have gone from 600 listens/day to 1,000 to 2,000 and 4,000 listens yesterday. Anyone know if this is good?

It is weird, awesome and humbling watching two kids (23 and 19) trying to make it happen, forging friendships and getting so much support from so many people.

02/18/17 Update: Wow. Yesterday they picked up new 20K+ listeners and over 23K listens. Next single, 'Waves' drops March 3rd. My fingers are crossed for momentum.

Forgot they did this The 1975 cover of Robbers a little bit ago. Three mics and one take but from inside a van.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Tue March 21, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 4:31 pm 
Future Drummer

Here's a pretty good clip from their show Friday. They were the headline act at a sold out 300 person venue. Being St. Patty's Day didn't hurt the vibe. The songs are; Surfer Rosa, Losing My Mind (2:55), Could This Be Love (7:00), and New Socks (10:05).

https://www.facebook.com/jenelle.burston/videos/10158210496710411/

They spent the remainder of the weekend playing at a ski hill a couple hour drive away. One of those shows was played in a a massive igloo. As their guitarist (Ben) noted "How many bands have played full on shows in both the woods and an igloo. How sick is that!!" Ben's a pretty chill guy.

Thought this was a decent take on the album and band, http://thepermanentrainpress.com/post/158632946393/under-the-radar-march-2017.

TJ and Garrison form Port Moody’s STA, and this act is the real deal. Debut LP Girls Of Summer was a July release, followed by their signing with Vancouver’s Nyhla Records in December. Their catalog is comprised with summer-y, synth filled beats and articulate lyricism. The narratives are bold, some personal, others more melancholic.

I’m not a frequent listener of hip hop, but songs like “Sunshine Gold” make it easy for me to appreciate the rhythmic flow. Online, STA shows their versatility by performing a ‘sad version’ of the former and, in short, it’s stunning. Pop and rock sounds meeting hip hop, there’s a refreshing rawness in each track. Definitely have ‘em on my list to see live.

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 4:17 am 
Future Drummer

June is being a great month for the band. One of their songs went over 300,000 listens on Spotify, They shot their first professional video, it looks great and should be out by the end of the month. They recorded and filmed their headlining show last night. They won their way onto a one day festival put on by a craft beer company, they will play to 1,500+ new listeners next weekend. And the big labels have started to come knocking.

I can't wait to post video from last night's show as they release it, there are moments I will put up against any band.

Unbelievably proud of my kid and his bandmates. The hard work and heart they are putting into this, even if nothing comes from it I will still be unbelievably proud.

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 4:21 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

the Montreal Exposed

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 5:10 am 
Future Drummer

knee tunes wrote:
the Montreal Exposed

Montreal born and raised. Loved them Expos.

PostPosted: Tue August 22, 2017 3:24 pm 
Future Drummer

Finally, it's out. They're pretty happy with this video. Next up is releasing all or parts of a live show. Then recording the next album in October/November.

...and from their one year anniversary party in the forest.

PostPosted: Wed December 27, 2017 7:29 pm 
Future Drummer

Finally something new, a live video of Losing My Mind from a show they did in the fall. It was the opening number. No overdubs but they do use some backing tracks live.

Next up is a alternate take of Sunshine Gold to be release very early January with the video being filmed today. Then a few months in the studio to dream it all up again for album two with an aim to get it out by late summer.

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 8:31 pm 
Future Drummer

A good couple of days for them. New year's eve in front of the their largest crowd to date and the release of an alternate version of Sunshine Gold in new year's day.

http://hyperurl.co/sta-sunshinegoldv2

Waves live on a chilly new year's eve. It was about 28.

and Sunshine Gold.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 8:00 pm 
Future Drummer

Pretty cool little snippet from Instagram. Taking a part of a song and capturing it from when my son was teaching it to his singer, morphing into the studio recording and finally into a live snippet. Nice write up with it.

Probably the thing I am most proud of my son on the first album is this part of the album. Primarily an album of heartbreak and all that involves, to then end on a note telling the girl she's truly amazing. Proud to have a kid like that.

samtheastronautmusic - yeoww girls of summer has passed over a 100,000 streams on Spotify. never did I think this song would be paid attention to, and specially the last bit at the end, until we played it live. I was playing the chords next to garrison and as he started singing, the crowd joined with the words. The whole verse. I didn’t think anyone would listen to that part yet memorize the lyrics. Definitely smelt some onions in the room during that haha, definitely a really cool moment. -tj

PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 6:17 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

surfndestroy wrote:
Pretty cool little snippet from Instagram. Taking a part of a song and capturing it from when my son was teaching it to his singer, morphing into the studio recording and finally into a live snippet. Nice write up with it.

Probably the thing I am most proud of my son on the first album is this part of the album. Primarily an album of heartbreak and all that involves, to then end on a note telling the girl she's truly amazing. Proud to have a kid like that.

samtheastronautmusic - yeoww girls of summer has passed over a 100,000 streams on Spotify. never did I think this song would be paid attention to, and specially the last bit at the end, until we played it live. I was playing the chords next to garrison and as he started singing, the crowd joined with the words. The whole verse. I didn’t think anyone would listen to that part yet memorize the lyrics. Definitely smelt some onions in the room during that haha, definitely a really cool moment. -tj

Love it

PostPosted: Sun June 17, 2018 4:15 am 
Future Drummer

Between last night's practice at home and today's show. Best Fathers Day present ever.

I'm not sure it comes across how tight they were but...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkG-pG7nFKM/

PostPosted: Thu June 28, 2018 7:31 pm 
Future Drummer

Album 2, Midnight Car Light is 95% written and 50% recorded. They hope to wrap up recording by mid September and have it fully mixed by end of November, then shop the shit out of it.

The music has the same qualities as Tom Petty music. Nothing revolutionary but somehow it's brand new, exciting and instantly familiar. Part pop, part r&b, part hip hop with inspiration taken from Pink Floyd, Bleachers, MGMT, Kanye, Lamar Kendrick. '80s synths meets hip hop sway. I can't wait until the world can hear this album. To see two years and more of your kid's dreams, sweat and dedication come to life is, well it's something I hope every parent gets to experience.

They are putting together a one time run of 100 on vinyl of their finished product. It idea is to capture their vision the best they could on the budget they had before a label gets a hold of it. 18 tracks, 65-70 minutes of music with one time only art work. The mastering for this will be by computer program though. It looks like it will be priced at somewhere between $30 and 35$ Canadian ($22-$27 USD plus nominal shipping). If anyone is interested drop me a PM, include your email and I can send you two tracks that are about 70% done so you can see if the music appeals to you.

Board index » Word on the Street » Release