The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: Was PJ ever The Biggest Band In The World?
PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 6:37 pm 
mXn

bodysnatcher wrote:
i can't believe Jagged Little Pill is that high up. i know it was a huge album, but didn't know it was THAT huge.

Yeah like every two weeks she had another #1 single.

As did Sixteen Stone by Bush as I recall.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 6:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bammer wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
i can't believe Jagged Little Pill is that high up. i know it was a huge album, but didn't know it was THAT huge.

https://www.stereogum.com/1990652/bushs-gavin-rossdale-invited-a-bunch-of-fans-onstage-and-it-didnt-go-so-well/video/

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:36 pm 
Future Drummer

bodysnatcher wrote:

IM shocked that Dire Straits are so high. They are a band I know for Sultans of Swing and Money for Nothing, but they never seemed like a huge band to me - just another one of many classic rock bands from a modern perspective.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

mikejasond wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

IM shocked that Dire Straits are so high. They are a band I know for Sultans of Swing and Money for Nothing, but they never seemed like a huge band to me - just another one of many classic rock bands from a modern perspective.

must have been that Weird Al cover from UHF

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:41 pm 
mXn

bodysnatcher wrote:
Bammer wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

https://www.stereogum.com/1990652/bushs-gavin-rossdale-invited-a-bunch-of-fans-onstage-and-it-didnt-go-so-well/video/

Amazing footage

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

mikejasond wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Absolutely massive outside the states, but even here Brothers in Arms was among the biggest sellers of the 80’s. In England at one point something like 1 in 6 households had a copy.

It’s always hard for me to imagine millions of people buying, say, Love Over Gold...but I can’t blame em either :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Dire Straits were massive in the 80s.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:44 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Anders wrote:
Dire Straits were massive in the 80s.

And great.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:44 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Absolutely massive outside the states, but even here Brothers in Arms was among the biggest sellers of the 80’s. In England at one point something like 1 in 6 households had a copy.

It’s always hard for me to imagine millions of people buying, say, Love Over Gold...but I can’t blame em either :thumbsup:

Im just saying like...I was born in 1992 and I know a lot of classic rock bands and songs but I never would have guessed Dire Straits were legendary enough to have an album THAT HIGH on that list. I mean how in the world are they above legendary bands like The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, or even like.....The Police?

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i'm gonna listen to Dire Straits right now

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:53 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

mikejasond wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Im just saying like...I was born in 1992 and I know a lot of classic rock bands and songs but I never would have guessed Dire Straits were legendary enough to have an album THAT HIGH on that list. I mean how in the world are they above legendary bands like The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, or even like.....The Police?

The Stones are a bit of a question mark here...they’ve basically been screwed by shoddy bookkeeping, and iir they don’t even appear on the list. However, yeah, Dire Straits were Springsteen and Michael Jackson-level in 84.

Most Beatles albums were in competition with other Beatles albums when they came out, or were only available in certain areas. Did you own Rubber Soul or Yesterday and Today? Etc. There are Beatles records that basically don’t exist anymore but which sold 5,000,000 copies once upon a time.

This list also set off an audit race between The Eagles and Michael Jackson’s organizations, who both magically discovered other sales data to help them reach the top....which is why they’ve both seen weird jumps in estimates in the years since.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bodysnatcher wrote:
i'm gonna listen to Dire Straits right now

Rollergirl,
Don’t worry.
You can’t deny me.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 7:58 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

The Stones are a bit of a question mark here...they’ve basically been screwed by shoddy bookkeeping, and iir they don’t even appear on the list. However, yeah, Dire Straits were Springsteen and Michael Jackson-level in 84.

Most Beatles albums were in competition with other Beatles albums when they came out, or were only available in certain areas. Did you own Rubber Soul or Yesterday and Today? Etc. There are Beatles records that basically don’t exist anymore but which sold 5,000,000 copies once upon a time.

This list also set off an audit race between The Eagles and Michael Jackson’s organizations, who both magically discovered other sales data to help them reach the top....which is why they’ve both seen weird jumps in estimates in the years since.

Very very interesting.....Everybody knows Springsteen and Michael Jackson but I would be surprised if most people my age know Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 8:00 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

mikejasond wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Very very interesting.....Everybody knows Springsteen and Michael Jackson but I would be surprised if most people my age know Dire Straits

Success in the moment has little relevance to historical standing. Herman’s Hermits and The Monkees both outsold the Beatles at various points.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 8:01 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

are you saying Cardi B won't be remembered in the coming generations? :waah:

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 8:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bodysnatcher wrote:

She’s a natural entertainer who harbors an encyclopedic knowledge of US presidents, so...she’s got options?

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 8:21 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Babymetal

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 8:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

McParadigm wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

She’s a natural entertainer who harbors an encyclopedic knowledge of US presidents, so...she’s got options?

is that true? i honestly don't know who she is other than by name

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 8:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 8:38 pm 
Future Drummer

mikejasond wrote:

The reasons for that are simple:

- The "Money For Nothing" video was one of the first to prominently use computer-generated animation, and it was also extremely popular on MTV because of the lyrical content. It was seemingly played every hour on the hour.

- "Brothers In Arms" was pushed as a state-of-the-art digital recording and was one of the first albums to be marketed/hyped as an essential compact disc to own, and was thus the first compact disc to sell over a million copies.

An example of the stars aligning for a band at just the right time.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam