The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Listen here! Audiobooks
PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 7:18 pm 
Future Drummer

Thought? opinion? recommendations? A thread for all things audiobooks.

I'm listening to my very first one, it's a travelogue. It requires more concentration than I thought as I'm not retaining the information as well as I do when I read it myself.

Post subject: Re: Listen here! Audiobooks
PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 8:02 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i've never listened to one

do people pay for these? or can you find them somewhere for free? (non-torrent)

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 8:05 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I tend to not enjoy the audiobook experience, personally. I've listened to a few books but I can't think of an audiobook that I've enjoyed more than a traditional reading experience. I've heard, though, that the experience continues to improve in a post-podcast world.

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 8:49 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The Magic 2.0 series of books have a good narrator. I can't access Audible atm to get his name but I really like him. I actually started seeking out books he narrated because of it.

The Themis Files series is a really good listen because they have different people doing each character like it's a play. Given that the books are set up as a series of interviews, it makes sense.

If you can find them, the first two Red Dwarf audio books have a wonderful narrator that can do a lot of different voices. I honestly thought they got the actors from the show when I started listening but it's just one guy doing it all.

The audiobook for the Joe Hill graphic novel Locke & Key is probably the best one I've heard. It is more of a play than most given the fact that they had to interpret from drawings instead of just reading what was on the page, and on top of that everyone has a voice (some more than one). I got it free from Audible from some promotion but I think it's worth it, or at least one Audible credit.

And I don't know about anyone else but Wil Wheaton is usually a hard pass for me. He did a bunch of books for Cory Doctorow and the combination of poor writing and narration kind of burned me out on hearing him. Though I just saw on his wiki that he did the last few Amber books and that's a series I'm about to start. Hmm.

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 9:18 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I listen to audible.com a lot. The Dune series is the best I've heard, but I'm fine with one guy reading as well. It's rare that the narrator is distracting.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 9:21 pm 
The Master

tried once and couldn’t do it

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 9:45 pm 
Production Police

bodysnatcher wrote:

BurtReynolds wrote:
I listen to audible.com a lot. The Dune series is the best I've heard, but I'm fine with one guy reading as well. It's rare that the narrator is distracting.

Guys, see if your library use the Overdrive app. If so, you can download tons of popular audiobooks for free from the app with your library's log-in info. Completely negated the need for Audible in my house. Currently digging Patton Oswalt's first book.

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 10:03 pm 
Future Drummer

I never thought to use Overdrive, thanks for the tip trag.

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 10:06 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Oh yeah, Overdrive. They just recently changed apps though to something called Libby, I think? Yup, just searched for it. It's "Libby by Overdrive" (how about that) and it works pretty well for me. The UI could use some work because I feel like I have to fumble around to find where books are downloaded but I blame that on lack of use. I'm sure if I used it more often it'd be easier.

My son's school have Overdrive on their iPads and he used it to read the newest Nightvale book. I haven't even had a chance to read that yet.

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 10:08 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

BurtReynolds wrote:

Guys, see if your library use the Overdrive app. If so, you can download tons of popular audiobooks for free from the app with your library's log-in info. Completely negated the need for Audible in my house. Currently digging Patton Oswalt's first book.

Sounds cool.

I also listen to a lot of public domain stuff on YouTube, but the readings can be pretty bad.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 10:38 pm 
Production Police

BurtReynolds wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

BurtReynolds wrote:

Sounds cool.

I also listen to a lot of public domain stuff on YouTube, but the readings can be pretty bad.

Ha, ditto. I go to sleep to a lot of Philip K Dick or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The Dick readings especially are pretty bogus.

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 11:21 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I actually have favorite voice actors. Scott Brick and Stefan Rudnicki are the shit!

http://scottbrick.net/audiobook_index

https://www.audible.com/search?searchNa ... n+Rudnicki

PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 11:24 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:

I get them almost exclusively from my library. I've paid for a few. Usually, I get a free trail at audible, then when I cancel and tell them it costs too much, they offer me 3 months (1 book per month) for half price. I usually do that b/c I can get a few that my library doesn't have for free.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 12:47 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

BurtReynolds wrote:

ah yes! ours does and i completely forgot about it.

how in the heck is there a queue to listen to a digital book??

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 12:54 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I did this a lot as a teenger--the library near our summer cottage had lots of audiobooks, and I remember renting a lot of Michael Crichton and James Bond books. With the kind of reader I am now, though, there's no way I could do it--I only want to read in my interior voice, basically, and at my own pace.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 1:15 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:
how in the heck is there a queue to listen to a digital book??

I remember being number 54 on a waiting list for 1 copy of Carrie Fischer's last book.

Your library pays a fee for X number of copies of books. Each copy can only be accessed by one patron at a time. It's ridiculous in a digital book world. It's supposed to drive people to buy the book, so they don't have to wait to read it. I think it actually drives piracy.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 4:16 pm 
Future Drummer

pretty sure im going to start listening to bill gass read The Tunnel on my commute to & from work

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment