The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alex Jones, Food Babe, AntiVax and other such Woo
PostPosted: Thu June 29, 2017 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
I've tired of John Oliver, but we can use as much pro-vaccination stuff out there as possible. Carries on the fine work in the entertainment realm as Penn and Teller did, who I'm sure would tear the vaccine delayers up if they were still doing their show.
I wonder... assume a neutral position for minute and follow me down another rabbit hole. We know that a range of health issues are caused by inflammation and overreactive immunological responses, why is it discounted that some children's immune systems have more destructive responses than others? I'm not arguing against vaccination or delaying vaccinations, it seems unscientific given the breadth of genetic diversity and gestation conditions to take an absolutist position here. I think the whole mercury preservatives thing can be discounted but that's not the only possibility, that's just the easy one to understand (blame corporations).
There are certainly a few people that may have a legitimate adverse reaction to vaccines. But that makes even more important for everyone else that doesn't to vaccinate, so that we can reserve our limited leeway under herd immunity for those few.

Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 12:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This has probably been posted somewhere in here already but

Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 4:49 pm 
AnalLog

Hilarious, but take it to the Alex Jones thread McP! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 2:42 pm 
The Master

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:23 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Watch this and then tell me there is a God

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2018 2:46 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Honestly, I can't comprehend what this is because it sounds like we heading to back to invisible forest spirits here:

https://qz.com/1184574/the-idea-that-everything-from-spoons-to-stones-are-conscious-is-gaining-academic-credibility/

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2018 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
Honestly, I can't comprehend what this is because it sounds like we heading to back to invisible forest spirits here:

https://qz.com/1184574/the-idea-that-everything-from-spoons-to-stones-are-conscious-is-gaining-academic-credibility/
As usual, Simpsons did it.

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2018 8:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

As usual, Simpsons did it.

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2018 1:52 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:

Isn't that the Pixar theory?

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2018 1:54 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Quote:
This sounds like easily-dismissible bunkum...

yup

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 6:00 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Not "Woo" so much, but unfounded fear of GMO: I bring you Nassim Nicholas Taleb. There could be fat tails and black swans and the like, but there's basically no historical data.

Does he believe in a precautionary principle in all cases?

PostPosted: Sat March 31, 2018 12:30 am 
Rank This Poster

"I don't think what happened here is a genuine calamity."

The InfoWarsing of America. What a bunch of sick fucks.

https://www.facebook.com/VICEselects/vi ... 565899235/

PostPosted: Sat March 31, 2018 12:43 am 
Rank This Poster

simple schoolboy wrote:
Not "Woo" so much, but unfounded fear of GMO: I bring you Nassim Nicholas Taleb. There could be fat tails and black swans and the like, but there's basically no historical data.

Fear of GMOs is very much woo.

There is ZERO data that proves GMOs are bad for you in any way AND they face WAY more testing.

PostPosted: Sat March 31, 2018 7:34 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

run2death wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

There is ZERO data that proves GMOs are bad for you in any way AND they face WAY more testing.

Regarding GMOs, at least for existing GMO crops the modifications, while maybe not fully understood are pretty limited. The GMO crops on the market are pre-CRISPR, and were probably just swapped from one pre-existing crop to another, kind of like the hybrids up until now.

Also, Mr. run2death, you must be familiar with the precautionary principle. Anti-GMO folks are not the only ones to sign on to this.

PostPosted: Sat March 31, 2018 11:36 am 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
run2death wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Regarding GMOs, at least for existing GMO crops the modifications, while maybe not fully understood are pretty limited. The GMO crops on the market are pre-CRISPR, and were probably just swapped from one pre-existing crop to another, kind of like the hybrids up until now.

Also, Mr. run2death, you must be familiar with the precautionary principle. Anti-GMO folks are not the only ones to sign on to this.

This is a very important point. Private work on genetic modification has gone elliptical in the post-CRISPR era and it's making things that are quite different than "golden rice". It will be far more difficult to assess safety when the next generation GMO food stuffs comes to market.

PostPosted: Sat March 31, 2018 2:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

simple schoolboy wrote:
run2death wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Except again, there's zero evidence that eating gnome edited foods is dangerous. The big NAS study delved into CRISPR extensively.

Are people using the precautionary principle or are people just been watching to much bad sci-fi and poorly researched food documentaries?

PostPosted: Sat March 31, 2018 2:19 pm 
Future Drummer

That is my new favorite autocorrect typo.

PostPosted: Sat March 31, 2018 2:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

"Selective sciencing" is a pet-peeve of mine. Either you believe in science and use it to guide your judgments or you don't.

People who use it to bolster their opinions and arguments on one subject (say global warming), then ignore it on another topic (say GMOs) are fucking infuriating to me.

PostPosted: Sat March 31, 2018 2:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

bart wrote:
That is my new favorite autocorrect typo.

Ugh!

GENOME.

PostPosted: Sat March 31, 2018 6:12 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
run2death wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Except again, there's zero evidence that eating gnome edited foods is dangerous. The big NAS study delved into CRISPR extensively.

Are people using the precautionary principle or are people just been watching to much bad sci-fi and poorly researched food documentaries?

It’s not CRISPR itself that is dangerous, its the “new” things that it can produce that should concern us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate