The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34933
Location: this field intentionally left blank
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I really don't think Kung Fury is making fun of anything. I firmly believe it is the very heart of passion and respect for genre that you're talking about, LV. To me, it's as genuine and real and passionate as Rambo or Rocky.

Hell no. I mean, I wrote a pretty long essay dissecting why that’s not true.

It sure seems to me, if you listen to the director, it is true. I'm probably going to take his word over yours on this one. No offense.

What a director says doesn’t affect what’s on screen. I’m not saying he doesn’t like genre movies. I’m saying he doesn’t understand them and his love for them is (likely unconsciously) ironic.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
I mean, I guess, if you're more focused on some of the more "genre bending" stuff in Kung Fury, which you've been very clear about disliking, then it makes a bit more sense to me. If that stuff overrides whatever true passion for the project the film maker had, then I can get what you're saying. I was trying to reconcile one point with the other. I got mixed up.

I'm at work and I'm listening to the interview between customers and I'm answering phone calls and all that stuff. I have to jump back and forth a bit in the interview, too. So my head is all over the place.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Also, film might be worse than it's ever been but a large part of that is that TV is better than it's ever been.

I don't think either of these statements is true at all

I don't agree that film is worse than it's ever been bu I do absolutely think TV is better than it's ever been. But I'm also using the decade to define that. I think 2008-2018 has absolutely been the greatest era of TV, so far. And if you want to expand that back to 2002, it only intensifies.

But, you know, subjectivity and all of that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Trag, I agree that once the art is made, the artist loses control. Do you think intention matters at all at that point?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34933
Location: this field intentionally left blank
I “feel the love” from Kung Fury the same way I feel the love from Alamo Drafthouse when a hipster manager gives a a great, old movie a worthless intro loaded with tongue-in-cheek jokes, contemporary references/disclaimers, and broad, meaningless platitudes, and then the snarky audience laughs their way through the (not comedic) movie.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
I think I can probably guess the answer to this, but, Verm, have you seen Van Sant's "Elephant?" And what are your thoughts on that film as they regard your points about Linklater and "Boyhood?"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LAURIE METCALF IS PHENOMENAL IN "LADYBIRD" ALSO, TRAG GODDAMN


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
The patience and stillness that you're talking about, LV, are elements that I adored about "A Ghost Story." I know you're not a fan of that director but that film has those qualities in spades and it's hypnotic and moving (at least to me). Obviously, I also love the way David Lynch takes his time, too. It's something I really do wish we had more of in cinema in general.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34933
Location: this field intentionally left blank
durdencommatyler wrote:
I think I can probably guess the answer to this, but, Verm, have you seen Van Sant's "Elephant?" And what are your thoughts on that film as they regard your points about Linklater and "Boyhood?"

I’ve seen it. It’s okay. Alan Clarke’s Elephant is better. And Gerry is the movie that matters from that Van Sant period.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I think I can probably guess the answer to this, but, Verm, have you seen Van Sant's "Elephant?" And what are your thoughts on that film as they regard your points about Linklater and "Boyhood?"

I’ve seen it. It’s okay. Alan Clarke’s Elephant is better. And Gerry is the movie that matters from that Van Sant period.

Do you think Van Sant was able to capture the stillness and quiet and magnitude of small moments more effectively than Linklater did in "Boyhood," though?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 13786
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
I dont think Transformers is a good example of an artist making a very good crafted movie and giving it all...They basically use a lot of the same shots in their movies. The first one might be alright maybe? Just too fucking long.
I like Bay well enough, but that franchise is the worst thing he did by far.

I had a lot of issues with the series at first, but now I think it’s one of his greatest accomplishments. His action really can’t be viewed as “action” in the McTiernan sense, IMO; it’s avant-garde poetry. No one cuts and frames like he does. The combat sequences in 13 Hours are some transcendent, ethereal shit.


I havent seen 13 hours yet, but from what i saw it could be his masterpiece.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Death and the Maiden is so fucking good. Really amazing plays don't always make amazing films. This is probably the gold standard, though. When you start with brilliant writing, it should make your job that much easier. At least Polanski gets that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 13786
durdencommatyler wrote:
There is so much content. There are so many choices. And I think that's a good thing.


ugh joe.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
This was great fun. Thank you LV and trag for taking the time to do this. This series is one of the true highlights of RM. I'm so thrilled that it's living on. Great talk and I hope we can continue the discussion here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 13786
durdencommatyler wrote:
Also, film might be worse than it's ever been but a large part of that is that TV is better than it's ever been.


Yeah, dont agree.
There are a lot of good movies lately. Film is in a good place and i dont think tv is that great. Besides thats always going to be tv...a serialized story.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34933
Location: this field intentionally left blank
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I think I can probably guess the answer to this, but, Verm, have you seen Van Sant's "Elephant?" And what are your thoughts on that film as they regard your points about Linklater and "Boyhood?"

I’ve seen it. It’s okay. Alan Clarke’s Elephant is better. And Gerry is the movie that matters from that Van Sant period.

Do you think Van Sant was able to capture the stillness and quiet and magnitude of small moments more effectively than Linklater did in "Boyhood," though?

Oh, without question. Van Sant is a much better director than Linklater.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
There is so much content. There are so many choices. And I think that's a good thing.


ugh joe.

Ultimately, I do think it's a good thing. Even when it means more shitty content. So far, I think the biggest issue with so many choices -- apart from access (some people have Hulu, some don't, etc. -- is that it creates sides. But this culture seems to be veering that way regardless. I can't pin that on content choices alone.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I think I can probably guess the answer to this, but, Verm, have you seen Van Sant's "Elephant?" And what are your thoughts on that film as they regard your points about Linklater and "Boyhood?"

I’ve seen it. It’s okay. Alan Clarke’s Elephant is better. And Gerry is the movie that matters from that Van Sant period.

Do you think Van Sant was able to capture the stillness and quiet and magnitude of small moments more effectively than Linklater did in "Boyhood," though?

Oh, without question. Van Sant is a much better director than Linklater.

Cool. I'm happy to hear you say that. Elephant particularly jumped to mind during that part of your talk with trag. I think the way he handles those kids looking at grass and the light through trees and wind is powerful as fuck. Not that Elephant is a brilliant film or anything, just the way he handles exactly what you were talking about missing in Boyhood.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 13786
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
There is so much content. There are so many choices. And I think that's a good thing.


ugh joe.

Ultimately, I do think it's a good thing. Even when it means more shitty content. So far, I think the biggest issue with so many choices -- apart from access (some people have Hulu, some don't, etc. -- is that it creates sides. But this culture seems to be veering that way regardless. I can't pin that on content choices alone.


I think is actually destroying the way people approach to culture too.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharing Cinematic Values #6: tragabigzanda
PostPosted: Fri March 30, 2018 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63654
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
There is so much content. There are so many choices. And I think that's a good thing.


ugh joe.

Ultimately, I do think it's a good thing. Even when it means more shitty content. So far, I think the biggest issue with so many choices -- apart from access (some people have Hulu, some don't, etc. -- is that it creates sides. But this culture seems to be veering that way regardless. I can't pin that on content choices alone.


I think is actually destroying the way people approach to culture too.

How so?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri June 22, 2018 7:02 pm