The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Happened?
PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 7:59 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I remember the person that leaked those two to us apparently had a disc with like 11 songs on it. I'd paypal him like ten bucks if he could send me the rest of the songs.

Some were pretty good. 10 Billion Years is pretty cool. I like the vibe Stone brought with Of The Girl, and Thin Air. 10BY is a continuation of that vibe, but still different. It's really good, I like alt country PJ, which is part of what I like about SBM.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 7:59 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
It's been baffling to hear a truly uninspired song from them because I guess I wasn't willing to consider maybe they're not trying to do something inspired or delve into the depths of their own souls as I used to imagine they did, which they might have done in their good days..

Maybe they're out of ideas. Or maybe they just aren't inspired.

But let's not talk like everything Pearl Jam put out in the 90's was fucking profound. "Animal" is a guy counting to five and repeating the chorus over and over. He says the word "Spin" like 50 times in less than three minutes in Spin The Black Circle. So it's fine if you think Can't Deny Me sucks, cause it kinda does (I sorta like the chorus I have to admit), but spare me the "delve in the depth of their own souls" crap. It's just a rock band.

There was actual passion in Animal and Spin the Black Circle. You could feel they really meant it, and it meant something to the audience.

But who are you to say there isn't actual passion behind Can't Deny Me? What makes you think there's no passion behind it? Because it's simple? Because it sucks? Just judging by the vocal (as horrible as it may sound at times), he sounds pretty passionate about it all to me.

The song doesn't go anywhere. It's not about 'who I am to say' it's about what the song tells you. Matt plays another boring 4/4 beat any basic drummer could've played, Ed's melody is retarded and his lyrics are lame, and his voice is so grating you have to wonder why nobody bothers to tell him, and the guitars are more basic power chords. I know there's no passion because they don't care to make it more interesting. They thought this was good enough to release to all their fans after a 5-year hiatus. Well, it's not good enough. They are better than this.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:00 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Anders wrote:
What is 2x4?

An instrumental on the heavy / power chord side. I like it though.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

darth_vedder wrote:
Anders wrote:
What is 2x4?

Me too. That's my favorite of those instrumentals on that leaked group. I think it would actually work really well as a concert intro.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:02 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PHATJ wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I remember the person that leaked those two to us apparently had a disc with like 11 songs on it. I'd paypal him like ten bucks if he could send me the rest of the songs.

bodysnatcher wrote:

2×4 - we’ve heard this
Of The Earth - and this
Cold Confession - and this
World Wide Suicide - and this
Marker - and this
Armor - don’t know what this is (maybe Army Reserve, total guess)
Crapshoot Rapture - this is Comatose
Let It Ride - heard this
The Bigger The Wave - heard this

We got the 10 Billion Years/Rearranged Furniture/Rearranged other stuff leak. Was there supposed to be other songs too?

Yeah I'm not sure. Just know that there were 11 songs on the disc he had that included CC and LiR. It could be those, I guess.

I’d hope there’s more because I’d love to hear them, but my guess is that we’ve gotten most if not all of them with that leak. Again, total guess, and I hope I’m wrong.

S/T actually had a pretty big song list in the studio. In addition to the list quoted above, there was a second (out of three total) studio session...

Quote:
March/May 2005 Studio X – Seattle, WA

Her
Rusted Nails
Driving Your Paint Home
Basic Human

Parachutes
Comatose
Navy Bean
Harher’s Revenge
Had Enough
Let It Ride
Winter
Forest Is My Church
It’s Too Late

Severed Hand
Keep Up
Last Day
The Forest
Hand Dealt
Frost Bitten
Transcendent Mental Clarity
Tripping
Postcards
Rise And Fall
Statement
Simple

Inside Job
Big Wave
Open Door
10 Billions Years
Rearranged Furniture (Instrumental)
Rearranged Priorities (Instrumental)
Lucky 13 (Instrumental)
Breeze in D (Instrumental)

a third S/T session included...

Quote:
November 2005/January 2006 Studio X – Seattle, WA

Gone (Vedder solo)
Gone (Full band)
Life Wasted
Wasted Reprise
World Wide Suicide
Marker In The Sand
Come Back
Unemployable
Army Reserve

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:05 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:06 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
It's been baffling to hear a truly uninspired song from them because I guess I wasn't willing to consider maybe they're not trying to do something inspired or delve into the depths of their own souls as I used to imagine they did, which they might have done in their good days..

But let's not talk like everything Pearl Jam put out in the 90's was fucking profound. "Animal" is a guy counting to five and repeating the chorus over and over. He says the word "Spin" like 50 times in less than three minutes in Spin The Black Circle. So it's fine if you think Can't Deny Me sucks, cause it kinda does (I sorta like the chorus I have to admit), but spare me the "delve in the depth of their own souls" crap. It's just a rock band.

There was actual passion in Animal and Spin the Black Circle. You could feel they really meant it, and it meant something to the audience.

Also, I don't buy the 'out of ideas' or 'uninspired' claims because I know with the talents of this band, if they sat down and worked on intricate guitar parts, even if the chords were somewhat boring, interesting drum patterns, calm Ed down and come up with some unretarded lyrics, it would be pretty good.

Oh you want "Unretarded lyrics." I get it now.

I mean, come on, you can't critique a songwriter and suggest you'd prefer "Unretarded lyrics."

You're right, not a fair critique. I, personally, find the lyrics extremely boring and it seems to me he's pandering to the 'Left of the Day' in a rather unintelligent and uninteresting way.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:07 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I'm listening to Rearranged Priorities right now, it's another good one.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:08 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

bodysnatcher wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

bodysnatcher wrote:

2×4 - we’ve heard this
Of The Earth - and this
Cold Confession - and this
World Wide Suicide - and this
Marker - and this
Armor - don’t know what this is (maybe Army Reserve, total guess)
Crapshoot Rapture - this is Comatose
Let It Ride - heard this
The Bigger The Wave - heard this

We got the 10 Billion Years/Rearranged Furniture/Rearranged other stuff leak. Was there supposed to be other songs too?

Yeah I'm not sure. Just know that there were 11 songs on the disc he had that included CC and LiR. It could be those, I guess.

I’d hope there’s more because I’d love to hear them, but my guess is that we’ve gotten most if not all of them with that leak. Again, total guess, and I hope I’m wrong.

S/T actually had a pretty big song list in the studio. In addition to the list quoted above, there was a second (out of three total) studio session...

Quote:
March/May 2005 Studio X – Seattle, WA

Her
Rusted Nails
Driving Your Paint Home
Basic Human

Parachutes
Comatose
Navy Bean
Harher’s Revenge
Had Enough
Let It Ride
Winter
Forest Is My Church
It’s Too Late

Severed Hand
Keep Up
Last Day
The Forest
Hand Dealt
Frost Bitten
Transcendent Mental Clarity
Tripping
Postcards
Rise And Fall
Statement
Simple

Inside Job
Big Wave
Open Door
10 Billions Years
Rearranged Furniture (Instrumental)
Rearranged Priorities (Instrumental)
Lucky 13 (Instrumental)
Breeze in D (Instrumental)

a third S/T session included...

Quote:
November 2005/January 2006 Studio X – Seattle, WA

Gone (Vedder solo)
Gone (Full band)
Life Wasted
Wasted Reprise
World Wide Suicide
Marker In The Sand
Come Back
Unemployable
Army Reserve

Wow, that is a lot.

This is the list from the leak:
1. 2X4 (Fast/Instrumental) – 4:24
2. The Only Cloud In The Sky (Instrumental) – 4:49
3. Life Wasted (Vocal Rough Mix) – 4:13
4. Severed Hand (Vocal Rough Mix) – 4:12
5. The Bigger The Wave (Vocal Rough Mix) – 3:01
6. Open Door (Vocal Rough Mix) – 6:25
7. Rearranged Furniture (Instrumental) – 4:04
8. Rearranged Priorities (Instrumental) – 4:19
9. 10 Billion Years (Vocal Rough Mix) – 6:00
10. Lucky 13 (Litho Demo) – 4:29
11. Breeze In D (Instrumental) – 5:10

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:09 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

darth_vedder wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Some were pretty good. 10 Billion Years is pretty cool. I like the vibe Stone brought with Of The Girl, and Thin Air. 10BY is a continuation of that vibe, but still different. It's really good, I like alt country PJ, which is part of what I like about SBM.

I love 10BY. Best Stone on Vox song BY FAR.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

part of me wants to hear Navy Bean so badly. the other part of me wants it to forever go unheard, held higher and higher in legend.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:11 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Also, I don't buy the 'out of ideas' or 'uninspired' claims because I know with the talents of this band, if they sat down and worked on intricate guitar parts, even if the chords were somewhat boring, interesting drum patterns, calm Ed down and come up with some unretarded lyrics, it would be pretty good.

I mean, come on, you can't critique a songwriter and suggest you'd prefer "Unretarded lyrics."

You're right, not a fair critique. I, personally, find the lyrics extremely boring and it seems to me he's pandering to the 'Left of the Day' in a rather unintelligent and uninteresting way.

Fair enough. And I gotta give you a little credit for being reasonable in your message board debate.

I dunno, maybe I've just gone through all of this criticizing of PJ's creativity already with The Fixer, which is a thousand times worse than Can't Deny Me, and is a complete embarrassment in every way. So for me, all I expect from new Pearl Jam albums anymore are four or five songs I like. So when this song dropped, I thought Eddie sounded horrible on the verses, and I liked the chorus (even though it's kinda cheesy). Nothing more and nothing less. And I've never been much of a lyric guy, but following Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, there's really no reason to expect good lyrics anymore anyway. "I come from a gene-e-ous, I am my father's son." Ugh.....

Last edited by Ledbetterman10 on Tue March 20, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:12 pm 
The Master

I need to listen to these S/T outtakes again.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:14 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I need to listen to these S/T outtakes again.

They're worth it.

10BY, 2x4, The Only Cloud In The Sky, Rearranged Priorities, and Rearranged Furniture all sound pretty good to me.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Fair enough. And I gotta give you a little credit for being reasonable in your message board debate.

I dunno, maybe I've just gone through all of this criticizing of PJ's creativity already with The Fixer, which is a thousand times worse than Can't Deny Me, and is a complete embarrassment in every way. So for me, all I expect from new Pearl Jam albums anymore are four or five songs I like. So when this song dropped, I thought Eddie sounded horrible on the verses, and I liked the chorus (even though it's kinda cheesy). Nothing more and nothing less. And I've never been much of a lyric guy, but following Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, there's really no reason to expect good lyrics anymore anyway. "I come from a gene-e-ous, I am my father's son." Ugh.....

maybe he's saying:

"I come from a genie
As I am my father's son"

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:22 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

maybe he's saying:

"I come from a genie
As I am my father's son"

Or it could be....

"I come from a genie, yes, I am my father's son."

Doesn't matter though. My version, your version, and Eddie' version of this line all suck. I like the guitars in the song though.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:25 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I get it. Harsh criticism of the band is new territory for me. I found a way to enjoy everything else when it came out. This Pay Attention to My Protest song just feels like the last straw. I had so much respect for the band as a kid and it's hard to shake it off. I'm the same with the Miami Dolphins. There's something wrong with my loyalty.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ledbetterman10 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I get it. Harsh criticism of the band is new territory for me. I found a way to enjoy everything else when it came out. This Pay Attention to My Protest song just feels like the last straw. I had so much respect for the band as a kid and it's hard to shake it off. I'm the same with the Miami Dolphins. There's something wrong with my loyalty.

Darius Rucker, is that you?

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:32 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:
Darius Rucker, is that you?

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue March 20, 2018 8:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

EJ wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Anders wrote:
What is 2x4?

Me too. That's my favorite of those instrumentals on that leaked group. I think it would actually work really well as a concert intro.

Sounds good. I have to find it somehow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam