The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 8:19 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
2000 tour was probably the last tour where each show felt like an event and something momentous was taking place. There was a very different and deeply felt and profound atmosphere before and during each show.

The following tours seemed to be the evolution into the party band. No bad thing. Change up is good and prevents it all becoming stale but something special was lost in that transition.

This is weird to me too. From what I've heard the 2003 shows were way more unique than the 2000 shows.

In fact what's standing out to me is how the 2000 shows are so UN unique.

I don't know where the posts are now but I remember some crazy opening runs of songs in the 2003 shows, where the 2000 shows always seemed to start pretty much the exact same way to the point I got sick of Corduroy and Animal completely how they always popped up in the exact same spot.

But man Im switching now to listening to Benaroya 2003 and its SO GOOD

PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 8:32 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

mikejasond wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
2000 tour was probably the last tour where each show felt like an event and something momentous was taking place. There was a very different and deeply felt and profound atmosphere before and during each show.

The following tours seemed to be the evolution into the party band. No bad thing. Change up is good and prevents it all becoming stale but something special was lost in that transition.

This is weird to me too. From what I've heard the 2003 shows were way more unique than the 2000 shows.

In fact what's standing out to me is how the 2000 shows are so UN unique.

I don't know where the posts are now but I remember some crazy opening runs of songs in the 2003 shows, where the 2000 shows always seemed to start pretty much the exact same way to the point I got sick of Corduroy and Animal completely how they always popped up in the exact same spot.

But man Im switching now to listening to Benaroya 2003 and its SO GOOD

I’m more talking about being there on the night in person. Did shows in 96, 2000 and 2003 and it’s a marked change.

I’m not really referring to any bootleg cos it’s almist impossible to truly capture the vibe of a gig on a bootleg (and I often wonder do people’s complaints about the mixing and production affect their view ) but it definitely feels like a band at different stages of their career and it being apparent over the times I’ve seen them. Less so the last two tours I’ve seen for BS and LB

PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 8:33 pm 
Future Drummer

Leatherhead wrote:
No feeling, just banging out notes.

I take that and raise you

So much more warm and beautiful....its haunting.

PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 8:41 pm 
Poster of the Year

Strat wrote:
You're a weird guy, ace.

lol

PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 8:58 pm 
Rank This Poster

I definitely agree with dime in the sense that those 2000 shows in particular really feel like they can take you on a bit of a journey into a lot of different kinds of places. You have the kind of 'typical' PJ start, with the moody opener followed by a few up-tempo tracks, and then you have the Binaural stuff interspersed with darker, sometimes spacier takes on their older stuff.

I still think that Insignificance/Rearviewmirror combo they used to end sets with was excellent, but I remember something like Chicago '00 (my favorite show I've heard from the band), which ends with Black/Parting Ways. It's hard to see that as a set ending in any other year, that kind of feel. But in the encore by the end, you usually get the feeling they've loosened up and it feels a bit more like a party.

2003 also had this kind of diversity of feeling throughout the course of a show, and those are the years I find myself reaching for more often; maybe that approach has something to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 5:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Listened to Tampa from this tour yesterday / today; damn fine show.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 3:05 am 
tl;dr

darth_vedder wrote:

Are you now sold on the brilliance of "Evacuation?"

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 4:30 am 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Was he not ??

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 3:33 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Strat wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Was he not ??

Well, I've had a complicated relationship with Evacuation over the years. I used to hate it. Over time, I grew to appreciate it musically, but I've never quite been able to latch onto the song as I have with a whole lotta others from their catalog.

re: Live versions, I only have 6 of them, one being that disaster from DC.

The others are:
Katowice 2, 2000
WPB 2, 2000
Jones Beach 3, 2000
Seattle 2, 2000

I now have Tampa, 2000, and after one proper listen, I'm pretty confident it's the best of the lot above, probably followed by either Katowice or Seattle. At any rate, KD was basically seeing if I'm coming around to the song now that I have a really good live version of it.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 3:36 pm 
A Return To Form

darth_vedder wrote:
Strat wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Was he not ??

Well, I've had a complicated relationship with Evacuation over the years. I used to hate it. Over time, I grew to appreciate it musically, but I've never quite been able to latch onto the song as I have with a whole lotta others from their catalog.

re: Live versions, I only have 6 of them, one being that disaster from DC.

The others are:
Katowice 2, 2000
WPB 2, 2000
Jones Beach 3, 2000
Seattle 2, 2000

I now have Tampa, 2000, and after one proper listen, I'm pretty confident it's the best of the lot above, probably followed by either Katowice or Seattle. At any rate, KD was basically seeing if I'm coming around to the song now that I have a really good live version of it.

Definitely check out the version from Albuquerque 2000. Ed sounds wonderfully raspy and on the edge, and the band absolutely tears it up.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 2:32 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Will do.

It's a solid song and I would be thrilled if PJ went down the road of Evacuation and Cropduster again. Both songs I've struggled with (spenno pointed me towards a solid version of Cropduster from his 2011 Canadian tour compilation), but both songs I appreciate. I like how both are "off" musically for PJ. By that, different time signatures and whatnot. I feel the band is pushing themselves a bit beyond their normal scope, and I really like that. I just happen to like a lot of other songs on Binaural and Riot Act better (I'm a sucker for Rival and Help Help).

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 3:56 pm 
The Master

darth_vedder wrote:
Will do.

It's a solid song and I would be thrilled if PJ went down the road of Evacuation and Cropduster again. Both songs I've struggled with (spenno pointed me towards a solid version of Cropduster from his 2011 Canadian tour compilation), but both songs I appreciate. I like how both are "off" musically for PJ. By that, different time signatures and whatnot. I feel the band is pushing themselves a bit beyond their normal scope, and I really like that. I just happen to like a lot of other songs on Binaural and Riot Act better (I'm a sucker for Rival and Help Help).

Uh, yeah.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 5:46 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Monkey_Driven wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
(I'm a sucker for Rival and Help Help)

Uh, yeah.

They really are great, aren't they? It's getting to be that time of year I like some Binaural and Riot Act. Great albums, great tours.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 9:05 pm 
A Return To Form

darth_vedder wrote:
Will do.

Both great examples of MC's angular riffage and hard-shift rhythm. In particular, I think Cropduster is one of the most underrated songs in their catalog. It will be reeeeeeal interesting to see if they allow themselves to try weirdish stuff like this again or will that once-familiar impulse be subsumed by Ed's ongoing embrace of a Springsteen-ish "populist American rock icon" status, i.e., more songs like Sirens, Just Breathe and Future Days.

Eddie Cheddar.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 2:12 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Watched some songs from Touring Band after a long time, gosh i love that dvd. I was kinda let down when it came out, but its really good. That Band compilation is beautiful.
And Oceans is the best PJ video.

PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 3:43 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Just listening to Saratoga from the 2000 tour which was an excellent show. My gripe with this tour has always been that never before or after did they just not really stretch the songs out and let them breathe live. Almost completely stuck to album versions with little to no variation - at least in the US. There are exceptions but that just seemed like the rule.

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 5:08 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

liebzz wrote:
Just listening to Saratoga from the 2000 tour which was an excellent show. My gripe with this tour has always been that never before or after did they just not really stretch the songs out and let them breathe live. Almost completely stuck to album versions with little to no variation - at least in the US. There are exceptions but that just seemed like the rule.

Porch was kinda meh this tour. However, some of the best RVMs came from when Sonic Youth was opening for them. They got really wild (noisy) on some of those mid section jams.

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 5:17 pm 
Poster of the Year

darth_vedder wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Porch was kinda meh this tour. However, some of the best RVMs came from when Sonic Youth was opening for them. They got really wild (noisy) on some of those mid section jams.

Yeah the best RVMs of all time are from the first leg of the north american 2000 tour.

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 5:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Yeah the best RVMs of all time are from the first leg of the north american 2000 tour.

I forget which one, but one of the Jones Beach shows has an incredible RVM. I think it's the one with a bunch of No Code songs.

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 6:17 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I love SY´s influence in that tour in pretty much every jam.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 30  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live