The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 67  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 11:10 pm 
Offline
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 17274
Location: FM radio
Holy cow, that Shenendoah is stunning.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 3:49 pm 
Offline
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 17274
Location: FM radio
WAITS/CORBIJN 77-11, A COLLECTORS EDITION LINEN SLIPCASE BOOK LIMITED TO 6,600 COPIES, IS SCHEDULED FOR A MAY 8TH RELEASE IN US AND EUROPE BY RENOWNED GERMAN PUBLISHER SCHIRMER-MOSEL. THE COFFEE TABLE ART BOOK NOT ONLY FEATURES OVER 200 PAGES OF WAITS PORTRAITS TAKEN BY CORBIJN OVER FOUR DECADES, BUT ALSO INCLUDES OVER 50 PAGES OF THE FIRST PUBLISHED COLLECTION OF MUSINGS AND PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN BY WAITS HIMSELF.
http://www.kingsroadmerch.com/tom%2Dwaits/view/?id=4014
Anyone want a $200 book?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 24428
The Argonaut wrote:
WAITS/CORBIJN 77-11, A COLLECTORS EDITION LINEN SLIPCASE BOOK LIMITED TO 6,600 COPIES, IS SCHEDULED FOR A MAY 8TH RELEASE IN US AND EUROPE BY RENOWNED GERMAN PUBLISHER SCHIRMER-MOSEL. THE COFFEE TABLE ART BOOK NOT ONLY FEATURES OVER 200 PAGES OF WAITS PORTRAITS TAKEN BY CORBIJN OVER FOUR DECADES, BUT ALSO INCLUDES OVER 50 PAGES OF THE FIRST PUBLISHED COLLECTION OF MUSINGS AND PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN BY WAITS HIMSELF.
http://www.kingsroadmerch.com/tom%2Dwaits/view/?id=4014
Anyone want a $200 book?


Seems nice, but way too expensive.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 40960
Location: Buenos Aires
McParadigm wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
His guitar playing on Rain Dogs means nothing to me, and I hate his backing vocals on "Blind Love."

The more Ribot the better as far as I'm concerned.


I was talking about the album itself and its roots to Exile. If Anywhere I Lay My Head means nothing to you then shame on you.


It's almost impossible to exaggerate the impact of the Stones on post 1980-Waits. They're up there with people like Howlin' Wolf and James Brown in terms of how distinctly their impact shines through. It says enough that, when the record company asked Tom if there were any musicians he'd really like to see play on his new record (Rain Dogs), he immediately shot back "Keith Richards."

Ribot might well be my favorite guitar player of all time, but Tom's work with Keith has a distinctive slurring, bleary-eyed groan to it that is unique to those pieces and which I'm glad is a part of his palate.

McParadigm: accomplishing the impossible.

_________________
official winner of the Democracy Deferred: End of 2020 Election Prediction thread


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:42 pm
Posts: 693
Location: Denver
theplatypus wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
His guitar playing on Rain Dogs means nothing to me, and I hate his backing vocals on "Blind Love."

The more Ribot the better as far as I'm concerned.


I was talking about the album itself and its roots to Exile. If Anywhere I Lay My Head means nothing to you then shame on you.


It's almost impossible to exaggerate the impact of the Stones on post 1980-Waits. They're up there with people like Howlin' Wolf and James Brown in terms of how distinctly their impact shines through. It says enough that, when the record company asked Tom if there were any musicians he'd really like to see play on his new record (Rain Dogs), he immediately shot back "Keith Richards."

Ribot might well be my favorite guitar player of all time, but Tom's work with Keith has a distinctive slurring, bleary-eyed groan to it that is unique to those pieces and which I'm glad is a part of his palate.

McParadigm: accomplishing the impossible.


Keith Richards & Mick Jagger wrote all of Tom Waits's music & lyrics for him to record post 1980.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86841
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
VinylGuy wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
WAITS/CORBIJN 77-11, A COLLECTORS EDITION LINEN SLIPCASE BOOK LIMITED TO 6,600 COPIES, IS SCHEDULED FOR A MAY 8TH RELEASE IN US AND EUROPE BY RENOWNED GERMAN PUBLISHER SCHIRMER-MOSEL. THE COFFEE TABLE ART BOOK NOT ONLY FEATURES OVER 200 PAGES OF WAITS PORTRAITS TAKEN BY CORBIJN OVER FOUR DECADES, BUT ALSO INCLUDES OVER 50 PAGES OF THE FIRST PUBLISHED COLLECTION OF MUSINGS AND PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN BY WAITS HIMSELF.
http://www.kingsroadmerch.com/tom%2Dwaits/view/?id=4014
Anyone want a $200 book?


Seems nice, but way too expensive.

My thoughts exactly.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 24428
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
WAITS/CORBIJN 77-11, A COLLECTORS EDITION LINEN SLIPCASE BOOK LIMITED TO 6,600 COPIES, IS SCHEDULED FOR A MAY 8TH RELEASE IN US AND EUROPE BY RENOWNED GERMAN PUBLISHER SCHIRMER-MOSEL. THE COFFEE TABLE ART BOOK NOT ONLY FEATURES OVER 200 PAGES OF WAITS PORTRAITS TAKEN BY CORBIJN OVER FOUR DECADES, BUT ALSO INCLUDES OVER 50 PAGES OF THE FIRST PUBLISHED COLLECTION OF MUSINGS AND PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN BY WAITS HIMSELF.
http://www.kingsroadmerch.com/tom%2Dwaits/view/?id=4014
Anyone want a $200 book?


Seems nice, but way too expensive.

My thoughts exactly.


I like you. Dont forget that.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86841
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
WAITS/CORBIJN 77-11, A COLLECTORS EDITION LINEN SLIPCASE BOOK LIMITED TO 6,600 COPIES, IS SCHEDULED FOR A MAY 8TH RELEASE IN US AND EUROPE BY RENOWNED GERMAN PUBLISHER SCHIRMER-MOSEL. THE COFFEE TABLE ART BOOK NOT ONLY FEATURES OVER 200 PAGES OF WAITS PORTRAITS TAKEN BY CORBIJN OVER FOUR DECADES, BUT ALSO INCLUDES OVER 50 PAGES OF THE FIRST PUBLISHED COLLECTION OF MUSINGS AND PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN BY WAITS HIMSELF.
http://www.kingsroadmerch.com/tom%2Dwaits/view/?id=4014
Anyone want a $200 book?


Seems nice, but way too expensive.

My thoughts exactly.


I like you. Dont forget that.

8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 3:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44860
Location: Mountains
Is Blood Money the most abrasively beautiful records ever?

Possibly.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86841
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Strat wrote:
Is Blood Money the most abrasively beautiful records ever?

Possibly.

If it isn't, it's only because of Bone Machine. But, yeah, it is.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:42 pm
Posts: 693
Location: Denver
I fuckin' love Tom Waits.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86841
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
He's just so fucking good. It's almost stupid.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44860
Location: Mountains
Image


:luv:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86841
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Don't you just LOVE that thing on vinyl?! It sounds like he's in the fucking room singing to you!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44860
Location: Mountains
He is, Dct....

He is....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86841
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
I'm gonna listen to Blood Money tonight while I write.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2013 4:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27087
Location: Illinois
$200 for this new coffee table book of his? I'll pass...

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2013 5:07 am 
Offline
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 17274
Location: FM radio
Does anyone remember that website with Tom Waits lyrics and lots of footnotes to explain what all the references mean? something like the lyrics database? Is that website gone?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2013 5:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 40960
Location: Buenos Aires
The Argonaut wrote:
Does anyone remember that website with Tom Waits lyrics and lots of footnotes to explain what all the references mean? something like the lyrics database? Is that website gone?

It was called the Tom Waits library. The good version of it closed. It's been replaced by this piece of shit: http://www.tomwaitslibrary.com/

_________________
official winner of the Democracy Deferred: End of 2020 Election Prediction thread


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2013 5:40 am 
Offline
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 17274
Location: FM radio
theplatypus wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
Does anyone remember that website with Tom Waits lyrics and lots of footnotes to explain what all the references mean? something like the lyrics database? Is that website gone?

It was called the Tom Waits library. The good version of it closed. It's been replaced by this piece of shit: http://www.tomwaitslibrary.com/

That was it, yeah. What the hell happened? The old site was amazing.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 67  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri March 05, 2021 10:51 am