The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813, 814 ... 2032  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 11:57 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Good Time.

Yeah, well...not my coup of tea here. I like the overall aesthetics, framing and the frantic pace, but the script is garbage.
A letdown.

PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 4:54 am 
The Master

Loved, loved, loved Murder on the Orient Express. Beautifully atmospheric, and holy shit, I have never noticed how great of an actor Kenneth Branagh is before. He is AMAZING in this. I have seen other adaptations of this story before, but this blew those away, and a lot of it is because of how he brings Poirot to life.

I really like this article about some of the technical aspects of the film: http://www.studiodaily.com/2017/11/hari ... t-express/

I think the most important thing mentioned is this:

Quote:
The 65mm format worked in concert with film grammar that featured fewer cuts. Zambarloukos estimates the film has an average of 150 edits per reel, a fraction of what’s considered normal in current cinema.

You can really feel this in the way the film breathes; it's like it's ripped from another era. It's still, patient, and controlled - much like Poirot himself. I found it very refreshing. What a wonderful movie.

PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 5:30 am 
Mind Your Tanners

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Loved, loved, loved Murder on the Orient Express. Beautifully atmospheric, and holy shit, I have never noticed how great of an actor Kenneth Branagh is before. He is AMAZING in this. I have seen other adaptations of this story before, but this blew those away, and a lot of it is because of how he brings Poirot to life.

I really like this article about some of the technical aspects of the film: http://www.studiodaily.com/2017/11/hari ... t-express/

Quote:
The 65mm format worked in concert with film grammar that featured fewer cuts. Zambarloukos estimates the film has an average of 150 edits per reel, a fraction of what’s considered normal in current cinema.

You can really feel this in the way the film breathes; it's like it's ripped from another era. It's still, patient, and controlled - much like Poirot himself. I found it very refreshing. What a wonderful movie.

Loved the visuals and most of the film. Didn't like the ending

PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 5:33 am 
The Master

Rangi Guy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Quote:

Really?! I thought the ending was beautiful. It got me choked up. I though Branagh’s take had a totally different tone and meaning than, say, Lumet’s version. It’s an interesting contrast.

PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 5:35 am 
Mind Your Tanners

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Quote:

Really?! I thought the ending was beautiful. It got me choked up. I though Branagh’s take had a totally different tone and meaning than, say, Lumet’s version. It’s an interesting contrast.

I just thought that the ending was a bit 'Meh' - I am excited for the next installment though

PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 1:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

"The Science of Fasting"

I thought this was going to be about science and nutrition. I was wrong.

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 2:42 am 
Rank This Poster

I'm sure someone has already made this observation in here, but the score in "Dunkirk" is fucking ridiculously overbearing. All sense of drama and scale gets lost because it one fucking tense piece of music after another. Ugh!

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 2:45 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

..and to top it off, its a shitty movie

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 2:47 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
"The Science of Fisting"

I thought this was going to be about NFL Flag Protesting. Man, was I wrong.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 3:38 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Watched both Sin City movies tonigbt. The first one reallly is great, absolutely holds up. The second is pretty boring actually, totally forgettable, and just not good

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 3:42 am 
The Master

The Argonaut wrote:
Watched both Sin City movies tonigbt. The first one reallly is great, absolutely holds up. The second is pretty boring actually, totally forgettable, and just not good

i think i'd still dig the first...never had any desire to see the second

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 2:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

run2death wrote:
I'm sure someone has already made this observation in here, but the score in "Dunkirk" is fucking ridiculously overbearing. All sense of drama and scale gets lost because it one fucking tense piece of music after another. Ugh!
True story.
doug rr wrote:
..and to top it off, its a shitty movie

PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 11:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

Tammy and the T-Rex. What... the... fuck!

PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 11:14 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Florida project

Jesus this is heavy going

PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 11:52 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

run2death wrote:
Tammy and the T-Rex. What... the... fuck!

Classic cinema

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 11:53 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

i think i'd still dig the first...never had any desire to see the second

I still like the first one a lot. I walked out of the second out of sheer boredom

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 12:40 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Quote:

I really want to see this.

PostPosted: Sat March 03, 2018 8:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The Death of Stalin. Pretty damn good

PostPosted: Sun March 04, 2018 3:28 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Guys, I got 4 10 year olds sleeping over tonight and need a movie suggestion. Thinking of Goomies, Jaws, or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Any others?

PostPosted: Sun March 04, 2018 3:53 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Guys, I got 4 10 year olds sleeping over tonight and need a movie suggestion. Thinking of Goomies, Jaws, or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Any others?

Weekend at Bernie's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813, 814 ... 2032  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment