The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 1:40 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Hey so why do Sith call their side of the Force "the dark side"? I thought of this today while watching a scene from ROTS, but it could go for the OT too (i.e., Vader saying "If you only knew the power of the dark side"). Since to them this aspect of the Force is what gives them the power to dominate the galaxy, it's inherently good to them, so they should probably just refer to it as "the Force." Hitler didn't walk around saying, "I'm an evil motherfucker!" From his perspective, he was doing a good thing. In a perfect world, the phrase "the dark side" should only be used in the way Obi Wan uses it in Star Wars--as a warning and a way to distinguish it from the proper use of the force.

I also wouldn't mind if the phrase "light side" was stripped from canon as well.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 1:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Being dark isn't a bad thing in itself though.

"Thousands of years before the Clone Wars, the Jedi Order and the individuals who became the Sith were considered brothers in the Force. This unity fractured, however, during the period of time known as the Hundred-Year Darkness, when a rogue Jedi came to the understanding that the true power of the Force lay not through contemplation and passivity, and that only by tapping its dark side could its true potential be gained. The Jedi High Council at the time balked at this new direction and the fallen Jedi was outcast, but he eventually gained followers to his new order, which resulted in the formation of the Sith Order. As a result of the schism between the Jedi and the Sith, the Force came to be seen as divided between their two philosophies: the Jedi's selfless commitment to serving and defending came to be regarded as the light side of the Force while the Sith's use of emotion and violence became known as the dark side of the Force."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 3:34 pm 
Future Drummer

Anders wrote:

"Thousands of years before the Clone Wars, the Jedi Order and the individuals who became the Sith were considered brothers in the Force. This unity fractured, however, during the period of time known as the Hundred-Year Darkness, when a rogue Jedi came to the understanding that the true power of the Force lay not through contemplation and passivity, and that only by tapping its dark side could its true potential be gained. The Jedi High Council at the time balked at this new direction and the fallen Jedi was outcast, but he eventually gained followers to his new order, which resulted in the formation of the Sith Order. As a result of the schism between the Jedi and the Sith, the Force came to be seen as divided between their two philosophies: the Jedi's selfless commitment to serving and defending came to be regarded as the light side of the Force while the Sith's use of emotion and violence became known as the dark side of the Force."

I'd like to see a movie on THIS.

I'd say this about Sith, It's not as bad a movie as everyone says. The duel at the end is amazing. McGregor OWNS this film as Obi-wan. I remember being disappointed with Anakin not being in the Suit until the end, but it makes sense to me all these years later. The suit represents his complete loss of humanity that only comes back to him when he decides he doesn't want to see his son die. Yes, the whole broken heart death was stupid the NOOOOOOOOOOO is awful. But it had some great moments. The burning by the lava pit is still hard to watch.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 3:42 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Sith is a great movie.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:04 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Sith is a great movie.

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:05 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Sith has some great scenes.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:07 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Sith has some great scenes.

It certainly does.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:09 pm 

See I can’t say this without being attacked but as with TLJ when I’d say to people it’s better after a couple of viewings, with time the prequels and especially sith have had a renaissance and aren’t actually as bad as we think they are.
It’s not amazing but it’s better than good.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I love this movie.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:18 pm 

Of the three prequels I absolutely love it.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 7:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

lowlight79 wrote:
Anders wrote:

I'd say this about Sith, It's not as bad a movie as everyone says. The duel at the end is amazing. McGregor OWNS this film as Obi-wan. I remember being disappointed with Anakin not being in the Suit until the end, but it makes sense to me all these years later. The suit represents his complete loss of humanity that only comes back to him when he decides he doesn't want to see his son die. Yes, the whole broken heart death was stupid the NOOOOOOOOOOO is awful. But it had some great moments. The burning by the lava pit is still hard to watch.

The duel is one of my least favorite parts of the movie. It feels like the pod race all over again. Just long, boring, overly produced (choreographed), and the CGI is distracting.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 7:41 pm 
The Master

Definitely my least favorite of the original six.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 7:57 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Despite my problems with it / the prequels in general, I'll say this; The Clone Wars series made lemonade out of those lemons, and I now appreciate the ideas in the prequels more than I used to.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 8:39 pm 

darth_vedder wrote:
Despite my problems with it / the prequels in general, I'll say this; The Clone Wars series made lemonade out of those lemons, and I now appreciate the ideas in the prequels more than I used to.

I’m with you on that. I think I prefer the series the the prequels in some ways.
But clone wars brings the sequels to life in many different ways.
Primarily it makes Anakin likeable and understandable

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 8:41 pm 
The Master

darth_vedder wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
Anders wrote:

The duel is one of my least favorite parts of the movie. It feels like the pod race all over again. Just long, boring, overly produced (choreographed), and the CGI is distracting.

Same. I remember looking forward to it for years and then being really disappointed. The Order 66 montage is much better.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 8:51 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

You love attack of the clones right?

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 8:57 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Oh definitely not, but I like things about it. It has some great set-pieces.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 8:58 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Oh definitely not, but I like things about it. It has some great set-pieces.

Kamino is so damn cool.

PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 3:42 am 
RM Elitist

dimejinky99 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

I’m with you on that. I think I prefer the series the the prequels in some ways.
But clone wars brings the sequels to life in many different ways.
Primarily it makes Anakin likeable and understandable

This touches on a point ive made before, and one of the weirder things I noticed when I introduced my kids to Star Wars.

Sure the first time through we watched it in release order, but as they got older and started to actually understand the story...

To all of us, Darth Vader used to be a good guy.

to kids now? Anakin Skywalker became a bad guy.

PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 3:58 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

dimejinky99 wrote:
See I can’t say this without being attacked

One person rolls their eyes at Dime and suddenly

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars