The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Star Wars films from GOT producers
PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2018 11:31 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I wonder how much it is announcement is tied into the stock market crash today and Disney trying to settle shareholders nerves.

PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2018 11:41 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

So, Star Wars = Marvel 2.0?

Tv series, multiple standalones and trilogies, I'm hesitant

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 12:34 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

If I have to follow all the Marvel things plus all the Star Wars things when all the Star Wars things are as numerous as the Marvel things, I'm going to be pissed.

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 1:42 am 

During a earnings call with Bob Iger, Iger revealed that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss turned down the show runner position for the upcoming live action Star Wars TV series in favor of the films they’ll be working on. They asked to work in a particular time period in the Star Wars universe.

“Their interest was in creating a series of films that are Star Wars based, we’ve been talking to them for a long time,” Iger said. “They’re focused on a point in time in Star Wars mythology and we’re taking it from there.”

Knights of the old republic is a go

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 8:48 am 

So the writers of Game of thrones have been hired to write new Star Wars?
Seems a bit pointless. All the good characters have already been killed off.

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 1:52 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I think I will retire my interest for the whole franchise after IX. I never really got into the whole expanded universe stuff anyway. Disney appears to be copying the Star Trek model.

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 2:09 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
I think I will retire my interest for the whole franchise after IX. I never really got into the whole expanded universe stuff anyway. Disney appears to be copying the Star Trek model.

yes, me too.

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 2:37 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Biff Pocoroba wrote:

Star Trek model? How so?

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 2:42 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:

Star Trek model? How so?

I think he means TNG then DS9 then enterprise.

Jumping around the timeline

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 3:03 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Disney appears to be copying the Star Trek model.

Star Trek model? How so?

I think he means TNG then DS9 then enterprise.

Jumping around the timeline

Yes

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 3:06 pm 

Tbh I think the Star Wars galaxy is far more suited to that than even ST.

I have complete faith in them right now. They haven’t screwed up yet. No reason to think they will on tv. They want their new streaming thing to be a heavy hitter. They won’t screw that up.

It’ll work.

It’ll work.

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 3:46 pm 
Future Drummer

I'm happy that those of you who are excited for all of these SW developments will be getting new SW things for years to come.

I'm a little saddened that we've gotten to this point. I think Star Wars is being watered down into generic sci-fi/fantasy films and I don't see it getting any better.

Maybe it's the new paradigm with how movies are made these days. Attempting franchises and cinematic universes. Using the internet to fuel the anticipation of upcoming movies by releasing tidbits of info to whet the appetite of all the fans that are buzzing about it on social media. A new movie in certain franchises every year.

I love the OT. My favorites. I'll always have the memories of seeing them in the theaters back then, and how they became a storied and cherished saga.

I liked TFA. I liked Rogue One, I do not like TLJ (disappointment more than anything). I don't like the prequels. But I think I let me expectations get the better of me. Expecting the name Star Wars to bring the awe, the spectacle back to cinema. However you feel about the OT, I think it set a standard for modern cinema, franchise-wise. And I don't think those standards were met in the PT, nor the ST, nor the offshoots.

It almost feels like too much SW. It's funny to think like that. I mean, one day you get a Solo trailer, the next day the new buzz is new trilogies in development, and tv shows. Next week we'll be talking about some other new SW thing.

TLJ hasn't even been out two months, and it's forgotten. The last comment in the TLJ thread is Feb 3rd. That's telling.

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 5:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 5:09 pm 
The worst

blueviper wrote:
I'm happy that those of you who are excited for all of these SW developments will be getting new SW things for years to come.

I'm a little saddened that we've gotten to this point. I think Star Wars is being watered down into generic sci-fi/fantasy films and I don't see it getting any better.

That remains to be seen. The true test of this will be what happens when we finally get a story unconnected to the main skywalker intergenerational saga - can something still feel like star wars without any of the traditional star wars signifiers.

Quote:
Maybe it's the new paradigm with how movies are made these days. Attempting franchises and cinematic universes. Using the internet to fuel the anticipation of upcoming movies by releasing tidbits of info to whet the appetite of all the fans that are buzzing about it on social media. A new movie in certain franchises every year.

To be fair, star wars was probably the first non comic book property to become a 'cinematic universe'. Two ewok movies and an x-mas special plus the EU material. This was star wars immediately after a new hope. So in that respect its nothing new. What is somewhat new is the amount of media oxygen this takes up. But the release of one movie a year as oversaturation feels excessive. Is the super bowl watered down because it happens once a year. It feels like there is constantly a movie because we're constantly anticipating the next one - but three hours of new content (or six, or nine) in the space of a year is pretty manageable. As long as they are good. And if the occasional film is a dud a new one right around the corner helps get that taste out of your mouth and allows you to recontexualize something you didn't like - appreciating its strengths and overlooking its weaknesses. If you want to use pearl jam as an example, the biggest sin of lightning bolt is less any music on the album (which I contend is all quite solid anway, but maybe that's just me) and more the fact that for the last 4 years or however long its been Lighting Bolt has been the only pearl jam we've had.

Quote:
I love the OT. My favorites. I'll always have the memories of seeing them in the theaters back then, and how they became a storied and cherished saga.

Same here (well not the theater part). But part of the power those movies have over you is the fact that you grew up with them, and they were maybe the first imaginative story that was truly yours. You grew up with it, which means nothing can ever easily compete with that because no other film can every quite show you what an imagination is for in the same foundational way. That's not nostalgia, but for people of a certain age it is why these movies are the end all/be all and for people of a later era they are perfectly fine movies that your dad obsesses about. Those OT films are far from perfect movies as works of craft (though still very good). But they mean something and have significance far beyond their actual quality of films. Later films can (and I think have) matched that quality, but they'll never be able to reproduce that magic because it's largely impossible. For us. For newer audiences they probably can.

Quote:
I liked TFA. I liked Rogue One, I do not like TLJ (disappointment more than anything). I don't like the prequels. But I think I let me expectations get the better of me. Expecting the name Star Wars to bring the awe, the spectacle back to cinema. However you feel about the OT, I think it set a standard for modern cinema, franchise-wise. And I don't think those standards were met in the PT, nor the ST, nor the offshoots.

It did set that standard, but it's a standard that again, in terms of craft, has almost certainly been matched and exceeded. But because they were first they'll have that emotional resonance that cannot be replaced for the people who were there. But that's something that happened outside the movie itself, and is just associated with it.

A somewhat recent analogue to this might be Wonder Woman - where what that movie means in terms of its importance (and what it means to some people) is really something that is associated with but independent of the film itself.

Quote:
It almost feels like too much SW. It's funny to think like that. I mean, one day you get a Solo trailer, the next day the new buzz is new trilogies in development, and tv shows. Next week we'll be talking about some other new SW thing.

It can be exhausting, but I think its important to separate the coverage of star wars from the product of star wars.

Quote:
TLJ hasn't even been out two months, and it's forgotten. The last comment in the TLJ thread is Feb 3rd. That's telling.

Forgotten? There are 500 pages in that thread, and conversation stopped when we started talking about solo. We've all seen the movie. We've talked about it extensively, and we are waiting for the home release so we can talk about it some more. In the meantime there is something else more current and new. that has nothing to do with a film being forgotten. There's just nothing to say about it right now. When was the last time someone posted in the Empire Strikes Back thread?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 5:17 pm 
The worst

I SEE THROUGH WHAT YOU'RE DOING, ANDERS!

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 5:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

:)

I look forward to the TLJ release, episode XI in the cinema, Solo, and very much these movies. A bit skeptical to the Rian trilogy. But it’s years in the future, impossible to say now what will be good.

However, we’ll always have the OT. I can’t wait to see them again.

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 5:25 pm 
Future Drummer

I don't like Stip replying to my posts :)

He brings too much sense.

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 5:32 pm 
The Master

blueviper wrote:
I don't like Stip replying to my posts :)

He brings too much sense.

Please don’t encourage him

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 5:46 pm 
The worst

It's a snow day. Encourage me!

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 6:23 pm 

Seeing this a lot all over but at least folks here are talking about it, but it’s perhaps a slow realisation Star Wars just isn’t for you anymore. This new stuff isn’t damaging your OT memories. Or how you view the characters. There’s a lot of people screaming saying Solo is going to ruin Han for them.
Seriously? If you’re that sure this far out than you know not to watch it if your view of Han is that fragile.
There’s a lot of good people I know who are just done with it and aren’t into the past two or three films. That’s cool I have a feeling this upcoming tv series will drag them back in and the rest of the world.

This whole thing has been like Princess Diana death. An entire nation that culturally held a stiff upper lip and wouldn’t be seen to behave in any way unseemly, suddenly got to have its breakdown and cry. But they eventually got over it.

I hope this is what Star Wars fandom is going through. And hope it soon gets over it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars