The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yield was released 20 years ago today
PostPosted: Sat February 03, 2018 11:36 pm 
Rank This Poster

This album could be the only Pearl Jam I listen for the rest of my life and I'd be happy.

PostPosted: Sat February 03, 2018 11:41 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Probably the peak of my fandom as well. I don't want to think about how old it is.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat February 03, 2018 11:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

20 years ago today:
-Gets a phone call from Camelot Music. “Your pre-ordered album is ready for pick up. We will hold it for one week.”
-Gets a senior to drive you to mall after school.
-Walkman. 5 times in one night.

Just now:
-“Alexa. Play “Yield” by Pearl Jam.”

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 12:40 am 
Future Drummer

Bought this lp at Record and Tape Traders. Came with a sticker.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 1:09 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Fuck, man. Midnight sales on Monday nights. Them was the days.

R.I.P. World Records, Columbus, Ohio

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 1:24 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

I actually managed to score it a day early. I'd heard a rumour that the street date was broken. So I bailed from Uni early and went to my local record store.

When I asked the dude behind the counter if the rumours were true, he replied "Fuck it, I don't know or care" and handed me a copy.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 1:24 am 
A Return To Form

washing machine wrote:
20 years ago today:
-Gets a phone call from Camelot Music. “Your pre-ordered album is ready for pick up. We will hold it for one week.”

Just now:

And going through the booklet trying to catch every detail and every nuanced lyric while the album played... damn. Those were the days. I've had to search multiple outlets or order online just to get their latest physical albums because every music store in town has closed.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 1:28 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
I actually managed to score it a day early. I'd heard a rumour that the street date was broken. So I bailed from Uni early and went to my local record store.

When I asked the dude behind the counter if the rumours were true, he replied "Fuck it, I don't know or care" and handed me a copy.

:haha:

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 1:29 am 
Looks Like a Cat

StonyGold wrote:
washing machine wrote:
20 years ago today:

Just now:

And going through the booklet trying to catch every detail and every nuanced lyric while the album played... damn. Those were the days. I've had to search multiple outlets or order online just to get their latest physical albums because every music store in town has closed.

You live in New England, correct?

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 1:56 am 
A Return To Form

washing machine wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
washing machine wrote:
20 years ago today:

Just now:

Florida. Everything they say about us is true.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 1:56 am 
Looks Like a Cat

StonyGold wrote:
washing machine wrote:
StonyGold wrote:
washing machine wrote:
20 years ago today:

Just now:

Florida. Everything they say about us is true.

You guys cuss?

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 2:03 am 
mXn

Yield - in my circle anyway - signaled the end of the bandwagon Pearl Jam fan. No Code was “weird” compared to the first three records which the whole world loved. I feel like people gave No Code a pass, and waited to see if the next record would be another Ten. It wasn’t.

When Yield came out, you either knew you were locked in as a Pearl Jam fan for life, or you moved on to the next thing...

I’ve posted about this before, but the song Pilate embodied this for me. I love this record, of course. Half my friends suffered through me playing a song like Pilate and decided PJ was old news. On to the next thing. See ya, suckas!

Last edited by Bammer on Fri August 17, 2018 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 2:18 am 
A Return To Form

washing machine wrote:
You guys cuss?

Religiously.

Bammer wrote:
Yield - in my circle anyway - signaled the end of the bandwagon Pearl Jam fan. No Code was “weird” compared to the first three records which the whole world loved. I feel like people gave No Code a pass, and waited to see if the next record would be another Ten. It wasn’t.

When Yield came out, you either knew you were locked in as a Pearl Jam fan for life, or you moved on to the next thing...

My god, truer words have never been spoken. No Code was like an experiment and every PJ fan basically embraced it for the sake of their love for the band. But good riddance to those who didn't stick around after Yield. I think every album they've put out after Yield have some gems (though Binaural is excellent in my book) and those wave-riders missed out on a lot of good music.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 2:41 am 
Broken Tamborine

Got the CD as a Christmas gift from my parents that year along with CCR's greatest hits CD and a CD player/radio. They were the first CDs I ever got and Yield was the first PJ album (looking back, I guess I was using cassettes up until 1998....).

I don't remember asking for it, I think they just bought whatever they thought was popular at the time.

I really liked it, but I didn't get hooked as a permanent fan until I bought Lo2L a year later and was impressed by how good they sounded live.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 2:42 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I love these stories and this thread and Yield

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 2:45 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Birds in Hell wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
The Last truly great no question album that pearl jam made.

I agree with this.

I’d say Binaural but it took me forever to truly understand and love that album as is.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 3:54 am 
A Return To Form

PHATJ wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
The Last truly great no question album that pearl jam made.

I agree with this.

I’d say Binaural but it took me forever to truly understand and love that album as is.

I agree with this statement. I think it's the one album that separates two different chapters of their music.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 3:05 pm 
AnalLog

I was ringing bells for the Salvation Army in Dallas over Christmas break, 1997. Given to Fly debuted on the radio and at the end of a 12 hour shift, 15 of us were in this van and the driver, knowing I was so into Pearl Jam, made everyone be quiet to hear. It was such a moment of pride to hear Pearl Jam sounding so amazing. (The Who You Are debut from No Code certainly didn't give that same feeling).

In Athens, GA, Pearl Jam had a billboard promoting Yield. I got on team Pearl Jam when Vitalogy came out. I was down with them turning their backs on the "music industry", but secretly I was so happy to see that billboard and read a few interviews! The Georgia Theater had a album debut party and my friends and I went. Only one was still a fan. The rest liked Ten and Vs. When Brain of J started, I felt that pride again. Pearl Jam not only still has it, but is better than any other rock band around.

Back to Athens for the Monday night midnight release at Wuxtry Records. I went with my girlfriend and she wanted to sit in the car and "talk". Holy shit girls can screw things up for a young man. When I finally got us out of the car, we were 11th inline. Wuxtry apparently had 10 Yield signs they were giving away. I watched the last one go right before my turn!

Over they years, for me, No Code has solidified itself as Pearl Jam's greatest artistic moment, but being able to produce Yield, 5 albums into their career, puts them in the same company as Neil, Zeppelin and the Who. What a band. What an album!

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 6:17 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Bought this at a midnight sale at a Media Play. My buddy and I then just drove around for the next hour listening to it. Then we went back to his parents, stole some liquor and listened a second time. Stereotypically teenager move but what a great night. School the next day sucked.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 9:56 pm 
AnalLog

Still stands as their best album, front to back, for me. Was just listening to the reissued vinyl, and was really bummed not to hear Hummus at the very end. I forget, was it on the original pressing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam