The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Calling All Comic Geeks!
PostPosted: Fri February 02, 2018 9:43 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Classic B.

PostPosted: Sat February 03, 2018 12:04 am 
Major Dude

Mine was a supporting post with a bit more information and a link. Not a classic b.

PostPosted: Sat February 03, 2018 2:20 pm 

I'm sorry I meant it was a....

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 4:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

wease wrote:
What is the new origin?

billy batson is basically a jerk and thats why he goes from foster home to foster home. they also redo sivana. black adam didnt change that much

tawny and the shazam family got updated too

PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2018 1:08 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I found this guy's video very useful.

He also has a great list of recommendations for comics beginners.
http://amzn.to/2qYzsEK

PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2018 1:46 pm 

His picks make pretty good sense. Though I would have picked Harrow County for Horror and Black Science or Low for Sci-Fi.

PostPosted: Sun February 11, 2018 3:54 am 
Looks Like a Cat

B's video inspired me to post this. I want to start diving into some comics again, but I have no idea what's out there. Things I've read in the past and enjoyed: Byrne Marvel stuff, Dark Phoenix saga, Bone, The Invisibles, The Watchmen, Persepolis, Love and Rockets & The Spirit.

I'm looking for something slightly surreal and gritty, with a focus on crime fighting or detective stories. Kind of like The Spirit meets The Invisibles. Does that exist?

PostPosted: Sun February 11, 2018 3:00 pm 

You prob should google Ed Brubaker and see if any of his stuff interests you. It's not by Brubaker but recently I've been enjoying Joe Golem.

PostPosted: Sun February 11, 2018 9:55 pm 
Major Dude

Bri Baker is a master of crime stories. They’re not necessarily detective novels, tho. If the crime genre interests you tho, you gotta get Criminal, Kill or Be Killed and The Fade Out. All three are by Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Hell, just look for any of Brubaker’s creator-owned stuff. You won’t go wrong with any of it. Kill or Be Killed is the one that’s currently running and is my favorite book being published right now. It’s so fucking good.

PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 1:12 am 
Major Dude

Any of you guys ever read any Grendel by Matt Wagner?

PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 1:20 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Anyone hear of the graphic novel Scurry? Rumor has it a sequel is in the works

PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 2:57 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Thanks for the Brubaker reccs, everyone. Criminal looks cool.

PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 2:58 am 
Looks Like a Cat

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Scurry looks good but I can't find it on amazon.ca :?

PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 3:16 am 
Major Dude

washing machine wrote:
Thanks for the Brubaker reccs, everyone. Criminal looks cool.

I can’t recommend Brubaker highly enough.

PostPosted: Sat February 17, 2018 7:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Sean Phillips draws homages to pop culture in a lot of his frames, doesn’t he?

There’s a conversation between Leo and Greta early on in Criminal that I swear is framed and posed with the Tom Waits Heart of a Saturday Night LP cover in mind. It would be one of those things that I’d say was a freak coincidence if it wasn’t for a very obvious nod to Monk’s Restaurant from Seinfeld just a few panels earlier.

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 3:59 pm 
Champion of RM

washing machine wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Scurry looks good but I can't find it on amazon.ca :?

Marc is such a wonderful artist. I'm reading Vol. 1 in preparation for Vol. 2 coming soon.

PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2018 12:13 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Some winners here: https://www.cbr.com/bad-classic-dc-covers/

PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2018 4:08 pm 

Yikes those are bad but that Captain Marvel one is next level.

PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2018 10:09 pm 

13 BIG THINGS COMING FROM MARVEL AND DC IN MAY

Marvel Comics and DC Comics both released their full solicitations for May 2018 this week, offering readers a closer look at the new books in the pipeline. May is shaping up to be a huge month for both publishers, with Marvel beginning the "Fresh Start" initiative and DC paving the way for Brian Michael Bendis' Superman books and Scott Snyder's Justice League books.

Marvel's Fresh Start

Earlier this week, Marvel pulled back the curtain on "Fresh Start," their latest relaunch aimed at giving readers easy jumping-on points to a variety of titles. Only a handful of Fresh Start books will actually be debuting in May, but we're very intrigued by what's been revealed thus far.

The biggest news here is that Jason Aaron and Ed McGuinness will be helming a relaunched Avengers comic, one that builds on the backbone of Marvel Legacy #1 and features a lineup consisting of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk (Jennifer Walters), Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes). May will also bring relaunched versions of Venom (by new team Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman) and Black Panther (by returning writer Ta-Nehisi Coates and new artist Daniel Acuna).

We expect plenty more new and relaunched books will follow in June, including Dan Slott's Iron Man and a new Amazing Spider-Man.

DC's Future Revealed

If you only buy one DC book in May, you might as well make it DC Nation #0. This comic features three short stores aimed at setting up some of the company's biggest projects this summer. Brian Bendis and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez will craft a prelude to the Man of Steel mini-series. Tom King and Clay Mann will set the stage for Batman and Catwoman's wedding and the return of the Joker. And Scott Snyder, James Tynion, Joshua Williamson and Jorge Jimenez will kick off the Justice League: No Justice crossover.

DC Nation #0 is essentially DC's contribution to Free Comic Book Day 2018, though it'll actually be hitting stores several days earlier. This issue will cost 25 cents in print form and will also be available to download for free digitally.

The End of The Mighty Thor?

Marvel is showing every sign of delivering on the promise that Jane Foster will meet her end in "The Death of the Mighty Thor." While we don't get the impression that writer Jason Aaron is done with his Thor saga just yet, it does appear as though The Mighty Thor is ending and making way for a new relaunch featuring the Odinson back in his old role.

Instead of a new issue of The Mighty Thor in May, Marvel will be publishing a standalone one-shot called The Mighty Thor: At the Gates of Valhalla #1. This issue will feature two new stories by Aaron, one illustrated by Jen Bartel and the other by Ramon Perez. We suspect this issue will serve as a bridge between the current series and the relaunch.

Marvel's Anniversary Issues

May is also notable for featuring three major milestone issues - Despicable Deadpool #300, Invincible Iron Man #600 and Amazing Spider-Man #800. Each of these three issues will also serve as finales for their respective books (well, technically Dan Slott still has one more issue of ASM remaining, but still).

Invincible Iron Man #600 may be the most significant of the three, as it also looks to be the very last Marvel comic written by Brian Bendis before he officially begins his DC career. We know this issue will mark the return of Tony Stark, but Marvel's solicit also promises no fewer than five major surprises over the course of Bendis' final tale.

A New Era for the Justice League

In case you haven't heard, Scott Snyder is taking over the Justice League line in the aftermath of Dark Nights: Metal. Snyder's run will begin in May as he teams with frequent writing partners Joshua Williamson and James Tynion IV, as well as artists Francis Manapul and Marcus To, for a weekly mini-series called Justice League: No Justice.

No Justice will see the League join forces with some of their most iconic villains and branch off into four separate groups in order to confront four cosmic beings intent on devouring the planet of Colu. This miniseries will introduce new mysteries and conflicts that will fuel the new Justice League comics launching later this summer.

Time for a Mutant Wedding

X-Men Gold writer Marc Guggenheim is currently laying the groundwork for a big mutant wedding this summer, as Kitty Pryde and Colossus finally tie the knot. Fans will have to wait until June to see that wedding actually take place, but they can follow Peter and Kitty's bachelor and bachelorette parties thanks to this one-shot special.

X-Men Wedding Special #1 will feature two main stories, one written by Guggenheim and the other by Kelly Thompson. But for classic X-Men fans, the biggest draw may be the inclusion of a new story penned by legendary writer Chris Claremont.

The Return of the Fantastic Four?

May sees the end of writer Chip Zdarsky's first arc on Marvel Two-In-One, with the solicit for issue #6 teasing "The fate of the Four will be determined here!" That has us wondering if Zdarsky might be preparing to transform Marvel Two-In-One into a brand new Fantastic Four comic. It would be ideal timing given all the hype surrounding Marvel's Fresh Start.

Lending further fuel to this theory is the fact that Marvel is reprinting several Fantastic Four hardcovers in May, including the Omnibus collections for the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby and John Byrne runs. This suggests that Marvel is gearing up for a big FF-related push, whatever that may ultimately involve.

The Flash Family Goes to War

Flash fans got a taste of what's in store for Barry Allen and the Flash Family in last month's Flash Annual #1, a prelude to the "Flash War" storyline. "Flash War" begins in earnest in May in The Flash #46 and #47. With Barry Allen and Wally West going to war with one another and Iris West being arrested for the murder of Eobard Thawne, no one in Barry's world is safe from this conflict.

New Star Wars Comics

There's a new Star Wars movie hitting in May, so it goes without saying that Marvel has some new Star Wars content on tap. On one hand, Marvel will capitalize on the release of Solo: A Star Wars Story with the debut of Star Wars: Lando - Double or Nothing. This five-issue mini-series is written by Rodney Barnes and drawn by Paolo Villanelli and features the lovable gambler in a story set shortly before the events of the new movie. Marvel will also kick off their adaptation of The Last Jedi with a new miniseries written by Gary Whitta and drawn by Michael Walsh.

As if that weren't enough, Marvel is also publishing Star Wars: Tag & Bink Were Here, an oversized special that reprints the duo's various Dark Horse Comics appearances to coincide with their cinematic debut in Solo.

A Fistful of Wolverines

In April, writer Charles Soule and artist David Marquez are officially welcoming Wolverine back into the Marvel Universe with the one-shot special Hunt for Wolverine #1. In May, Marvel will debut four separate weekly comics that spin out of that issue. Each will feature a different creative team and focus on a different storytelling genre. They include:

Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost #1-4 by Charles Soule and Matteo Buffagni
Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda #1-4 by Tom Taylor and R.B. Silva
Hunt for Wolverine: Claws of a Killer by Mariko Tamaki and Butch Guice
Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor by Jim Zub and Chris Bachalo

Marvel also unveiled an impressive set of variant covers by artist Todd Nauck. Nauck's four covers unite to form one massively detailed, Where's Waldo-style montage with multiple hidden versions of Wolverine.

Superman Specials

May will mark the end of pretty much every existing Superman title as DC gears up for Brain Bendis' run this summer. But fans can look forward to new stories from Action Comics writer Dan Jurgens and Superman writers Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason that cap off their respective runs. Those stories will be published in Action Comics Special #1 and Superman Special #1. Each special will also include new material from other superstar creative teams.

[img]Look%20for%20Tomasi's%20Super%20Sons%20to%20also%20wrap%20up%20with%20issue%20#16%20in%20May.%20Luckily,%20Tomasi%20has%20indicated%20that%20his%20story%20will%20continue%20on%20in%20another%20form,%20likely%20either%20in%20the%20form%20of%20a%20relaunch%20or%20a%20transition%20over%20to%20DC's%20YA-focused%20Ink%20line.[/img]

SHIELD (Finally) Returns

Jonathan Hickman essentially ended his tenure at Marvel with 2015's Secret Wars, but the writer still has one bit of unfinished business. After a long hiatus, the final two issues of Hickman and Weaver's SHIELD series will finally see the light of day. Marvel will first reprint the first four chapters of the 2011 SHIELD comic in a new special called SHIELD by Hickman & Weaver: The Rebirth #1. Issues #5 and #6 will follow soon after.

A Jean Grey Flashback

We're already very pleased with X-Men Red after just one issue, so we're excited to see writer Tom Taylor expand on that book with a new annual issue in May. X-Men Red Annual #1 pairs Taylor with artist Pascal Alixe for a story set in between the events of Phoenix Resurrection and X-Men Red. Anyone curious about how Jean adjusted to being alive after such a long absence will want to give this issue a look.

The Missing Books

Both Marvel and DC have developed a habit of quietly cancelling ongoing books by simply no longer soliciting them. Several titles are conspicuously absent in the May solicits, leaving us to wonder if they're due either for cancellation or relaunch.

On the Marvel side, Black Bolt, Thanos and Iron Fist are all missing in May. We wouldn't be surprised to see Black Bolt end in order to clear writer Saladin Ahmed's schedule for Quicksilver and Exiles. But Thanos seems like a strange omission given the huge critical and commercial success of the series' new creative team, Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw. We have to assume Marvel is simply planning a relaunch to capitalize on the character's central role in Avengers: Infinity War.

On the DC side of things, Supergirl, Titans, Teen Titans, Justice League, Justice League of America and Harley Quinn are all absent from the May solicits. It's expected that both the Titans and Justice League lines will be relaunched in the aftermath of the No Justice miniseries. Supergirl writer Steve Orlando confirmed that the series will be ending with May's issue #20. However, Harley Quinn's absence is unusual, given the character's continued popularity, and we assume more announcements on that front will be forthcoming.

PostPosted: Sat March 03, 2018 12:50 am 

I doubt that any of the New Age Of DC Heroes line comics will last the year but I hope this one does. At least its off to a promising start.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 83  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment