The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Unpopular Star Wars opinions
PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 9:05 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Hoth was filmed in Norway. I love those scenes.

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 4:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The Hoth stuff, while far from my favorite part of the film, is really well executed. I like all that stuff, though I do prefer almost every other "movement" of the film.

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 4:09 pm 
The worst

i love hoth, but it is one of those sequences that dont hold up to 2017 era scruitny. the impenetrable walkers are destroyed by one shot when they fall down? those giant walkers cant pop off a simple magnet?

but who cares cuz its awesome!

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat December 23, 2017 12:45 am 
AnalLog

I've always enjoyed this, was in an old unofficial SW book I bought around the time TPM came out:

http://www.baboards.com/forums/printthread.php?t=7513

PostPosted: Sat December 23, 2017 12:47 am 
Major Dude

Great love for Hoth.

PostPosted: Sat December 23, 2017 12:19 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

durdencommatyler wrote:
Here's an unpopular Star Wars opinion...

I like, care about what happens to, and feel far more invested in Rey after two films than I ever did Luke Skywalker.

I think that’s totally fair. I think it’s a different kind of relationship, when you’re little you play as Luke and he’s your entry into the story. But you don’t care about him. At this age you can root for rey and relate to her and want her to win.

That said there’s millions of little kids and they’re dressing up as rey and she’s their way in. Always gives me a smile to see them in their little costumes :)

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 5:13 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Hayden Christensen (sp?) done well considering he was given a shite job to do (not in terms of playing a Star Wars character, but shite-for-playing-a-Star-Wars character).

Darth Vader wears a mask, has a deep robotic voice and has heavy mechanical breathing.

Anakin Sky Walker in Episode 1 is a (some would say annoying) little kid with a high pitch voice who hasn't even started Jedi training, let alone converted to the dark side.

Anakin/Vader in episodes 2 and 3 had to be somewhere between these 2 extremes and link them into the same character.

Who would do better?

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 5:23 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I would agree that casting wasn't really the issue. Ewan and Natalie and Liam are all excellent actors that fall short of great work because of the work they were given.

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 5:38 pm 

This is definitely an unpopular opinion but if you watch the prequels and the performances given with the idea in mind that they’re Saturday matinee adventure serials the performances are a lot more rewarding. Even the awful romance stuff in AOTC with anakin and Padme, the dialogue is really 50s in spirit and has an innocence about it.

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 5:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
This is definitely an unpopular opinion but if you watch the prequels and the performances given with the idea in mind that they’re Saturday matinee adventure serials the performances are a lot more rewarding. Even the awful romance stuff in AOTC with anakin and Padme, the dialogue is really 50s in spirit and has an innocence about it.

Totally agree.

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 6:16 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Totally agree.

That it’s an unpopular opinion or with the rest of it?

Hey :lol:

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 6:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Totally agree.

That it’s an unpopular opinion or with the rest of it?

Hey :lol:

Heh!

The rest of it. I agree that the best way to view all of Star Wars (but especially the PT) is through pulp-tinted glasses. The more you put it in the context of the Saturday Matinee Adventure Serial, the better. I really think that the tone of the PT is exactly what Lucas always intended. The movies aren't as strong, in my opinion, a the OT overall but I think the are exactly what he always wanted Star Wars to be.

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 6:29 pm 

Agree completely. It’s 100% succeeding at him capturing the spirit he always intended. The only problem being none of us were around for that to truly get the point and appreciate how they’re being depicted, apart from after the fact post mortems telling us this is a good way to enjoy these films.

I heard filoni a few years back saying the best way and main points being missed was if you watch them as the downfall of the Jedi but through their own complacency and blindness and false sense of security that’s been eaten away under their noses and they’re now scrambling to fight that rot, it’s all the more enjoyable.

That point has been entirely missed in modern views and opinions on the prequels. Sure it’s about Anakins fall and becoming Vader but the multiptle running themes of duality throughout the trilogy come to bear in no bigger way than about the fall of the Jedi at their own hands in many ways.
TLJ did a great job of making that point too his luke but it’s one you rarely see talked about

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 6:43 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Even with the Saturday matinee approach, the love scenes in Attack are awful. Not just because of the acting or dialogue but mostly because of the director. Lucas did a pretty shitty job.

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 7:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Agree completely. It’s 100% succeeding at him capturing the spirit he always intended. The only problem being none of us were around for that to truly get the point and appreciate how they’re being depicted, apart from after the fact post mortems telling us this is a good way to enjoy these films.

I heard filoni a few years back saying the best way and main points being missed was if you watch them as the downfall of the Jedi but through their own complacency and blindness and false sense of security that’s been eaten away under their noses and they’re now scrambling to fight that rot, it’s all the more enjoyable.

That point has been entirely missed in modern views and opinions on the prequels. Sure it’s about Anakins fall and becoming Vader but the multiptle running themes of duality throughout the trilogy come to bear in no bigger way than about the fall of the Jedi at their own hands in many ways.
TLJ did a great job of making that point too his luke but it’s one you rarely see talked about

Again, I totally agree.

I said after my first viewing of TLJ that it reminded me more of the PT than the OT. I think TLJ married both trilogies in such a fantastic way. But it does have more in common with the PT, I think. Both in look/feel and thematically. It's like the best written Prequel: the prequel we all wanted. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 7:52 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

VinylGuy wrote:
Even with the Saturday matinee approach, the love scenes in Attack are awful. Not just because of the acting or dialogue but mostly because of the director. Lucas did a pretty shitty job.

No, it's mostly because of Hayden's acting

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 7:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

No, it's mostly because of Hayden's acting

:lol:

He really is... not great.

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 7:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I love Hayden's acting. Think he is one of the better actors in SW.

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 7:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:

Now THAT is an unpopular Star Wars opinion. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2018 7:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
Anders wrote:

Now THAT is an unpopular Star Wars opinion. :lol:

On the other hand I think Daisy Ridley is overrated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars