The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 785, 786, 787, 788, 789, 790, 791 ... 2022  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 7:54 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Just saw Darkest Hour. Oldman and Mendelsohn are great, but even Joe Wright can't elevate this material over boilerplate awards bait. He is such a frustrating director; he must be SUFFOCATING under stale projects like this. Why is he wasting his talent?!

To be fair there’s not a lot of wiggle room with such a known subject and character but he took all that room and showed us the lesser known winston taking from personal stories from staff and colleagues etc. That’s never been done. You can’t do huge personal style stuff when you’re dealing with a personality and history like Churchill.

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 8:37 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Just saw Darkest Hour. Oldman and Mendelsohn are great, but even Joe Wright can't elevate this material over boilerplate awards bait. He is such a frustrating director; he must be SUFFOCATING under stale projects like this. Why is he wasting his talent?!

To be fair there’s not a lot of wiggle room with such a known subject and character but he took all that room and showed us the lesser known winston taking from personal stories from staff and colleagues etc. That’s never been done. You can’t do huge personal style stuff when you’re dealing with a personality and history like Churchill.

That's always the danger when you're making a movie based on a known personality or a large property - having your own personality crushed under the weight of the material.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 1:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Three Billboards... was wonderful. Powerful. Painful. Expert script and outstanding performances. The direction is the weakest part by far.

Sam Rockwell deserves every award.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 2:26 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Annabelle.

Merely ok...a few scares and a few good moments (the elevator scene is amazing) but the sequel is so much better.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 2:59 pm 

I’m going to see a preview of the Post tonight. I know nothing about it. Apart from Señor Speilbergo is involved.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 5:33 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
Annabelle.

Merely ok...a few scares and a few good moments (the elevator scene is amazing) but the sequel is so much better.

While the second is scarier, I actually think the first is a better movie. Great production design and direction, which is surprising considering it was made by the director of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Yeah, that elevator scene is terrifying.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 5:53 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Annabelle.

While the second is scarier, I actually think the first is a better movie. Great production design and direction, which is surprising considering it was made by the director of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

I prefer the second one. I think its better in every department, from acting to production design, to sound and specially the director. The first one seems kinda boring towards the end, and the ending is almost funny. It has some really cool moments, the elevator scene and the beginning are my favorites.

But overall, thats a good franchise right there...Dying to see The Nun.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 6:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

VinylGuy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Annabelle.

I prefer the second one. I think its better in every department, from acting to production design, to sound and specially the director. The first one seems kinda boring towards the end, and the ending is almost funny. It has some really cool moments, the elevator scene and the beginning are my favorites.

It's been a while since I saw Annabelle, but I remember being really disappointed with it given how creepy they made her in The Conjuring, but I thought that the sequel was fantastic, and I liked the wee nod to the nun in the sequel too

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 7:11 pm 
The Master

The Post

Fake news...

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 7:20 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Rangi Guy wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Annabelle.

It's been a while since I saw Annabelle, but I remember being really disappointed with it given how creepy they made her in The Conjuring, but I thought that the sequel was fantastic, and I liked the wee nod to the nun in the sequel too

I think the first one has a few cool things, but the sequel is impressive. And yeah, i like that nod to the nun too. Im hoping that one to be really scary.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 7:27 pm 
The Master

I’m really excited for The Nun, but also totally dreading it because I know it’s gonna scare the fuck out of me.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 7:28 pm 
Rank This Poster

Paddington 2. What a beautiful movie. Also, I already loved Hugh Grant. About a Boy gives him a lifetime pass for me. He was the perfect villain for this. Really wish he had been Gilderoy Lockhart in HP2.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 7:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

daft twat wrote:
Paddington 2. What a beautiful movie. Also, I already loved Hugh Grant. About a Boy gives him a lifetime pass for me. He was the perfect villain for this. Really wish he had been Gilderoy Lockhart in HP2.

:thumbsup:

We just got back from taking the kids to this. Everyone really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 8:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I’m really excited for The Nun, but also totally dreading it because I know it’s gonna scare the fuck out of me.

Oh yes! Looked terribly scary in The Conjuring 2.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 8:48 pm 

The Post is good. ‘Oh look Tom Hanks and Meryll Streep are dressed up like it’s the 70s.’
She gets away with it cos she can act, but Hanks is just Hanks.
It’s probably a great film certain people in the world need right now. Freedom of the press blah blah. That’s not to be dismissive but it takes a long time to get to this point and doesn’t do anything with it when it gets there.

The very last scene is all the more cringe inducing for being totally unnecessary. It had made its point then does that?

*ps. Using retro filter to give it a genuine 70s feel took me out of it. Sat there thinking, Spielberg this is beneath you.

Wait for it to turn up on Netflix. Not an essential cinema trip at all.

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 11:03 pm 
AnalLog

I'm planning to grade every movie i see for the first time this year.

So Far:
Finding Sofia B
St. Vincent B
The Shape of Water A-
The Disaster Artist B-
I, Tonya B+
Look Who's Talking D
Everybody Wants Some D-

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 11:54 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
The Post is good. ‘Oh look Tom Hanks and Meryll Streep are dressed up like it’s the 70s.’
It’s probably a great film certain people in the world need right now. Freedom of the press blah blah. That’s not to be dismissive but it takes a long time to get to this point and doesn’t do anything with it when it gets there.

The very last scene is all the more cringe inducing for being totally unnecessary. It had made its point then does that?

*ps. Using retro filter to give it a genuine 70s feel took me out of it. Sat there thinking, Spielberg this is beneath you.

It was a little too on the nose and preachy but I was mostly entertained. The scenes of the typeface being set and papers being printed were great. I could watch that shit all day.

PostPosted: Tue January 16, 2018 12:05 am 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

It was a little too on the nose and preachy but I was mostly entertained. The scenes of the typeface being set and papers being printed were great. I could watch that shit all day.

That stuff is gorgeous. So tactile. I used to work in the Irish times way back and they still used that stuff in the copy room. All those blocks and plates were thrown out eventually when it went digital. No idea why I didn’t grab loads of it. I love that stuff now.

PostPosted: Tue January 16, 2018 5:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Watched Dunkirk. He already made Memento once, why did he think he needed to do that again? Yeah the film looked amazing and it's a great story but then I see that the whole thing was made up.

PostPosted: Tue January 16, 2018 6:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
It was a little too on the nose and preachy but I was mostly entertained.

I feel like this is the ultimate Spielberg tagline.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 785, 786, 787, 788, 789, 790, 791 ... 2022  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment