The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year
PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 7:43 pm 
post-structuralist

bada wrote:
malice wrote:
Movie number one:
Whip it
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172233/

Really enjoyed it, the cast was pretty diverse and i think that helped the character chemistry. The storyline was better than i expected it to be too, made me glad to stumble on it flipping channels around last night. Reminded me of some of the better indie movies i used to actively seek out when i was in my 20s.

Also liked the music

I don't remember much about Whip It but I do recall enjoying it.

im not even all that hype on ellen page but liked her in this one. nice surprise

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 8:26 pm 
The Master

Can someone join the group if their goal is to consume 50 video games/movies/tv shows/books/plays total this year?

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 8:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
50 movies is easy. 50 books is worse, but easier if you count graphic novels. In a good year I read 40 novels, last year only 20.

The highest number of books I've read in a year is 38. The shortest page count of those 38 was 94 pages.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 8:38 pm 
The Master

I read two ASOICAF books last year. That should count for at least 4 books each.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 8:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I read two ASOICAF books last year. That should count for at least 4 books each.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 8:55 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Anders wrote:
50 movies is easy. 50 books is worse, but easier if you count graphic novels. In a good year I read 40 novels, last year only 20.

I read close to 30 graphic novels last year so yeah, go ahead. The only caveat I would through out there is to use just the graphic novels, not individual issues.
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Can someone join the group if their goal is to consume 50 video games/movies/tv shows/books/plays total this year?

As long as it's to completion (i.e. you beat 50 games) IDGAF. :thumbsup:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
It sort of does in the OG rules. Once a book is over 400 pages you can count it twice. But you can't count a truly huge book as 3 or 4, it tops out at 2.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 8:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
It sort of does in the OG rules. Once a book is over 400 pages you can count it twice. But you can't count a truly huge book as 3 or 4, it tops out at 2.

Wait, really? That's some bullshit. Then, I've definitely been able to complete this competition. Most books I read are well over 400 pages.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 9:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
Anders wrote:

The highest number of books I've read in a year is 38. The shortest page count of those 38 was 94 pages.

That’s a really good number.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 9:09 pm 
The Master

Do you have to start it this year? What if you consumed most of it this year?

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 9:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
bune wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Wait, really? That's some bullshit. Then, I've definitely been able to complete this competition. Most books I read are well over 400 pages.

Ok, so apparently it's 500 pages, not 400
Quote:
.3) Do long books count as 2? What about movies?
If your book is over 500 pages, you can count it as two books if you like. We still consider you an Overachiever. However, if the book is 2,000 pages, it’s still just two books — not four!
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Do you have to start it this year? What if you consumed most of it this year?
Only the end dates matter so if you started something on December 1 and finished on Jan 1, it counts for 2018.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 9:49 pm 
The Master

1-50 Video Game
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4)

2-50 Video Game
Golf Story (Switch)

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 10:17 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Monkey_Driven wrote:

Excited to hear what the "C" stands for.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 10:18 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Excited to hear what the "C" stands for.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Sleep deprivation is a hell of a drug.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 1:02 am 
Mind Your Tanners

01/50 Books
    Son of Retro Pulp Tales by Joe R. Lansdale

03/50 Movies
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)
    The Dark Tower (2017)
    Kong: Skull Island (2017)

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 1:03 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

B wrote:
96583UP wrote:
do berenstain bears count toward this

It's Berenstein. You were obviously born after the glitch.

But yes, those books are harder to read than any adult novel. Franklin the turtle too. Those count as double books.

i am the glitch

i actually typed it with the e but then googled thinking i should check

and google wanted an 'A'

a frightening post-apocalyptic wasteland we live in

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 1:05 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

96583UP wrote:
B wrote:
96583UP wrote:
do berenstain bears count toward this

It's Berenstein. You were obviously born after the glitch.

But yes, those books are harder to read than any adult novel. Franklin the turtle too. Those count as double books.

i am the glitch

i actually typed it with the e but then googled thinking i should check

and google wanted an 'A'

a frightening post-apocalyptic wasteland we live in

whoa this is heavier than i imagined:

http://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/news/a32934/the-berenstein-berenstain-bears-conspiracy-theory/

Quote:
Unable to come to grips with the fact that they had the name wrong this whole time, some fans have even come up with a crazy theory as to why the name was "changed." They believe that the name of the books was actually Berenstein at one point, but we've shifted into a parallel universe — an alternative timeline, if you will — where the title of the books is The Berenstain Bears.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 1:20 am 
The Master

3/50 - Video Game

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 5:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

bune wrote:
01/50 Books
    Son of Retro Pulp Tales by Joe R. Lansdale

03/50 Movies
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)
    The Dark Tower (2017)
    Kong: Skull Island (2017)

I didn't get a chance to talk about these since my son was watching me type.

The Dark Tower: There's a good movie in there somewhere. The deleted scenes and behind the scenes showed so many things that didn't happen in the film at all so I know there's a two-hour cut out there. Hell, the Horn of Eld didn't even show up and that was a big push from King himself about the movie. I hope they get to make a part two.

Kong: I couldn't have been the only person to see Toby Kebbell in the credits and think "oh hey, he's in another monkey movie." The editing on this film was pretty terrible. Not just bad, but terrible. For example: I swear every time Toby was on screen he was in a different place and this was after being told to stay still. Or maybe how many helicopters there were? My son said, when the guy with a full face-mask was shown piloting a chopper, "He's going to die, you haven't even been introduced to the character." I was never sure how many copters there were at any given time because they started with 6, there were suddenly 12, and then they ended up with the only survivors were people you were introduced to back in Vietnam.

The effects and the cinematography though, those were amazing.

Also I kind of don't like Brie Larson in the movie.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 7:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Almost done with Stranger in a Strange Land.

Whoa. Whoa. Fucking whoa. "Nine times out of ten, if a girl gets raped, it's partly her fault."

There's some backward-ass thinking going on in the book to be sure, and I understand it's because of the time period, but Holy Hey-Zeus. What the hell is this.

I read somewhere that the first 2/3 of the book was written before the last 1/3 and this certainly shows. There were good ideas and now it's a cult. OK then.
Quote:
Still inexhaustibly wealthy, and now free to travel, Smith becomes a celebrity and is feted by the Earth's elite. He investigates many religions, including the Fosterite Church of the New Revelation, a populist megachurch wherein sexuality, gambling, alcohol consumption, and similar activities are allowed, even encouraged, and only considered "sinning" when not under church auspices. The Church of the New Revelation is organized in a complexity of initiatory levels: an outer circle, open to the public; a middle circle of ordinary members who support the church financially; and an inner circle of the "eternally saved" — attractive, highly sexed men and women, who serve as clergy and recruit new members. The Church owns many politicians and takes violent action against those who oppose it. Smith also has a brief career as a magician in a carnival, where he and Gillian befriend the show's tattooed lady, an "eternally saved" Fosterite named Patricia Paiwonski.
Yeah, maybe I should check out the edited version eventually.

PostPosted: Thu January 11, 2018 9:32 pm 
post-structuralist

bune wrote:
Almost done with Stranger in a Strange Land.

Whoa. Whoa. Fucking whoa. "Nine times out of ten, if a girl gets raped, it's partly her fault."

There's some backward-ass thinking going on in the book to be sure, and I understand it's because of the time period, but Holy Hey-Zeus. What the hell is this.

I read somewhere that the first 2/3 of the book was written before the last 1/3 and this certainly shows. There were good ideas and now it's a cult. OK then.
Quote:
Still inexhaustibly wealthy, and now free to travel, Smith becomes a celebrity and is feted by the Earth's elite. He investigates many religions, including the Fosterite Church of the New Revelation, a populist megachurch wherein sexuality, gambling, alcohol consumption, and similar activities are allowed, even encouraged, and only considered "sinning" when not under church auspices. The Church of the New Revelation is organized in a complexity of initiatory levels: an outer circle, open to the public; a middle circle of ordinary members who support the church financially; and an inner circle of the "eternally saved" — attractive, highly sexed men and women, who serve as clergy and recruit new members. The Church owns many politicians and takes violent action against those who oppose it. Smith also has a brief career as a magician in a carnival, where he and Gillian befriend the show's tattooed lady, an "eternally saved" Fosterite named Patricia Paiwonski.
Yeah, maybe I should check out the edited version eventually.

I was not a big fan of this book. I wanted to like Heinlein, i really did, but it was just too big of a cultural/generational divide for me to cross.
I tried one other book of his after this one, and believe i accidentally left it in a burger king half finished. I don't even remember which book.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment