The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 441, 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi -spoilers start 3
PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 4:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Anybody wanna read 15,000 words on the brilliance of The Last Jedi and how it relates to common literary tropes as well as predictions (based on evidence in the films and literary analysis of basic storytelling and complex mythology and structures) on what will happen in Ep 9?

https://ohtze.tumblr.com/post/169094630 ... -the-crown

Spoiler Alert for LV: it talks a whole lot about sex and ships Reylo hard.

I just read that whole thing. Really hope she isn't right about episode nine, and the whole holy mother thing. But I did like the comparisons to Padme and Anakin.

I never thought for a minute that "Reylo" was a real possible thing. But I love the analysis in this essay and I think I could be turned into a legit shipper. It's not the story I would write, maybe. But they if they go that route it would be bold and could be really beautiful and impactful. Plus, it would keep the "Skywalker Saga" in line for those that need that to be a thing.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 4:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
Anders wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Anybody wanna read 15,000 words on the brilliance of The Last Jedi and how it relates to common literary tropes as well as predictions (based on evidence in the films and literary analysis of basic storytelling and complex mythology and structures) on what will happen in Ep 9?

I just read that whole thing. Really hope she isn't right about episode nine, and the whole holy mother thing. But I did like the comparisons to Padme and Anakin.

I never thought for a minute that "Reylo" was a real possible thing. But I love the analysis in this essay and I think I could be turned into a legit shipper. It's not the story I would write, maybe. But they if they go that route it would be bold and could be really beautiful and impactful. Plus, it would keep the "Skywalker Saga" in line for those that need that to be a thing.

Yes, Reylo wouldn't be a bad choice. A lot better than some cardboard story where Kylo is just evil and gets killed, and Rey is always good, and gives us no worries. I have a lot of hope that episode IX will be the best of the trilogy.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 4:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Anders wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yes, Reylo wouldn't be a bad choice. A lot better than some cardboard story where Kylo is just evil and gets killed, and Rey is always good, and gives us no worries. I have a lot of hope that episode IX will be the best of the trilogy.

I hope so, man. I never want these movies to be bad. I'm always pulling for good Star Wars. We'll see. But I tend to enjoy JJ's work, so I'm definitely optimistic.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 4:56 pm 
The worst

Great essay. I hope JJ and his writing partner are up to closing this out in a meaningful way. I hope JJ uses the chance to close out the trilogy in a meaningful way. I like his films (and love TFA), but they are always so fast paced. Appropriate for the start of a story. I hope he can slow down for the ending.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 4:58 pm 
The worst

I need to find time to read her other essays. I am looking forward to a few years worth of articles unpacking these themes (which is one reason why this is going to age incredibly well. there will be stuff to go back and discover/connections to make/ideas to explore)

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 5:03 pm 
The Master

JJ doesn’t know the meaning of meaningful

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 5:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
I need to find time to read her other essays. I am looking forward to a few years worth of articles unpacking these themes (which is one reason why this is going to age incredibly well. there will be stuff to go back and discover/connections to make/ideas to explore)

Totally agree.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 5:05 pm 
The worst

I don't know how familiar he is with the literary theory the author of that excellent essay is discussing, but because these tropes are so deeply embedded in our storytelling good storytellers will follow them reflexively even if they aren't necessarily aware of the technical process.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 5:06 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

Totally agree.

I want to make a Binaural comparison, but I don't like Binaural enough to do it.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 5:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

Totally agree.

I want to make a Binaural comparison, but I don't like Binaural enough to do it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 5:35 pm 
The Master

stip wrote:
I don't know how familiar he is with the literary theory the author of that excellent essay is discussing, but because these tropes are so deeply embedded in our storytelling good storytellers will follow them reflexively even if they aren't necessarily aware of the technical process.

You lost me at storytelling

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 5:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
stip wrote:

Oh. Well, storytelling describes the social and cultural activity of sharing stories, sometimes with improvisation, theatrics, or embellishment. Every culture has its own stories or narratives, which are shared as a means of entertainment, education, cultural preservation or instilling moral values. Crucial elements of stories and storytelling include plot, characters and narrative point of view.

The term "storytelling" can refer in a narrow sense specifically to oral storytelling and also in a looser sense to techniques used in other media to unfold or disclose the narrative of a story.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 5:53 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
stip wrote:

Oh. Well, storytelling describes the social and cultural activity of sharing stories, sometimes with improvisation, theatrics, or embellishment. Every culture has its own stories or narratives, which are shared as a means of entertainment, education, cultural preservation or instilling moral values. Crucial elements of stories and storytelling include plot, characters and narrative point of view.

The term "storytelling" can refer in a narrow sense specifically to oral storytelling and also in a looser sense to techniques used in other media to unfold or disclose the narrative of a story.

shut up

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 5:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
stip wrote:

shut up

8-)

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 8:02 pm 
The Master

flames and fire.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 9:53 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

LV doesn't get the movie, though

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 10:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This was pretty good:

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review-rian-johnson-1202635597/

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 10:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Strat wrote:
flames and fire.

Dammit, I can't find the fire & flames Mario maker level now.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 10:32 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LV doesn't get the movie, though

geezes, ruddo.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 10:35 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Ruddo is the best at getting all butthurt about innocuous comments

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 441, 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars