The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi -spoilers start 3
PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 10:01 pm 
Future Drummer

We saw this yesterday and I have one question for those of you who have seen it multiple times.
Can you tell me how del Toro's character knew Holdo's plan? I must have missed something.

Last edited by doone on Tue January 02, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 10:03 pm 
The Master

doone wrote:
We saw this yesterday and I have one question for those of you who have seen it multiple times.
I can't remember how del Toro's character knew Holdo's plan?

If i remember correctly, Poe reveals it to Finn and Rose over their communications link on the ship back.

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 10:05 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
doone wrote:

If i remember correctly, Poe reveals it to Finn and Rose over their communications link on the ship back.

And that guy was listening? Missed that. So why did they go a bead and land on the First Order ship? Holdo's plan was better.

Last edited by doone on Tue January 02, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 10:06 pm 
The Master

doone wrote:
Strat wrote:
doone wrote:

And that guy was listening? Missed that.

yea he was sitting right behind them in the cockpit twiddling his thumbs.

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 10:07 pm 
Future Drummer

I hate pyramids on phones!
So why did they still go to First Order ship?

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 10:08 pm 
The Master

doone wrote:
I hate pyramids on phones!
So why did they still go to First Order ship?

Because Poe didnt care for Holdo's plan. he thought she was a traitor. He still wanted his plan to move froward with sneaking onto the first order ship to disable the tracking.

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 10:08 pm 
The worst

doone wrote:
Strat wrote:
doone wrote:

And that guy was listening? Missed that. So why did they go a bead and land on the First Order ship? Holdo's plan was better.

Because Poe didn't trust Holdo's plan (and she was not forthcoming with it because she - probably rightly based on the first scene - didn't trust Poe). Part of the prior star wars mythos was that risky plans with ridiculous odds always work. It's a running joke, practically (running through TFA). Poe's story challenges that. His overly complicated plan actually got almost everyone killed.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 10:10 pm 
Future Drummer

Thanks guys, that's been bugging me.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 6:04 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I loved this hard. Way better than The Force Awakens, up there with Rogue One. I like all the left turns it took, the silliness of some moments and the visceral, gut-wrenching emotion of others. Fights were thrilling, production and art design were gorgeous, and most of the cast was great (it feels cruel to say but Carrie Fisher wasn't even a little bit good). The star of the show was Hamill, of course. How anyone could fault what he brings to this role is beyond me. From the moment he gets the chance to sabotage both expectations and his dramatic re-entry by carelessly chucking his formerly beloved saber over a cliff, his entire performance is a joy. And I love what they did with the character. In promising Rey three lessons, Luke further undoes what we've come to expect of him, becoming a master whose only true aim is to prove how fruitless his life's work has been. His bitterness is such an amazing wrench to hurl into these works. Two scenes in particular, the beautiful "second lesson" and the entire segment with Yoda, really exemplify what Luke (and Hamill) make of this world three decades on.

Rey, of course, once again holds her own, both with her newfound cranky master and later with Kylo Ren. I was really surprised and overjoyed seeing them fight together, and I'm pretty sad that we won't get to see that again. That scene could've been twice as long and I would've been happy. Kylo Ren was even better here than on TFA, his petulance now teeming with something heavier and darker.

There's also a lot of lovely, long game symmetry -- of seemingly hypothetical statements made "real" by movie's end. Like when Luke asks Rey, "What, did you think I was going to grab a laser sword and take on the First Order?" Or when Yoda tells Luke that the sacred cave with the Jedi texts doesn't have anything Rey doesn't already possess.

Quick thoughts: I liked Rose and Finn's sidequest, though it went on a bit long. I enjoyed how it tied the film together thematically, which you don't really realize until the very end. Some of Rose's dialogue was cringy. I loved the rebels in-fighting and Poe's failed mutiny. Sound design and score were on point. Most scenes would have indeed been improved by a wall of flames. But I am very happy with what we got.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 6:38 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I feel like I should have guessed that you would love the quirky side of it.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 8:19 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
stip wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
I can't wait to possibly have mixed feelings maybe!

it’s a great movie. some thrilling set pieces, character arcs, and thoughtful thematic work. there is a lot to take in, by star wars standards. its a grower, as more complicated things are

although, according to LV, there was a missed chance to make one scene more memorable by setting it on fire

Which scene?

The background in the Kylo, Snoke, Rey and red guards scene.

You guys are kidding, right?

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 9:20 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Anders wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
stip wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

it’s a great movie. some thrilling set pieces, character arcs, and thoughtful thematic work. there is a lot to take in, by star wars standards. its a grower, as more complicated things are

although, according to LV, there was a missed chance to make one scene more memorable by setting it on fire

Which scene?

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
God I wish a better director had made this. The more I think about that throne room fight, the more wasted it seems. Imagine that shit with a huge wall of flames backlighting the characters, sabers clashing in slo-mo, intense choral chanting (think Zimmer’s Bane theme meets Williams’s ROTJ score for the Luke/Vader duel) underscoring the action...the potential for mythic pop art here is huge, and no one besides Gareth Edwards seem interested in that.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 9:35 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Anders wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
stip wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Which scene?

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
God I wish a better director had made this. The more I think about that throne room fight, the more wasted it seems. Imagine that shit with a huge wall of flames backlighting the characters, sabers clashing in slo-mo, intense choral chanting (think Zimmer’s Bane theme meets Williams’s ROTJ score for the Luke/Vader duel) underscoring the action...the potential for mythic pop art here is huge, and no one besides Gareth Edwards seem interested in that.

Thanks. Ok, this is more detailed than I initially thought.

The flames part confused me because there are actually flaming walls in that scene.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 11:18 am 
The worst

theplatypus wrote:
I loved this hard. Way better than The Force Awakens, up there with Rogue One. I like all the left turns it took, the silliness of some moments and the visceral, gut-wrenching emotion of others. Fights were thrilling, production and art design were gorgeous, and most of the cast was great (it feels cruel to say but Carrie Fisher wasn't even a little bit good). The star of the show was Hamill, of course. How anyone could fault what he brings to this role is beyond me. From the moment he gets the chance to sabotage both expectations and his dramatic re-entry by carelessly chucking his formerly beloved saber over a cliff, his entire performance is a joy. And I love what they did with the character. In promising Rey three lessons, Luke further undoes what we've come to expect of him, becoming a master whose only true aim is to prove how fruitless his life's work has been. His bitterness is such an amazing wrench to hurl into these works. Two scenes in particular, the beautiful "second lesson" and the entire segment with Yoda, really exemplify what Luke (and Hamill) make of this world three decades on.

Rey, of course, once again holds her own, both with her newfound cranky master and later with Kylo Ren. I was really surprised and overjoyed seeing them fight together, and I'm pretty sad that we won't get to see that again. That scene could've been twice as long and I would've been happy. Kylo Ren was even better here than on TFA, his petulance now teeming with something heavier and darker.

There's also a lot of lovely, long game symmetry -- of seemingly hypothetical statements made "real" by movie's end. Like when Luke asks Rey, "What, did you think I was going to grab a laser sword and take on the First Order?" Or when Yoda tells Luke that the sacred cave with the Jedi texts doesn't have anything Rey doesn't already possess.

Quick thoughts: I liked Rose and Finn's sidequest, though it went on a bit long. I enjoyed how it tied the film together thematically, which you don't really realize until the very end. Some of Rose's dialogue was cringy. I loved the rebels in-fighting and Poe's failed mutiny. Sound design and score were on point. Most scenes would have indeed been improved by a wall of flames. But I am very happy with what we got.

:hooray:

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 11:28 am 
The worst

ill go into more detail on this im sure when i finish the last jedi tour, but from the standpoint of Kylo’s list of grievences Rey betrays him three times, while he never betrays her (killing his master to protect her is how he’ll remember snoke). She refuses his hand, she draws the lightsaber on him (or tries to). And she breaks off their final force connection as the falcon leaves - literally closing the door on him.

At this point Rey has given up on him (maybe? she attacked him to save her friends, but didnt kill him when she had the chance) but Kylo seems to need Rey - the one person in the galaxy who may understand him. I hope JJ explores that further in the finale

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 1:28 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I was pretty confident Jorge would enjoy this. Really glad it was right there for him.

Jorge. It gets even better on further viewings.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 1:54 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I like those two moments that Platy is saying, with luke telling rey about him going with a lightsaber against the first order and Rey taking the books. Its pretty clever.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 2:23 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Every time I'm ready to give up on Jorge, he turns around and does something like this. I just can't quit him.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 2:29 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
Every time I'm ready to give up on Jorge, he turns around and does something like this. I just can't quit him.

i think he is someone´s force ghost at this point.

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 2:32 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

i think he is someone´s force ghost at this point.

Sith can't be Force Ghosts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars