The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun December 31, 2017 3:59 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Go save them

PostPosted: Mon January 01, 2018 7:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

:shake:

4 killed in New Year's Eve shooting at New Jersey home

PostPosted: Wed January 03, 2018 9:12 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Nor Cal shooter was apparently a mentally unstable pot grower out on bail for assault. 160K bail sounds like a felony, yeah?

California has a special taskforce to collect firearms from prohibited people. Why don't we focus on that rather than cosmetic assault weapons bans that are damn near inscrutable?

Why not both?

Because if we can't enforce the laws we have are we going to be able to enforce new laws? This guy was literally out on bail for shooting at and stabbing his neighbors. Why was he allowed to keep his guns?

California has a new law that prohibits what are effectively ergonomic features for the popular AR-15 platform. You can either leave the popular, ergonomic features on your rifle and register it as an "assault weapon" (and also use detachable magazines) OR, you can make your rifle "featureless" and also use detachable magazines. Some of those features such as the "flash hider" are poorly defined and subject to interpretation.

I don't know how we can quantify the lives saved by this enlightened legislation.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 5:32 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Oldish news:

[url]
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06 ... looms.html[/url]

Will this go to the 9th circuit next? I look forward to whatever tortured justification they find to uphold the law.

PostPosted: Sun January 14, 2018 1:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Interesting news on Vegas shooter:

Apparently he had two email addresses that sent each other messages in conversation form about buying weapons, the wife's fingerprints are on the magazines, and she deleted her facebook account hours before his name was released. Yet, law enforcement maintains he acted alone.

Last edited by Bi_3 on Sun January 14, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun January 14, 2018 7:09 pm 
Poster of the Year

John Doe #2 strikes again

PostPosted: Mon January 15, 2018 1:53 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
John Doe #2 strikes again

Elsewhere this has been reported as the shooter emailing himself. Is it confirmed that he owned the domain?

PostPosted: Tue January 23, 2018 7:00 pm 
AnalLog

Two school shootings in two days. Today's in rural Kentucky, two teens killed and 15 injured including a special needs student.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/23/us/kentu ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed January 24, 2018 6:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

School Shooting in Kentucky Was Nation's 11th of the Year. It was only Jan. 23rd.

PostPosted: Thu January 25, 2018 7:42 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Stickman wrote:

Save for the last few, it seems wildly disingenuous to describe most of these as "school shootings":

https://thinkprogress.org/school-shooti ... 9b247474e/

January 3, 2018: East Olive Elementary School, St. Johns, MI
A 31-year-old man committed suicide by gun in the parking lot of East Olive Elementary School ... The school was been closed since June, so no children or staff were at the school, and no one else was hurt in the shooting.

January 4, 2018: New Start High School, Seattle WA
On January 4, someone fired a bullet that entered an office window at New Start High School in Seattle and lodged into a three-ring binder, prompting the school to go on lockdown. No one was injured.

January 6, 2018: Forest City School District, Forest City, Iowa
A person shot out the window of a school bus on Friday, January 6 in Iowa. No one was hurt by the bullet or by the shattering glass, according to local media ... The police said they know who is responsible for the shooting and believe it was an isolated incident.

January 9, 2018: Coronado Elementary School, Sierra Vista, AZ
On Tuesday, January 9, a 14-year-old boy killed himself in an elementary school bathroom with a family member’s gun.

January 10, 2018: California State University San Bernardino, San Bernardino, CA
On January 10, shots were fired at California State University San Bernardino around 5:20 p..m. A bullet went through a window of the Visual Arts building ... No one was injured, and no one has been arrested.

January 10, 2018: Grayson College, Denison, TX
On the same day as the shooting in San Bernardino, CA, a student at the Grayson College Criminal Justice Center accidentally fired a gun, sending a bullet went through a classroom wall, which came out through the other side and went out a window.

January 15, 2018: Wiley College, Marshall, TX
Three students were in a dorm room January 15 when a bullet was fired into the room. The shooting happened just after midnight that Monday, and the police say that two people in a dark sedan pulled up to the parking lot of the dorm room and exchanged fire with someone in the lot ... No injuries were reported, and police say they don’t believe the dorm was a target.

January 20, 2018: Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC
A Winston-Salem State University student was shot and killed while attending an event at Wake Forest University last weekend. Najee Ali Baker was 21 ... Law enforcement said Baker was shot after an altercation at an Greek Life event around 1:00 a.m. Police said it appears to be an isolated incident, they don’t believe the shooter remained on campus, and no one has been arrested.

January 22, 2018: The Net Charter School, Gentilly, LA
A 14-year-old student was taken to the hospital Monday after shots rang out at a charter school in Louisiana. It’s not clear from reports whether the injury was a gunshot wound or another wound that happened in the chaos of the shooting.

January 22, 2018: Italy High School, Italy, TX
A 15-year-old girl was shot and wounded on Monday after a 16-year-old male student opened fire in the high school cafeteria with a semi-automatic handgun. Both the suspect and the victim were students at the high school, according to police.

January 23, 2018: Marshall County High School, Marshall County, KY
Two students, one male and one female, both age 15, were killed in the deadliest school shooting of the year so far on Tuesday in Kentucky. The first victim, the teenage girl named Bailey Holt, passed away at the scene, and the second, Preston Cope, passed away at the hospital. More than 15 others were injured.

PostPosted: Thu January 25, 2018 4:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

You know, I wasn't going to say anything but then I saw the exact same comment on an article I was reading. My response? So. fucking. what. I don't care if this was the first school shooting of 2018: that's one more than there should be. That you feel the need to make a God-damn distinction argument says a lot.

PostPosted: Thu January 25, 2018 4:51 pm 
Poster of the Year

If one is enough you shouldn't have to disingenuously say there are 11 of them to make your point. All that does is give the other side an argument against you.

PostPosted: Thu January 25, 2018 5:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bune wrote:
You know, I wasn't going to say anything but then I saw the exact same comment on an article I was reading. My response? So. fucking. what. I don't care if this was the first school shooting of 2018: that's one more than there should be. That you feel the need to make a God-damn distinction argument says a lot.

It's the same argument over "hierarchy of abuse" in the Cosby thread. The term "school shooting" conjures Columbine or Newtown in people's minds, not "gun discharged on college campus" which is what a lot of those listed are and those events are not the same. Making that distinction in no way, shape, or form, says that any one of the events listed is somehow acceptable or "more acceptable" but understanding the distinct details of any situation allows for better understanding of causes and potential solutions, which using such a charged term to cover a variety of occurrences does not.

PostPosted: Thu January 25, 2018 6:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I feel like either I'm missing something or I missed imparting something in my heated message earlier. So I'm going to leave it as: we shouldn't have this problem with shootings period regardless of what anyone decides to label them.

PostPosted: Thu January 25, 2018 11:05 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

bune wrote:
I don't care if this was the first school shooting of 2018: that's one more than there should be.

No argument from me!

cutuphalfdead wrote:
If one is enough you shouldn't have to disingenuously say there are 11 of them to make your point. All that does is give the other side an argument against you.

Exactly, it's shifty and dishonest behaviour and really undercuts the point that was trying to be conveyed.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 1:48 am 
Site Admin

The problem I have with focusing on school shootings, no matter how you define them, is that it's such a small portion of gun deaths in America either way. The grand majority of gun deaths are suicides, and the grand majority of homicide gun deaths are either related to domestic violence or organized crime. But those types of gun deaths are rarely sexy enough to make the news.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 7:00 am 
Future Drummer

The connection to domestic violence is really the Cassandra to this whole crisis IMO, because it points to it being part of a larger pattern of men and violence, and that's too big of a can of worms and too controversial for anyone to tackle. A trend that I think no one wants to recognize is that while unhappy women often turn their hatred inwards and blame themselves, unhappy men are more and more just killing people.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 11:52 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Orpheus wrote:
The connection to domestic violence is really the Cassandra to this whole crisis IMO, because it points to it being part of a larger pattern of men and violence, and that's too big of a can of worms and too controversial for anyone to tackle. A trend that I think no one wants to recognize is that while unhappy women often turn their hatred inwards and blame themselves, unhappy men are more and more just killing people.

This is an interesting point. I am familiar with depression and suicide stats w.r.t gun violence, but haven't ever looked at the domestic violence angle. I'd be interested in reading more if it's something you are familiar with. And yeah, the whole question of how to balance male fragility and violence without exacerbating it as global culture skews towards what we traditionally think of as feminine is tough one.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 2:29 pm 
AnalLog

Just from what I've read domestic violence is the one common thread in nearly all the little shits who commit mass shootings. It's interesting, sad, and pathetic. Male fragility, the older I get the more I see it.

Combine male fragility with white male fragility and well now you have a supernova of violence.

PostPosted: Fri January 26, 2018 2:55 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

jwfocker wrote:
Male fragility, the older I get the more I see it.

Maybe it is age, but I see it more now as well. The pace of economic change is so rapid it feels like people who are unwilling to move with it are getting crushed. Mix that with the mindless stupidity of the anti-male perspective of third wave feminism and you have a recipe for violence. But it's such an individual thing... I wouldn't even know how to begin addressing it. I do mentoring in the workplace to try and help people who maybe stuck in dead-end careers and jobs, but it often falls flat because they are to fragile to be willing to change.*

*says a middle-aged guy on a pearl jam fan board
** 'unofficial' fan board

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate