The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wish You Were Here - The Pink Floyd + Solo Thread
PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 7:53 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Thanks, Sarge.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 8:44 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

No probs. Great footage, looks like it was an amazing show.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 12:42 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

:thumbsup:

Our VIP swag arrived in the mail. There are also 4 lithographs underneath.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 1:25 pm 

Looks fantastic. He puts on a hell of a show.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 1:26 pm 

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:

I think I caught the best moments on those videos. Honestly, I was somewhat underwhelmed with most of the show. But like I said before, a less than perfect Waters show is far better than most.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 2:31 pm 
A Return To Form

PHATJ wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:

I think I caught the best moments on those videos. Honestly, I was somewhat underwhelmed with most of the show. But like I said before, a less than perfect Waters show is far better than most.

just based on your pics, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and scalping two tix to the DC show.

fuck it, buy the ticket, take the ride...

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 3:15 pm 

diesel wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:

just based on your pics, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and scalping two tix to the DC show.

fuck it, buy the ticket, take the ride...

It's definitely an experience, and pretty spectacular visually. If you haven't seen a Roger show before, I recommend it for sure.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 5:24 pm 
Future Drummer

well, i enjoyed it anyway. it was nice to see a non-album focused show after both waters and gilmour's last few tours have been centered around a certain record. it felt more like roger's 99-00 tour and i enjoyed those shows a lot.

i got a little choked up during two songs, one of these days and time. one of these days was THE song that hooked me on pink floyd when i was 14 and listening on my walkman at my kitchen table. and during the song i had one of those 'i wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for that moment' type reflections and it got to me. and then in time, the 'and then one day you find ten years have got behind you...' line hit me, too. it's one thing to hear those words when you're 20. it's another when you're pushing 40 and can *really* understand.

rogers new stuff fit in really well. it's his most floyd-sounding solo record, so that's not much of a surprise i guess. in the dark side tour you had things like that awful beirut song that made half the arena go take a piss and perfect sense that, while a good song in its usual context, didn't fit in with that show at all.

the band was good, and lucius really shined. very cool of roger to give them such a prominent role and support them, and cool of them to put their own music to the side a bit so they can do this for the next couple of years. other than a hiccup in the transition from brain damage to eclipse that roger actually had to stop the show to sync the timing of one of the effects, it was clear this was a group of musicians that had found its legs and were playing well together. no, it's not pink floyd, but i would say this band has come the closest to doing so of any of the bands i've seen him with. it was kind of weird, i found myself closing my eyes a lot and just listening and grooving along instead of trying to take in the spectacle. the battersea visuals and everything were great and really impressive, but they didn't hold my attention this time and instead i was concentrating on the songs. it'd been awhile since i listened to any significant amount of floyd music, and it's always nice to rediscover why you love something in the first place, and this show certainly did that for me.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 5:41 pm 
Stone's Bitch

great review - agreed with the sentiments.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 8:37 pm 

AndySlash wrote:
well, i enjoyed it anyway. it was nice to see a non-album focused show after both waters and gilmour's last few tours have been centered around a certain record. it felt more like roger's 99-00 tour and i enjoyed those shows a lot.

i got a little choked up during two songs, one of these days and time. one of these days was THE song that hooked me on pink floyd when i was 14 and listening on my walkman at my kitchen table. and during the song i had one of those 'i wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for that moment' type reflections and it got to me. and then in time, the 'and then one day you find ten years have got behind you...' line hit me, too. it's one thing to hear those words when you're 20. it's another when you're pushing 40 and can *really* understand.

rogers new stuff fit in really well. it's his most floyd-sounding solo record, so that's not much of a surprise i guess. in the dark side tour you had things like that awful beirut song that made half the arena go take a piss and perfect sense that, while a good song in its usual context, didn't fit in with that show at all.

the band was good, and lucius really shined. very cool of roger to give them such a prominent role and support them, and cool of them to put their own music to the side a bit so they can do this for the next couple of years. other than a hiccup in the transition from brain damage to eclipse that roger actually had to stop the show to sync the timing of one of the effects, it was clear this was a group of musicians that had found its legs and were playing well together. no, it's not pink floyd, but i would say this band has come the closest to doing so of any of the bands i've seen him with. it was kind of weird, i found myself closing my eyes a lot and just listening and grooving along instead of trying to take in the spectacle. the battersea visuals and everything were great and really impressive, but they didn't hold my attention this time and instead i was concentrating on the songs. it'd been awhile since i listened to any significant amount of floyd music, and it's always nice to rediscover why you love something in the first place, and this show certainly did that for me.

Nice review. Man. I'm glad you had such a powerful experience. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 2:14 pm 
A Return To Form

AndySlash wrote:
...and then in time, the 'and then one day you find ten years have got behind you...' line hit me, too. it's one thing to hear those words when you're 20. it's another when you're pushing 40 and can *really* understand.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm going Saturday. Im getting pumped!

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 1:33 pm 
A Return To Form

thoroughly enjoyed Saturdays show. the production is outstanding. surround sound tape effects, the videos, the power plant, and musically I thought this current band is the best that he's had in the past three tours (dark side, wall, current).

PostPosted: Sat December 30, 2017 4:15 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Picture a shithouse
with no fucking drain.
Picture a leader
with no fucking brain.

And he says it with such genuine menace that he could be threatening you, or the leader.

PostPosted: Sat December 30, 2017 5:38 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I have a lot of very extreme opinions about this year's Roger Waters album and they are complicated but fuck the best qualities are wowzers.

PostPosted: Sat December 30, 2017 9:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Also "if I were god I believe I could have done a better job" is the most Roger Waters line of all time.

PostPosted: Sat December 30, 2017 10:07 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I liked Water´s new album. Only listened twice but it was alright.

PostPosted: Sat December 30, 2017 10:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

VinylGuy wrote:
I liked Water´s new album. Only listened twice but it was alright.

It's super derivative of his earlier work (its pretty literally Amused to Death doing a decent Dark Side of the Moon impression), and a few moments are embarrassingly preachy, but Roger got all the anger in the divorce, and that continues to make his work feel uniquely vital amongst his peers. I'd place it above any post-Roger Floyd work, and I *like* those records.

PostPosted: Sat December 30, 2017 10:33 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah, it reminds me of Amused To Death. Thats my favorite Waters album.

PostPosted: Sat December 30, 2017 10:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

VinylGuy wrote:
Yeah, it reminds me of Amused To Death. Thats my favorite Waters album.

Yeah same

PostPosted: Sat December 30, 2017 10:46 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I saw Waters in 2001 here in argentina. Stadium show but before he went huge with the Floyd shows. He did a lot of ATD, and it was awesome...felt like it was still a creative force.

Then i saw him playing Dark Side and i loved because its my favorite Floyd album but not the same. And i didnt went to the The Wall shows, but i had the feeling he become the parody he escaped for so long. Huge, huge shows. Very successful, but overall it felt like an old thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands